Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby Test DCPs download site (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby Test DCPs download site
Rayjohn Tagayon
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2017 04:12 AM      Profile for Rayjohn Tagayon   Email Rayjohn Tagayon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before a software update on our servers (Dolby DSS220) it had these test DCPs. For example one had just a screen that tells you its flat and one that says it's scope, another one tells you where the L, R, C, Lfe, Ls, Rs channels are supposed to be coming from on your setup. Basically DCPs for calibration.

After the update done by the guys that supplied us the server and the projector, they were all gone. We were warned, to be honest, that it's going to do a reformat of the drives but I just gave the go signal thinking we could always download them somewhere. Problem is I can't seem to find any of those available online and in DCP format so any help with a link to download will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-06-2017 05:27 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An 'update' does not require a reformat. That was an 'install' and unless there was a good reason for doing that (issues with the server), it was not necessary.
The same service engineer should have reloaded those CPL's for you and it's where I would go and ask in the first place.

Rayjohn Tagayon
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2017 09:09 AM      Profile for Rayjohn Tagayon   Email Rayjohn Tagayon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah we were having some issues with the server back then when the "install" was done. Unfortunately they don't have the same DCPs with them

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-06-2017 11:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby, on their "Dolby Customer" site has most of the factory issued bits. They don't have the "masking" DCPs up there and possibly not the blanks (never looked). Countdown is there as is the channel ID.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-06-2017 12:22 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a bit obscure as to which people/companies Dolby actually grants access to this site or considers as 'their' customers. Trumpism comes to mind ;-)

- Carsten

Rayjohn Tagayon
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2017 08:33 PM      Profile for Rayjohn Tagayon   Email Rayjohn Tagayon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great I hope my registration will be approved. Thanks

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-06-2017 11:56 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely they must have some sort of channel ID and framing chart CPL's with them?

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-07-2017 07:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are bazillons framing charts via the features as well as every projector that I know. Heck, push come to shove, take a projector framing chart you like and MAKE it a DCP!

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2017 07:10 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How? My very most favorite framing charts ever are the ones on Christie projectors with the red "out of bounds" area, and I would love to have those in DCP format.

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2017 09:08 AM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
It's a bit obscure as to which people/companies Dolby actually grants access to this site or considers as 'their' customers.
Yes, my registration has been denied before. I still try anyway from time to time, just for fun.
quote:
We regret to inform you that we cannot register you with a Dolby Customer Portal access. This Portal is primarily used by Dolby Authorized Dealers and trained Dolby Cinema installers/integrators.
The funny thing is, their own form makes you select "Theater projectionist/manager" as a customer type.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-07-2017 09:32 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Pietro Clarici
The funny thing is, their own form makes you select "Theater projectionist/manager" as a customer type.
Of course, as they need a reason to reject your application. ;-)

quote: Ken Lackner
How? My very most favorite framing charts ever are the ones on Christie projectors with the red "out of bounds" area, and I would love to have those in DCP format.
You pull them from the projector and feed them into DCP-o-matic.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag

- posted 03-07-2017 11:58 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken, transfer the test chart to your computer (it is just a PNG file). Then use DCP O MATIC to turn that into a DCP of your desired length (20-seconds to a minute should be more than sufficient since most people just pause the server with the clip running). I suggest to convert it with the maximum bit rate to retain the image the best and you don't want to do any scaling as it is full container.

If your question is how to get the file off of the projector, use the DLP control program (it is the easiest). It does require passwords and that I can't help you with.

-Steve

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2017 12:50 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Steve. I actually do have those test patterns on my computer because I like to load them onto non-Christie DLP projectors (did I mention they are my absolute favorite?) and I am well familiar with the TI programs. It's the converting to DCP I know nothing about. I guess I'll have to play around with DCP-o-Matic. Can't be too difficult to figure out, right?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-09-2017 01:43 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken

The process is a little awkward but it's just a few clicks. I'm sure there's a guide somewhere or I can post a bullet point list when I'm back home.
However, I like my charts to have flat and scope on the same chart so you don't have to switch between CPL's

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2017 04:58 AM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken Lackner
Can't be too difficult to figure out, right?
  • Open DCP-o-matic
  • File -> New and specify a folder
  • Add file(s)... and choose your PNG
  • Timing tab, change full length to the required DCP length and click "Set"
  • Jobs -> Make DCP...
quote: Marco Giustini
The process is a little awkward
Suggestions on how to make it less awkward are always welcome [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: