Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 4 IMS changed in a NEC1100L

Author Topic: 4 IMS changed in a NEC1100L
Carles Miralles
Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2017 12:07 PM      Profile for Carles Miralles   Author's Homepage   Email Carles Miralles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi to everyone! It's my first topic here, I am writing you from Spain to introduce our problem.
We installed the NEC 1100L two years ago, and we have had to change the IMS1000 for four times, last one was last week. It has always been replaced under warranty but the loss of cancelling show it’s never covered and we are now waiting for an evaluation from NEC,
I’d like to know if some one of you have ever heard of this problems and which the solution was.
The last IMS to be installed is DOLBY2000
Many thanks to you in advance.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-04-2017 02:43 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While we have not lost any IMS1000 (or IMS2000), we got them VERY late in production (on the IMS1000). The IMS1000 cannot be turned off without a proper shutdown. Are you all ALWAYS shutting the unit down properly? I'd suspect that one has to ensure that the unit is getting good air flow too. Since everything is crammed on that one unit, things could be getting hot. Additionally, they had problems with their first hardware raid board but that has since been replaced.

Carles Miralles
Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2017 02:55 PM      Profile for Carles Miralles   Author's Homepage   Email Carles Miralles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

thanks for your answer. Shutting down procedure was reviewed since first change and we are sure we are following the right one.
If temperature was too high, I understand that logs extraction should advise of it. But nothing by the moment.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-04-2017 05:08 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are so many reports about dead IMS1000, especially early revisions. They simply seem to be far away from the robustness of other 'classic' servers. Also, if somethings fails on these units, you can't pop in another board, power supply, etc.. Except for discs and raid card, there is nothing that can be fixed on site.

You can only hope they learned their lesson with the IMS1000 and sooner or later you may end up with all your IMS's being IMS2000.

- Carsten

Carles Miralles
Film Handler

- posted 03-04-2017 05:13 PM      Profile for Carles Miralles   Author's Homepage   Email Carles Miralles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carsten,
so you say that they are really changing many IMS1000 in Germany?
It's interesting. Our local dealer in Spain says that yes, they have changed some of them but never 4 times same projector.
We have asked to some Spanish coleagues and none of them has gotten the same problem.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-04-2017 08:29 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had two 1000's in the past several years that were DOA.I simply steer customers away from obtaining them at all now. Not worth the aggravation and all the associated down time.

Mark

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-05-2017 07:04 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always in the same machine MAY hint to an issue with that projector as well, but still, the IMS1000 was ill fated from the start. Hopefully you'll have more luck with the IMS2000. Featurewise, it's the better deal anyway.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-05-2017 07:12 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other than being okay with not doing the shutdown procedure (still recommended but not essential, I've asked numerous times now), what big new features do you find in the IMS2000? It is notably faster, so that is a plus but what else?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 03-05-2017 09:37 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we just hope it works this time [Smile]

Carles Miralles
Film Handler

- posted 03-05-2017 11:52 AM      Profile for Carles Miralles   Author's Homepage   Email Carles Miralles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carsten,
I am waiting for an Evaluation from NEC because I also think there is a problem with the projector. But as far I see here IMS 1000 is always giving problems.

Steve,
IMS 2000 seems to be quicker in all the procedures and seems to work finner than 1000.

Thanks to everybody

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-05-2017 02:15 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You an go deep into the logs of the projector and look at every DC voltage in the unit. IMHO excessive DC voltage would be about all that might cause this. And if that happened to say X DC voltage the projector would throw an error and the power supply might actually shut down. Lack of cooling might be another so go back over the temperature logs of the projector and see if you note any increases over the days leading up to when it failed. Generally NEC's do not have any cooling issues at all. And again if a fan was running under speed the tail light would go red.

Mark

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-05-2017 04:45 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Other than being okay with not doing the shutdown procedure (still recommended but not essential, I've asked numerous times now), what big new features do you find in the IMS2000? It is notably faster, so that is a plus but what else?
 -

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-05-2017 08:17 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! It has Ghost Busting!! The 1000 did not.

Carles Miralles
Film Handler

- posted 03-06-2017 03:04 AM      Profile for Carles Miralles   Author's Homepage   Email Carles Miralles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,

that's what I suggested to the local dealer and NEC. Now they ensure me that they are going through it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 03-06-2017 04:14 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's very good. NEC has always stood behind their products very well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: