Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DSS100 Serial Port

Author Topic: DSS100 Serial Port
Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2017 09:09 PM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know just how "fussy" a DSS100 is in having all the handshaking lines linked thru to the device it is controlling?

Currently we are trying for a work around after the Eprad Automation unit died as the only real need for it is to toggle the JSD60 to Non Sync & then back to Digital sound etc.
The installer (who is way remote from the site & myself) is looking at the programming side of suitable commands in the DSS100 to switch sound sources.
I have the job of sorting out the RS232 comms between the two devices.
Have plenty of info on the JSD60 & some further helpful advice from Harold at USL which is much appreciated. Thanks Harold.

The JSD links back Pin 1 DCD to pins 4 & 6.
Pins 7 & 8 are also internally linked so in theory one only needs 2 wires plus ground to run between the 2 units.
Pin 2 goes to Pin 3 at the JSD end & Pin 2 goes to Pin 3 at the DSS100 end & Pin 5 carries the earth.

Lurking at the back of my mind is that somewhere I have seen a mention that the DSS100 required FULL handshaking before it would function correctly & to achieve that I would have to dive into the JSD60 & rewire the Serial port socket so it followed correctly the RS232 protocols.

I am hoping that I am mistaken and that the DSS100 is NOT a fussy animal when it comes to RS232 talk.

Anyone got any experience with a DSS100 serial port and possibly working with a JSD60.
This is a drive in setup so they do not really need lights & curtains or masking controls like a hardtop would.
Although automated lights WOULD be a good function to have available but that means replacing the dead Eprad.
Being a community run cinema the funds simply 'aint there.

Lindsay

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-03-2017 07:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The DSS100 only needs the 3 wires (just two if you don't need to issue transport commands back to the DSS100. Wires 7&8 are internally jumpered. It is the eCNA automations that need 7&8.

So you should have no problem sending the DSS100 serial outs to a suitable serial device. There are also products that will convert RS232 to Ethernet (Lantronix have very reliable ones).

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2017 10:09 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The latest version of the JSD-60 can also do "serial to Ethernet conversion." I have to check as to exactly which version this was introduced in, but I believe it's been available for a while. Here's the command description from the USL engineering wiki.

jsd60.sys.tcp_send .
Send a string to a device over Ethernet.

Tab delimited arguments are
Most significant byte of IP address
Next byte of IP address
Next byte of IP address
Least significant byte of IP address
Port to send string to
String to send. Control characters can be backslash escaped (\t \r, etc.).

Sample command (with tabs not shown):
jsd60.sys.tcp_send 192 168 1 123 10001
lss100.sys.capture_spl\tSPL Left Mid\t80\t85\r

Harold

Lindsay Morris
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2017 07:35 PM      Profile for Lindsay Morris   Email Lindsay Morris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve & Harold... much appreciated.

Will do some further voltage checks this weekend (in line with Harold's recommendation) on the DSS100 whilst I am up there helping them celebrate their re-furbishment of the kitchen & the kiosk areas..along with a bit of Air Conditioning.
Looks like being 40C there today so by 6pm when the kiosk opens without A/C it would be blisteringly hot inside.
So the locals will really be celebrating if the kiosk area is much cooler. [Wink]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: