Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » "T2-Trainspotting" : Loud Audio?

Author Topic: "T2-Trainspotting" : Loud Audio?
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2017 03:38 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've run a couple of press screenings recently for "T2- Trainspotting",
which doesn't open for at least another month here in the USA, but
which has been in release for some time in most other countries.

So, here's a question for my foreign friends:
How was the audio mix on the version you've played?

The reason I ask is that on the versions I've got, the music & efx seem
to be recorded excruciatingly loud, while the dialogue track is often
too soft. It's extremely hard to find a 'happy medium' for both levels.

Even the bar-graph level indicators on my CP650's show a much higher
level for music & efx at the processor than most of the films I get.

It's really obvious, especially at the very beginning of the movie,
where the opening scene is very loud, but the first dialogue scene
(about two minutes in) is almost incomprehensible, partly due to the
lower level, plus the bad, slightly echo-y acoustics of the room it was
recorded in, & made even worse by the fact that the two characters are
speaking with a very thick accent that many Americans (myself included)
find difficult to understand even under good acoustical conditions.
(Maybe I should ask for an "open caption" version! lol!)

I realize there's not much I can do about my apparent lack of linguistical
auditory acuity, but have any of "you guys" who have already played
this film had any issue with the audio levels? Or might it just be the
"USA Version", as my per-release DCP is marked?

(And, no- - it's not likely to be my system or auditorium. I've screened
3 different films today, and have just got through 6 or 8 weeks of multiple
daily 'academy' screenings for various studios, and this is the only film
I've gotten audio complaints about.)
[Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-02-2017 06:13 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few "hot" releases at the moment. Both Underword 7 and John Wick 2 needed turning down to 4.5 when i ran them.

What is a fader setting in equivalent to decibel levels?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-02-2017 09:39 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are different curves on different processors.

- Carsten

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2017 05:10 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I presume it was the same everywhere; it certainly was loud my cinema, especially the opening music. I recall that i played the whole film about one number lower than most other features, if not even 1.5 lower; however i automated the opening to be half a number lower still and then a turn up half a notch once the dialogue started.

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2017 09:58 AM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're playing it about -3dB lower than usual (7.0), which translates into 6.0-6.2 on the AP20.

Audiomix is dynamic and indeed "agressive" but it NEEDS to be loud or it doesn't work. Great mix! Tons of music on the surrounds, so you will definitely notice when your surround speakers are too small (98% of all cinemas).

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 03-03-2017 07:14 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sascha - is that the original version, or the dubbed version?

- Carsten

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-03-2017 08:23 PM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Original version with german subs, I could not test the german dubbed version.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 03-11-2017 01:46 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is why the god-techs gave us threshold limiters.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2017 11:40 AM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Brown
There are a few "hot" releases at the moment. Both Underword 7 and John Wick 2 needed turning down to 4.5 when i ran them.
I also had this issue with the 5.1 mixes for LEGO Batman and Kong: Skull Island, the dialogue on both those movies sounded almost faint at times. I've yet to hear T2's 5.1 mix.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-14-2017 12:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We haven't played Kong yet but the dialogue on Lego Batman sounded the same as normal to me here.

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-14-2017 12:34 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran this with the director earlier in the week and he wanted it at reference, was the 20170307 version of the CPL, sounds like they also had an earlier version 20170306 that they didn't run

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: