Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Problem to recognize Dolby Atmos in Dolby server (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Problem to recognize Dolby Atmos in Dolby server
Jordi Aguila
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2017 05:27 AM      Profile for Jordi Aguila   Email Jordi Aguila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

If anyone knows nothing about this issue with dolby servers:

I've just generated an 4K DCP with 5.1 and Atmos and it works ok in a Barco server with external Dolby Atmos decoder hardware, but in a Theater with Dolby server it was impossible that the server played the first atmos reel. When the movie enters in the 2nd reel the Atmos is recognized and it plays from 2nd reel to the end. They tried to put a litle DCP with atmos before our DCP in the server show playlist, but it dosen't recognize the Atmos of the first reel too.

I've generated the DCP without tails in atmos files (at the begining and at the end), the first frame of the file is the First Frame Of Action. Could be this the cause of this issue with only Dolby servers?

If I generated a DCP with the atmos files with tails but the mxf with the PCM audio that have the Synch track in ch14 is generated by my program without tails, could happend the same issue?

Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-17-2017 07:10 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should probably identify WHICH Dolby server you are using (with Dolby now owning the Doremi servers, confusion can set in). Additionally, what software are your servers running that are having the problem. Lastly, have you called/asked anyone at Dolby?

Jordi Aguila
Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2017 07:21 AM      Profile for Jordi Aguila   Email Jordi Aguila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Dolby server DSS220. I ignore the firmware version but the Dolby technician tolds me that the firmware that they have is from 4 months ago.

This Dolby technician tolds to me that he knows that in some cases if the atmos mxf into the DCP don't have tails, the server could not reproduce/detect it. The strange thing is that I did a DCP test before of 30seconds of the same material only cutting the end, the start is the same, without tails, and it worked, but with the full DCP the first reel dosen't work, I don't know if could be by the lenght of the files to proces (more lenght, more information to preprocess and because of that Dolby server can not play the first atmos reel if that don't have tail at the begining).

Any one have idea and solution about this?

Thank you!!

Kevin Fairchild
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-17-2017 10:00 AM      Profile for Kevin Fairchild   Email Kevin Fairchild   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're running a DSS220 with version 4.8.6.13

We have to reboot the server after ingesting Atmos content before the CP850 detects the Atmos audio for that clip. It will only play the PCM audio until a reboot. I've only tried rebooting everything at once, projector, CAT745, DSS220, CP850. You maybe only need to reboot one of them.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-17-2017 10:16 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would start by ensuring you are on 4.8.9.12 (if you click on the Dolby icon in the lower left corner, the splash screen will come up. This will ensure you have the latest fixes/revs on your server. I'd still discuss it with Dolby directly but they too will likely recommend that you ensure you are on 4.8.9.12.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-17-2017 03:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be sure to have your raincoat on when that splash screen pops up!

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-17-2017 03:17 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4 months?

4.8.6-13 was released in July 2015. The update may or may not resolve the problem but I'd stay away from that "dolby" technician [Smile]

Jordi Aguila
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2017 10:37 AM      Profile for Jordi Aguila   Email Jordi Aguila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand by your answers that the issue could be related with the firmware of the server, isn't it? And not by the DCP.

But, why other atmos DCPs don't have this problem in this server? Could be because they have one litle reel of 1sec lenght before the first reel of the movie? or Because the other DCPs have tails in they reels? The software that I've used to do the DCP (is a broadcast hardware-software) have a workflow that allways cuts the mxfs and don't keep tails, I can do it but is more complicated to masterize, more steps, etc...

In any way, I don't understand why my DCP works in a Barco Alchemy and D.Atmos external processor but in the DSS200 have this issue.

Are all of you agree that the problem is in the server and not in the DCP? (Taking the example of Kevin answer about to need to reboot server after the DCP ingest process).

Looking forward to your opinions.

Thank you for your feedbacks.

Jordi Aguila
Film Handler

- posted 02-18-2017 04:02 PM      Profile for Jordi Aguila   Email Jordi Aguila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The firmware version that they have now is v.4.8.8.14

Looking forward for more replys.

Thanks again.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-18-2017 06:21 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
any chance you mean 4.8.8-4? And why not going to the latest 4.8.9-12?

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-19-2017 07:14 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Questions on the technical details of ATMOS DCP prodction/packaging requirements would best be sent to the Dolby studio technical support people.

Jordi Aguila
Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2017 01:18 PM      Profile for Jordi Aguila   Email Jordi Aguila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today our dcp has been tested in another theater with a dolby DS200i server with firmware 4.8.5.12 and Dolby Atmos played perfectly.
What can we deduce with this? The problem could be in the firmware version?

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-23-2017 02:04 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another important question is your CP850 on the latest firmware?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-23-2017 04:57 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there has been a 4.8.5-21, not -12, unless you have some software I am not aware of, writing down the correct version could help others diagnosing your issue.

Jordi Aguila
Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2017 04:03 AM      Profile for Jordi Aguila   Email Jordi Aguila   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More news about the issue:

The projectionist that says that the DCP worked fine with Atmos when he tested first time, now he says that in the screening that they did yesterday the issue that we had happened, CP850 reverted to PCM audio. The issue is exactly the same if we take a look:

1st Dolbys server theater issue:
They tested and at the first time all works fine. On the next day, the Atmos was not recognized and changes to PCM only in the firs reel.

2on Dolby server theater issue:
The same procedure than the other theater and the same results.

I'm thinking that if they ingest and plays the DCP without restarting the equipement it works and at the next day, they open all the equipement and the issue hapens.

Do you think that could hapen this?

Thank you

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: