Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCP Equipment Package needed for Theatre

Author Topic: DCP Equipment Package needed for Theatre
Svjetlana Oppen
Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2017 01:01 PM      Profile for Svjetlana Oppen   Email Svjetlana Oppen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I am rather new here, but I do need your help. I am looking to price out complete package for our theatre. We are local festival here in Canada and we are deciding on owning instead renting. The screen size is 30' x 15' and theatre seats 560, also the projector sits 70' from the screen. Besides the projector, we use 2 servers so we can load alternative days during the festival (around 8-10 features a day), without interrupting screenings (they run all day). We also use switchers (we used Gefen) for alternative content. Any recommendations about best brand for the price or anything to look out for would be appreciated. Thank you!

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 02-14-2017 03:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact Gord McLeod in Toronto.

Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2017 10:11 PM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend ProjecTech and National Leasing. OK to use my name, as for PA.

Gordon McCloud is GREAT

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 02-14-2017 10:42 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Projectech folks do my work too.

Svjetlana Oppen
Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2017 12:31 PM      Profile for Svjetlana Oppen   Email Svjetlana Oppen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for the suggestions. I'll follow up on these.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 02-15-2017 12:56 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be aware that if you buy this stuff and use it once a year, you may have a problem. D-cinema equipment was designed for cinemas that are open every day. If you let it sit for months without power (or even in standby mode), some of the crypto hardware will fail and need to be replaced. I know of one college that learned this lesson expensively. You will want to find a way to power up the projector and server for a bit at least once every month or two in order to avoid this.

Svjetlana Oppen
Film Handler

- posted 02-15-2017 12:59 PM      Profile for Svjetlana Oppen   Email Svjetlana Oppen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Scott! Information worth knowing. We are planning to do screenings more then once a year if we purchase the equipment, and I will keep this in mind for sure.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-17-2017 05:49 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I expect Pierre Charron from Projectech will be in touch with you if you don't call him. This is a well watched forum.

You could own one full projection package to do your festival and non-festival screenings, and rent a second server during the festival for your plan to load alternate days. If you get an identical server, you may be able to just swap out the RAID drive set rather than swap complete servers.

There are other options to handle many films - ie a server with larger storage capacity or using an external computer for content storage and moving shows into the server via network - considerably faster than ingesting directly from distribution media. Having two servers and a second projector during the festival allows test screening your films while the main projector is in use - prescreening is usually a requirement at festivals to check subtitles etc.

There are a lot of projector options but once the lamp power required is known (basically this is proportional to screen size) the choices will be narrowed down considerably, each D-Cinema projector brand has models to suit normal screen sizes.

Svjetlana Oppen
Film Handler

- posted 03-10-2017 01:33 PM      Profile for Svjetlana Oppen   Email Svjetlana Oppen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for this valuable input! I am in touch with ProjecTech now, and hope we can work something out.

Ben Schulz
Film Handler

- posted 03-16-2017 07:07 PM      Profile for Ben Schulz   Email Ben Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kramer do some really nice Cinema Scalers and other alternative gear for Cinema.

Allan Barnes
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-19-2017 08:57 PM      Profile for Allan Barnes   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Barnes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did the equipment work out for you? I'm close(ish) 2 hours away in Grand Bend

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: