Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Resident Evil: The Final Chapter sound mix

Author Topic: Resident Evil: The Final Chapter sound mix
Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2017 07:10 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else playing this have a issue with it being mixed really "hot". Had to bang the fader right down to 4.5 to get it down to a resonable volume.

Edit: ok just noticed somone even started a thread on imdb about it.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2592614/board/nest/265650415?ref_=tt_bd_6

|  IP: Logged

Marlon Martins
Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2017 07:22 PM      Profile for Marlon Martins   Email Marlon Martins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a while ago I installed audio compressors in the front/center/LFE channels to fix this problem (a lot of movies had just too much dynamic range). movies like "Interstellar" and "In the Heart of the Sea" were horrible to watch. Interstellar had some dialog too low to hear, so we raise the volume up to be able to listen, but then in the "intense" scenes, my ear was bleeding. in "In the Heart of the Sea" there was a scene where it bang a nail with a hammer and I was actually blinking from the loud bang. so, I had to do something [Wink]

so, in the center, I use the compressor to raise low volumes and limit to a safe level. LFE and front channels I only use the limiter function, to it won't go past a certain level, so movies with a "bang" have now a "limited bang" [Wink]

I hate to "disrupt" originality, but my ears safety are more important.

I would also like to know how "you guys" deal with it. just let it be, or not a problem in your systems?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2017 09:32 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't run the movie in question, but I've been screening a
lot of Netflix produced documentaries for Press & Academy
screenings, and I've noticed that on almost all of them I've
run, the level has been quite higher than normal.

In one of the smaller screening rooms I work at, the regular
house volume setting on the CP650 is 5.5 or sometimes 6.
The last Netflix pix I ran there I played at 3 or 3.5 which
was more than loud enough.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-04-2017 12:42 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marlon Martins
a while ago I installed audio compressors in the front/center/LFE channels to fix this problem
I know where this is coming from but I cannot agree with compressors/limiters on a cinema sound system.
Also I must say that every time someone tells me that 5.0 is 'already very loud" and that a higher setting would be very uncomfortable, we then sit together in the auditorium with the fader set to 6.5 and what I usually hear is "well, it's not loud as I thought".

Poor mixes are there. But you shouldn't have a fixed compressor/limiter on your system

Mike Schulz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2017 12:49 PM      Profile for Mike Schulz   Email Mike Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the same problem screening this new Resident Evil movie a couple of weeks ago. I definitely would have blown some speakers (let alone everyone's eardrums) had I run it at 85db. I had our 650 set to 4.8 I think. It was a wicked loud mix.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 02-04-2017 05:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually install limiters on most systems In the past we used the Smart Afterburner

Connor Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-04-2017 06:51 PM      Profile for Connor Wilson   Email Connor Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From my experience, the better the speakers, environment and tuning, the smoother the dynamic range is. The classic example of low dialogue/loud action usually suffers the most on consumer products. On properly-tuned professional/commercial equipment, this transition is rendered with little-to-no ear strain. When I lived in Virginia, I had a home theater cobbled together with thrift store finds, hand-me-downs, eBay purchases, and stuff we already had. I was able to play movies without any dynamic range compression like a charm, but I was never able to blast it without moderately rumbling the whole house.

In the case of RE:tFC, it sounds like there is very little dynamic range to the mix. If the fader had to be put down to 4.5 for a reasonable level, then it sounds like there barely is enough headroom for the mix to breathe. When it comes to Resident Evil movies, I've only seen Apocalypse (which is supposedly the worst one) and that film had horrendous sound design, editing and mixing. The Resident Evil movies do have an active and healthy fan base, who understand that video games and movies are two wildly different art forms (which is why Apocalypse was so bad because it was too close to the games) and argue that Paul W.S. Anderson is an auetur who specializes in precise schlock. They'd probably defend such a "hot" mix as well, because it falls in line with the series' video game-esque aesthetics, which is malarkey considering the sound design and audio options of Naughty Dog's The Last of Us. But that may be an unfair point to make since that game can be described as an interactive movie, as opposed to the Resident Evil movies being linear feature-length cutscenes.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2017 01:23 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From the consumer point of view: if I can tell you're using limiters in your audio system, I'll do my best to never visit your cinema again. If I can't tell but the sound comes off lackluster, I'll avoid the venue.

Just so you know.

Jason Metcalfe
Expert Film Handler

- posted 02-07-2017 03:00 PM      Profile for Jason Metcalfe   Email Jason Metcalfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We took measurements Friday morning and ended up running this feature about 7dB below reference at all of the theaters

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: