Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco DP2k-10S configuration

Author Topic: Barco DP2k-10S configuration
Mayur Patel
Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2017 12:29 PM      Profile for Mayur Patel   Author's Homepage   Email Mayur Patel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please be patient with me as managing projectors is not my forte. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction as I'm having a lot of trouble finding information:

We have a Barco DP2k-10S projector which we are trying to configure for DCI-P3 projection. It's being driven over an SDI cable by a Linux workstation running RV - media player, frame-based, DPX log-encoded or EXR sources in ACES AP1 space.

We're using OCIO, so the RV media player can send DCI-P3 data to the projector over the SDI cable.

We have previously been using the projector in what we *think* was rec709 calibration and color space, using the same software. We are attempting to save the DCI-P3 calibration and configuration in a second macro.

The projector seems to be showing the wrong gamma. Through calibration, we think the primaries are correct, but anything we can do to validate that would be helpful.

We walked through the PCF files available for macros, but nothing seemed to do the trick.

I'm new to the world of PCF, TCGD, etc - so any basic books/manuals/references on what files are needed in a macro for the Barco, and what each one does would be really helpful.

I've stumbled upon Barco's Projector Toolset, and I'm not yet clear whether I can set the desired primaries and gamma, then save that as a macro through that software.

Experienced input would be most appreciated. Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2017 12:41 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mayur Patel
I've stumbled upon Barco's Projector Toolset
If you mean "Communicator Post" then yes you can use that program to verify and change both gamma and the primaries. If you do not have this program you can download it from Barco.com if you gave a log in.
An older version of the ICP and enigma control program also allowed you to change gamma but that feature has been removed on newer versions.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-01-2017 12:49 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The post production version of the communicator is not FOC. It'll work for a month and then you'll have to pay for that.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-01-2017 03:47 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toolset is something altogether different. It is basically a configuration/update utility that, for digital cinema, has fallen out of use when DC Update Companion came into being. However, it is the only way, I know, that one can remove a "service" level use from a Barco touchpanel because it can give you root level for a very brief period of time.

Anyway...onto the problem.

There are several things you need to get configured right on the projector.

First, make sure you are only selecting one SDI input and since you say you have a 10S...where is your SDI input? Did you get an HDSDI module for the projector or are you using an IMB/ICMP? If it is the ICMP then that is where you need to start your configuration since that is what is doing the "heavy lifting" on the SDI signal.

So more information is required.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 02-02-2017 05:11 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trying to do something similar. There is no gamma adjustment I can find in the ICMP using communicator or commander. The manual says you can do on the fly degamma adjustment in DCP playback using metadata... but "how" is very briefly explained and it doesn't apply for alternative content anyway.
Barco support says to make a custom LUT-DG file using Communicator Post. I haven't tried this yet.
The post version does require a license, but I didn't get an invoice for it.
It lets me (severely!) screw up a projector, I can assure you.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 02-02-2017 05:55 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you get a licence for free or just the software in trial mode?

Mayur Patel
Film Handler

- posted 02-08-2017 01:21 PM      Profile for Mayur Patel   Author's Homepage   Email Mayur Patel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Steve

I'm afraid I'm not sure about the SDI connectivity. I'll talk to systems and try to figure it out. It's possible that it's actually a 10Sx because I do believe we have an integrated media server on it...sorry I'm not clear on the details.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: