Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Alternative way of Running 3D with Sony SRX 510 or 515P

Author Topic: Alternative way of Running 3D with Sony SRX 510 or 515P
Samarth Gandhi
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2017 03:20 AM      Profile for Samarth Gandhi   Author's Homepage   Email Samarth Gandhi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any other way to run 3D with Sony Projectors apart from their dual lens, realD lenes and dual projector technology. I am curious whether Polarizing modulators such as volfoni, MI or X-Mirror can be used along with it. Their SXRD technology is said to be a combination of DLP and LCD. All the polarizers working with DLP could be used?

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-27-2017 05:14 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SXRD has nothing to do with DLP and at present SXRD chips cannot "triple flash" as DLP do (thanks God!)

You can install Dolby 3D on a Sony machine if your screen is really small! [Wink]

Samarth Gandhi
Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2017 07:25 AM      Profile for Samarth Gandhi   Author's Homepage   Email Samarth Gandhi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Marco. This is for a large screen Cinema and Dolby would be a very expensive bet again to invest on. I am really hoping an alternative is released soon. Let me know if you come across such technology. Regards. [thumbsup]

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-27-2017 08:07 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would probably need 8 515's to have Dolby 3D on a large screen! [Smile] (random figures, I do not know the light efficiency).

I do not believe that there are any plans to expand 3D to other systems. Sony's selling point for 3D is that it does not flash - which is indeed a big advantage but then you compromise on 2D unless you manually change the lens, which is easily doable with a properly-aligned lens changing table.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-27-2017 11:07 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony had Dolby 3D with the R320, yet they needed a special light-engine to get the spectrum right. I was hoping they would adopt Dolby 3D for the 515 too, but it seems they thought the light output was not enough on this machine. The Dolby 3D solution for the R320 used the same split lens as their polarizing system.

Sony is working on DCI laser solutions, I heard. I expect a spectral separation solution then.
The SXRD panels will probably never be fast enough for triple-flashing, which is bad for your choice of 3D systems for the Sonys, but good for the audience.

With the advent of the new 'white', or low gain/hotspot silver screens, and in combination with higher separation static polarizing filters, I lost my aversion against polarizing 3D systems.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-27-2017 01:52 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Carsten,

I thought Dolby 3D was also available on the R515.

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-27-2017 03:00 PM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once, there was a RealD solution available for the 500 series.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-29-2017 05:04 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Sonys, RealD was only a licensing method. The split lens and filters are always built by Sony, and licensed to RealD in order to have a brand behind it. For the 515, that changed, and the same equipment was available from Sony as an outright buy in most parts of the world, with no RealD contract involved. With a RealD contract, it would run under the same conditions as RealDs Z-Screen, etc. You would also receive a key for a real-time ghostbusting option on the Sony if you licensed with them. If you buy from Sony, you have no access to that ghostbusting enabler key.

So, there was never a second 3D option available for the 515/510.

- Carsten

Samarth Gandhi
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2017 01:52 PM      Profile for Samarth Gandhi   Author's Homepage   Email Samarth Gandhi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks every one. Hope to find an alternative soon for sony 3D.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: