Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » QUBE QCPD are no longer DCI compliant

Author Topic: QUBE QCPD are no longer DCI compliant
Juan Jose Garcia Calvo
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2017 06:49 AM      Profile for Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Email Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.
Anyone heard something about the Qube QCPD server?
It seems that they are no longer DCI compliant...

Our Datasat DC20 is in fact a QUBE QCPD, so we are very worried.
This could be a new problem added to the certificates issue...

|  IP: Logged

Antti Peltorant
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2017 08:28 AM      Profile for Antti Peltorant   Email Antti Peltorant   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello

We have Datasat DC20. I've sent you a message. I'm hoping to get more information from the support.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-19-2017 01:04 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does a DCI certification expire over time?

Leslie Hartmier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2017 05:06 PM      Profile for Leslie Hartmier   Email Leslie Hartmier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. If I recall correctly, there is a time limit on all DCI certs. This is relevant, only if the company that makes the device does not provide new certs.

I will mention, and hopefully Gordon or Steve can chime in, I recall hearing at CinemaCon last year that the Qube certificates were expiring and not being renewed. I might be thinking of something else, however.

The following thread kinda says some unfortunate things that might apply to you... Qube/Datasat DC20 thread in Film-Tech from last year

Leslie

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-19-2017 06:01 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that the certification was different from the certificates?

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-19-2017 08:33 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure these servers have actually been DCI compliant EVER? A lot of equipment has not been DCI certified. Some have been certified later on.

As long as the server is not under VPF compliance regulations, and as long as it will play encrypted content, I wouldn't care about it being DCI compliant or not.

Those certificates running out would really bother me. Would be the last Qube server I'd spent money on.

- Carsten

Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2017 09:21 PM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Sir
Europe Customer care: +44 2076177278
US Customer care: +1 818 748 9057
Australia Customer care: +61 3 9018 5356
Hongkong Customer care: +852 8199 0249

Skype contact id – qubecs1
e-mail id: Support@qubecinema.com

24 x 7 Digital Cinema Support Centre (India)
+91 (044) 43488850

Juan Jose Garcia Calvo
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2017 04:31 AM      Profile for Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Email Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Annli Com:
Are you from any QUBE customer care service?

Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2017 08:13 AM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, But Iam a User Of Qube.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-20-2017 11:22 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I looked at their web site just now not having been there in a long time. It appears they do not have any DCI compliant equipment at all, having discontinued the XP-D. It appears their new IMB is not even DCI Compliant, at least no mention is made that it is. They seem to be after the E-Cinema market these days, rather than D-Cinema.

If you have their equipment or the DTS version... I feel for you...

Mark

Juan Jose Garcia Calvo
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2017 11:36 AM      Profile for Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Email Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IN the DCI CINEMA website , it appears that QUBE have two server DCI compliant:

◾Qube Digital Cinema Server XP-D, Oristar AQ10

◾Qube Xi 4K Integrated Media Block

You can see at:

DIGITAL CINEMA INICIATIVES

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 01-20-2017 12:04 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They discontinued manufacturing the XP-D. And on the page for their IMB is doesn't say anything about it being DCI, although it does say DCI on the XP-D page.

At any rate I'd certainly be very suspicious of buying anything from them since no one seems to be able to get any direct answers out of them. Stick with GDC or Doremi if you have to buy new.

Mark

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2017 03:08 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can check DCI certification at http://www.dcimovies.com/compliant_equipment/ .

Harold

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-20-2017 07:06 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be wrong, but I think Qube never had more than the XP-D and the 4k-IMB for D-Cinema/DCI. I think the DC20 is actually an XP-D, too. So there was never a 'QCPD' on the DCI list of compliant devices.

I don't know how far testing with SMPTE DCPs went on with the Qubes, so, expiration of certificates may be only one of your future problems. It looks indeed as if Qube is not interested in competing within the DCI server market anymore. They have huge numbers in the E-Cinema market and may find this more profitable, together with their mastering and distribution tools.

- Carsten

Juan Jose Garcia Calvo
Film Handler

- posted 01-23-2017 06:31 AM      Profile for Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Email Juan Jose Garcia Calvo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, Carsten.
Now I know that there was no QCPD model, only an old QXPD server and a new QXPD server. This new model can be upgraded to 3.0 versions that are the DCI compliant, but the old QXPD can't, because they can't accept the needed Windows Embedded Estándar 7.
(before, they used Windows XP embedded).
As far as I know, I think our DC20 are equivalent to the NEW QXPD (I think they call V5 chassis), so maybe we can have a chance to update our DC20 to qube 3.0 software, and this way the DCI compliant and the certificates issues will be solved until 2036 year.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: