Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Help figuring out software and logistics of on screen ads...

Author Topic: Help figuring out software and logistics of on screen ads...
Dillon Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2017 02:32 PM      Profile for Dillon Roberts   Email Dillon Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, this is my first post. I am an avid user of some other forum sites (not Cinema related).

I am a General Manager for a small company with 2 locations. We do our own local on screen ads. At our main location we just use our Barco projectors and GDC processors.

At the other location we have a contract with Sony and to use their equipment it will be an extra $1000 per screen. We are looking into adding another system next to the projector to display the ads. By the time we pay $10,000 per year it is worth it to invest in our own set up.

Does any one have any recommendations of a software that we would be able to load, schedule and communicate with a projector. Will most likely do high end office projectors. Thanks in advance!

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-17-2017 02:50 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Static images or full motion?

Is there any reason not to just make everything into a DCP and play it through the cinema projector?

Dillon Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2017 03:03 PM      Profile for Dillon Roberts   Email Dillon Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We would have to pay a HHUUUUGGGGEEE fee to Sony if we did it that way.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 01-17-2017 04:16 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want fast and cheap, go with a Blu-Ray player at each screen. Make a self-looping disk for each auditorium, and change them out as needed. As much as I try to discourage people from using Blu-Ray as an exhibition format, it works well enough for this sort of application if all you want is looping content.

The next step up would be a digital signage player or a hard-disk or SSD video player. I am sure that someone else here will understand the digital signage market more than I do. For video players, look at the AJA Ki-Pro series and the Sound Devices Pix series. The rack-mount version of the AJA is RS422-controllable if you want to have a timed program started by your automation system (assuming that you have an automation system).

I don't know much about the current generation of tabletop video projectors. Maybe someone else does.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-17-2017 04:47 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dillon Roberts
We would have to pay a HHUUUUGGGGEEE fee to Sony if we did it that way.
Wow - just for advertizing? What about trailers for Movies? I understand you would have to pay for alternative content, but ads?

Anyway - what is your (flat) screen size and throw?

- Carsten

Dillon Roberts
Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2017 05:02 PM      Profile for Dillon Roberts   Email Dillon Roberts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help, Scott. I will look into that.

Carsten, off of the top of my head I am not sure on throw. It is a pretty good distance.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-17-2017 05:17 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're using one of those little hookup to your laptop type of projectors, you could probably just screw it to the ceiling somewhere close to your screen.

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 01-17-2017 05:30 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
If you're using one of those little hookup to your laptop type of projectors, you could probably just screw it to the ceiling somewhere close to your screen.
At least in the litigious environment of the US, this can be risky. If one has no training or experience in rigging, then it is probably best to not own the liability for this sort of work. If the machine falls and hits someone on the head, the resulting lawsuit would probably put the theatre out of business.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-17-2017 06:22 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
If you want fast and cheap, go with a Blu-Ray player at each screen. Make a self-looping disk for each auditorium, and change them out as needed.
Even easier would be a media tank like a Popcorn Hour box. Just put the content on a USB stick. This way it's easy to use static ads or video, and you don't have to write a new disk for every change. This also allows you to use a variety of different video formats with having to do any conversions.

Bill Brandenstein
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-17-2017 07:03 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Justin, like this one?

I'm curious what anyone's used to author a Blu-ray disc. I've only used Adobe Encore, now frozen at the CS6 version, and it's got to be a pain to use for something so dynamic as pre-show ads.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-17-2017 07:28 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill, that should work, but it's probably overkill for the application. Although the ability to show 4K is a plus. We are using a lower version to play a lobby trailer look of 720p trailers pulled from YouTube. We just plug in a USB stick with the files and press play. Works just fine for our application.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-18-2017 06:39 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are zillion ways to play videos or slides. The question is, what works reliable in a specific environment, also ruling in staff.

How do you prep the screen ads for the other location? In what formats do you get them? Will you play the same ads at both locations? Again, what is the screen size?

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: