Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » What to check if Christie IMB Gray

Author Topic: What to check if Christie IMB Gray
Christopher Perkins
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2017 12:24 PM      Profile for Christopher Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the projectors IMB this morning was appearing gray. Well we restarted the IMB at least several times and unplugged the projector. Christie was ready to send out a tech because the IMB wasn't connecting or the NAS. Come to find out the cable to ingest the movie was still plugged in. That solved the problem. Just as simple as that.

I am adding that to the list of things to check before I call Christie.

Tell me some thing that you came across the would fix a gray IMB. That way I can add it to my check list.

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-05-2017 06:02 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had the same thing once on our Sony, would hang in a boot-loop because of an ingest drive that was still connected. Doesn't happen with all drives, though, only with certain types.

- Carsten

Kristo Nalo
Film Handler

- posted 01-05-2017 11:26 PM      Profile for Kristo Nalo   Email Kristo Nalo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here guys I thought I'm the only one that encountered this kind of bug. Like you guys I always wasted my time to reboot it and hope there's a permanent solution from this error.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2017 12:51 AM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grey IMB on a Christie with an IMB-S2 has always been an issue of the CRU adapter still being powered on and plugged in with no drive inserted for us. Only exception was very early in the life of our Solaria Ones (which were some of the first units in the wild), Christie cheaped out on the CF cards the house the firmware for the IMBs and they would come up grey when the CF card inevitably failed. We actually had them replace all of the CF cards in all of the projectors once it happened a second time and the Christie NOC accidentally spilled the beans that they knew they were all going to fail eventually.

Christopher Perkins
Film Handler

- posted 01-08-2017 03:59 PM      Profile for Christopher Perkins   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Perkins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just offended that they wanted to send out a tech for something so simple. It just so stupid. The over think solutions

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-08-2017 04:47 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I were you I would be more offended if they didn't want to deal with it. Service is service, after all.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 01-11-2017 01:36 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you are talking about a half million dollars worth (or even more) of mission-critical equipment the right thing to do is to send a technician, even if the job is simple.

The tech's job is to make sure that your equipment works right and stays working.

What if it wasn't just a corrupt CF/memory card? What would you do, then? Call a technician?

I understand that you wanted to do the repair yourself. I have no doubt about your ability to complete the work.

I just think you need to look at the situation a little more objectively.

Andrew Thomas
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-11-2017 05:35 PM      Profile for Andrew Thomas   Email Andrew Thomas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The grey IMB issue is almost always caused by somebody leaving the CRU adapter plugged in and on with no drive. Christie knows that and could just say "make sure the adapter is unplugged or off, reboot".

Because that's the problem 99.9% of the time, especially after they got all the cheap CF cards replaced.

Angel Tianpiboonsiri
Film Handler

- posted 01-12-2017 12:53 AM      Profile for Angel Tianpiboonsiri   Email Angel Tianpiboonsiri   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish we were able to just get a tech out when, as one poster put it, "Mission-Critical" hardware goes down or software decides it wants to act funny. We have an off-site Chief Engineer who is literally states away from where he's needed most, the busiest theaters in the chain. I'm glad your fix was simple. I wish all fixes were just as simply solved.

-Angel [Shrug]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: