Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Equipment for adjusting A/V sync (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Equipment for adjusting A/V sync
Mattias Mattsson
Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2017 01:58 AM      Profile for Mattias Mattsson   Email Mattias Mattsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What equipment do you use for adjusting audio/video sync for DCP playback?

I have seen some Dolby techs using the iOS app "Catchin’ Sync" ( http://quietart.co.nz/catchinsync/ ). Anyone have experience with this application?

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-01-2017 07:44 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
those are better than nothing but they are limited to the framerate of the recording. Never tried one myself though. Ideally, the system is sync'ed by the installer at installation time. Delay then does not drift, unless new software brings new bugs [Smile]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-01-2017 09:48 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have definitely seen sync drift within DCPs and from DCP to DCP on the same equipment with no adjustments. Why? I have no idea, except that it does not seem to correlate with any specific combination of equipment. The drift is probably less than one frame in either direction, but is still noticeable.

This was more of an issue with earlier equipment and DCPs (and pre-DCP D-cinema formats), but the problem still exists.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-01-2017 10:05 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well you could use all sorts of gear to check AV sync. As today's Smartphones can do so many things, I'd always prefer an app that can solve a problem practically with the needed accuracy over dedicated high precision gear. Simply because I always have it with me. The good and practical thing about catchin' sync is that you can check sync right on the site and at your/the viewer position, and it gives the proper readings in ms, which we need for corrections in typical installations. I used to take videos in 50p with my camera before, but needed to analyse them later on a PC to get a number.

For what it does, it does seem a bit expensive compared to other basic apps, but the company makes Pro Audio Tools and considers Audio Pros to be their clients, so what...

The free version only supports 25 fps, which is usually okay for the occasional check of your server or CP. The good thing about this app turning visual readings into numbers is, it is quite flexible about the calibration video, so you can easily make your own with e.g. added check for surround channels. It's also not spoiled by 3D formats. The capability to use your own sync videos/sources also means that you can check full capture and processing chains, e.g. from your camera through your video editor and monitoring system up to the final presentation, be it DCP, DVD/Bluray, MP4, some mediaplayer, scaler, etc.

With recent iPhone models, you can easily reach subframe accuracy.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-01-2017 01:30 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Of course sync may drift on different content. It comes from different places and it's made by different people using different equipment. But the sync on YOUR equipment will not drift. If a specific DCP looks out of sync, a sync checker won't help you - unless the mastering facility also provided you with a 'broken' sync chart!

Mattias Mattsson
Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2017 01:35 PM      Profile for Mattias Mattsson   Email Mattias Mattsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[T]he system is sync'ed by the installer at installation time.
To be more precise, I am actually interested in what kind of equipment other installers use for A/V sync at installation time. [Smile]

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-01-2017 02:04 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just remembered this, not overly informative, old thread:

http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f16/t002521.html

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 01-01-2017 06:26 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
most installers probably use the "80ms" tool for all their installations [Frown]

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2017 07:11 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The app you mention is for measuring sync delay.

Most cinema audio processors have settings where you can adjust the delay.
For example, on the CP750, you can do 'global' delay settings for main
and surround audio, as well as customized delay settings for each input.

I work at both of Dolby's private screening rooms here in San Francisco.

As Scott mentioned a few posts back, there are, for whatever reasons,
sometimes DCP's with sync that's a frame or two off. I was a professional
1" videotape editor, so I tend to notice even tiny sync errors, as do
many of the audiences I deal with at Dolby since they're often made up
of film-makers, editors, and other media-tech professionals.

If something looks off-sync at Dolby, they a have a couple of "Syncheck"
units.(Synchceck II and a Syncheck III)

To use them, we play a specific sync-check file on the server, which is
basically just a repeating "pip-flash". You stand in the auditorium
and point the syncheck unit at the screen and it can tell you, using
either a row of LED's (Syncheck II) or a digital readout (Syncheck III)
exactly how many frames or milliseconds your system delay is "off" by.

Of course this does nothing to 'fix' badly synched DCP's, but it does
allow us to verify to a filmmaker that our system is "on spec" and
that the problem is with either the DCP editing or mastering process.

Of course, once I know the amount of delay error, I can dial a correction
into one of the I-pads that control the audio delay system, and make
the sound come out in sync. I've had to do this to "save" a couple of
screenings that would have otherwise been noticably out-of-synch.

Unfortunately, the Syncheck units are no longer made, or I would have
bought one for myself by now. They weren't that expensive, only a
couple of hundred bux, if I recall. Maybe someday I'll find a used
one on e-bay, or perhaps Dolby will want to get rid of one of theirs.

If your curious, you can see the old Syncheck website--> HERE

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 01-01-2017 07:12 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Experienced installers twinkle at the screen and then sync is perfect.

- Carsten

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 01-01-2017 07:52 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't all of this depend upon the size of the auditorium, too? Surely, one would need to adjust sync differently at Radio City than in a small screening room, just as one would thread a 35mm projector slightly differently for each type of venue, for the same reason.

And is it preferable to set the sync delay in the server or in the processor?

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2017 08:01 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On variation of sync delay on size of auditorium, I believe the audio and video should be synced at either the screen or the first row of seats. Farther back in the auditorium, the sound will be behind the image, just like in real life. Adjusting the delay to 0 at some point other than the front of the auditorium allows the sound to arrive before the image in the front row, which can be very disturbing. We are used to sound arriving after image, but not before.

Harold

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2017 06:27 AM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mobile phone apps aren't all that, they are utterly dependant on the hardware, processor load at the measurement time etc.

I use this LINK .

The manufacturer has a lot of knowledge in the subject, this relatively inexpensive instrument is working very well for me.

Sync definitely varies between DCPs, even between scenes in the same DCP. Then there is the sync on satellite broadcasts...... The shotgun approach!

Scott Norwood
Film God

- posted 01-02-2017 10:05 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harold--good point. I have always assumed that the goal was to make the sync correct for the "ideal" seat (2/3 back, slightly off-center), but I also agree with you that having the sound ahead of the picture is really annoying.

I suppose that this is somewhat complicated by the fact that no one really sits in the front 1/4 or 1/3 of the auditorium of most cinemas unless the house is sold out or close to it.

My understanding is that the usual practice with 35mm is for the lab to print the soundtrack 21 frames ahead of the picture, but that the projector is only supposed to be threaded with the sound 20 frames ahead of the picture to provide "proper" sync at the midpoint of the typical cinema.

Is there an SMPTE or other standard somewhere that specifies the seat in a given auditorium where the sound sync is supposed to be correct?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-02-2017 10:16 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the early days of sound sync was the offset between the picture and the corresponding recorded distance on the soundtrack which was set for a theatre of 1800 seats measured 2/3 back and projectionists often made the lower loop larger or smaller depending on the size of the house

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: