Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Tripplite UPS appears completely dead? Change the battery

Author Topic: Tripplite UPS appears completely dead? Change the battery
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-23-2016 05:07 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've used quite a few Tripplite UPS systems in various DCinema installations. We've used from their double conversion zero transfer time series (Smart online) and from their line interactive sine-wave output (SMART and SMX).

Despite having a display that will tell you when a battery is low or needs changing, if a battery pack goes bad, that UPS will appear DEAD! The front panel display will NOT light up at all. The fan will not run and it will appear that an internal fuse must have opened.

Despite all of that, pull the battery pack out and you'll find that its voltage is zero or VERY low. Change the battery pack and likely your UPS will be back to normal!

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-23-2016 11:01 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-23-2016 11:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A power On Line is gonna be dead if the battery pack drops below about 29 volts DC. Charge it up with a bench supply to get things going again.

I recently lost a Tripp Lite UPS and it is unrepairable, but it was not a Power On Line type.

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 12-29-2016 06:42 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, what kind of life are you seeing on the batteries? I have the 1500VA Smart Online which will be 4 years old in a couple of months. The batteries have almost never been utilized since the unit is there for filtration only.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-30-2016 05:07 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
batteries have a finite life anyway and you should discharge them every now and then. I would test the batteries every now and then to make sure they still perform. Batteries also tend to swell after a while - that may make difficult to remove them from the UPS!
If you buy the batteries online on a batteries website, the cost is very affordable. I wouldn't wait till a show stops midway.

Kristo Nalo
Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2016 06:23 AM      Profile for Kristo Nalo   Email Kristo Nalo   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the information Steve.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-30-2016 06:55 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a Triplite Smart Online 1500 running for nearly four years now, so far, no sign of issues. Randomly, I take away mains with a load connected to see how long it can keep. This UPS, however, is only running (Switched On) during evening shows. It is switched off and the mains to it removed for most of the day.

I know quite a few sites where these have been installed as the default UPS with Sony 51x systems, I haven't heard many complaints so far. Other than us, I guess many of these sites run these 24/7.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-30-2016 07:17 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are seeing a typical 3-5 year life with some going closer to 7-years. We are now starting to aggressively change out batteries on units in the 3-5 year span. That said, we also have been putting in our transfer switch, for some time, so if a UPS fails, the show doesn't.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-30-2016 08:43 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that is a very clever idea, Steve. I wonder why such a device is not implemented directly into the UPS itself.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-30-2016 09:49 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you'd think. Both APC and Tripplite have transfer switches but I've heard mixed reviews on the transfer switch being a problem.

We've been trying to minimize source of single-point failure.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-30-2016 12:52 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not that I want to steal the idea but I was wondering whether that is a simple relay-operated device or does it have any electronics in it?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-30-2016 01:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marco.... No, lead acid batteries do not last indefinitely, they are designed for a certain number of charge-discharge cycles. How long they last all depends on how good of a battery you get. 5 years for most of the common type at their rated amp hours... after that the capacity will decline. The majority of the batteries used in all UPS's are pretty cheap stuff. The very best batteries are deep discharge batteries intended for solar power however, I am not sure that a UPS internal charge circuit could handle that type of charge load. UPS's that use external battery packs may well be able to.

Tripplite tek support recommends replacing batteries every three years. I'm pretty sure they like to sell batteries though, however... on my first round of changing out a couple hundred batteries among 50 Power On Lines I found production dates on many of the battery packs that indicated they were two years older than the date in which they were installed.

I recommend you do one of two things. At the Three year mark as Tripp lite suggests pull the battery pack and see if there IS a production date on it. If there is a date that is substantially older than three years as I found then they really should be replaced.

Or just replace them at the three year mark just so you know how old the batteries are. Then I recommend replacing them every four years. I had one Power On Line where the pack was very old and a battery failed and killed the charge circuit rendering the UPS as a door stop. Tripp Lite does not repair any out of warranty units.So you'll be forking out 800 bucks for another new one if that happens.

Also, if you have a lot of them as an installed base as I have then let all your customers know its time to re-battery and then order them in quantity. I did that for a large group of but not all my customers and the Power Sonic batteries only cost 9 bucks each shipped. At that weight they get shipped on a pallet by truck which is also cheaper. I got mine out of the West Coast.

Also, keep the stupid metal screen vacuumed off that's behind the front panel on these things.

Finally, I have a single transfer switch at each complex that is not installed. It's literally a 5 minute plug and play deal to unplug the UPS and attached devices and plug everything into the transfer switch. I doubt you'd even miss a show.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-30-2016 02:14 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
that's what I meant with "finite life"?

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-30-2016 03:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marco, you can use a simple relay BUT be sure that it has the proper current ratings.

We incorporate it into a catch-all box that allows us to control the power to the projector and server (and could also control the rest of the booth, if need be) as well as monitor if there is a power failure (if there is, we have the automation pause the show).

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: