Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby releases new software 2.8.11 for DCP2000/2K4 and ShowVault servers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Dolby releases new software 2.8.11 for DCP2000/2K4 and ShowVault servers
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-21-2016 07:46 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I thought this would never happen, there is a successor to 2.6.4. I don't see any exciting new features, though (sigh...)
The WebUI now is official now. Quite a few fixes, although I am not sure wether these are actually referenced against 2.6.4, as Dolby started a new release document.

http://support.doremitechno.org/index.php/downloads/software-firmware

http://support.doremitechno.org/images/Portal/Cinema_Players/Release_Notes/Dolby_DCP_ShowVault_SW_Release_Notes_00 5282_Issue_2.pdf

|  IP: Logged

Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-21-2016 10:28 PM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very Big Thanks To Carsten Kurz for the info .
Doremis Very Good version released
By ShibuPaul

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-22-2016 04:36 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it was about time! Who's testing them first? [Wink]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-22-2016 06:45 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out the audio mapping feature on a Showvault is broken on this version when playing IOP files (only the first 8 channels are recognized). That seems like a potentially pretty big issue for those that have 7.1 systems.

Note, the software is also available on the US site.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-22-2016 11:11 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the gotcha alert, Steve. In the smaller house at the Egyptian, we use a DSS200/cat862 as our primary server, and have a DCP2000 in the rack as a standby server, kept ready for immediate use if the Dolby goes wrong. We have the power amps, wiring and speakers in place for 7.1, and the audio processor is now an AP20, so it's been on our list to do to reconfigure the AP20 to power amp wiring and the output assignments to enable actual 7.1.

But if the DCP2000 with this software update won't be able to give us channels 11 and 12 on an Interop DCP, this would mean that only the DSS200 would be 7.1 capable. I think we'll stick with our existing software.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-22-2016 11:44 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo...only if you do the channel mapping in the DCP2000. If you leave the channel mapping alone, then it will output all 16 in their proper spots. Since the DSS200 doesn't channel map, it would seem that you should be good since both should have the same output.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-22-2016 08:12 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry - misread you. So with the new software, it will still output all 16 channels; you just don't have the ability to send, say, channel 9 on the DCP to channel 7 going out through the DB25 AES cable.

The pinouts from the Doremi's media block are significantly different to those on the cat862, so much so that I had to set up separate profiles in the AP20 in order to enable a straight swap of the audio cable, should we ever need to do that in an emergency situation.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-23-2016 06:45 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby says that 2.6.4 had problems with channel mapping, no details given, and that it is all fixed and shiny in 2.8.11 - what have you found?
We do use server mapping but only rarely, prefer physical mapping (Odyssey 7.1 card).
The problem I saw with 2.6 was that SMPTE CPL channel metadata would override the server mapping, making it pointless.

Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2016 08:08 AM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The New Version CPL Skip Option working very nice and smooth, no hanging issue.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-23-2016 03:20 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
The problem I saw with 2.6 was that SMPTE CPL channel metadata would override the server mapping, making it pointless.
But isn't that the intended behaviour?

- Carsten

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 12-23-2016 09:00 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Intended behavior with unintended consequences. I'm sure that there are lots of theaters out there with audio processors that can only handle 8 AES input channels. Therefore, given that, per DCI, 7 and 8 are the commentary tracks, if you want to get either Todd-AO/SDDS (left front extra and right front extra, DCI channels 9 and 10) or modern stereo rear surround 7.1 (channels 11 and 12) into a processor that can only handle 8 input channels in total, you've got to map 7 and 8 in such that they can receive either 9 and 10 or 11 and 12 coming out of the server or IMB.

You can either do that with a hardware converter (e.g. Odyssey), or software mapping in the server or IMB. If you do the latter and SMPTE metadata overrides the channel mapping you've set up to take account of the way your audio processor is configured, then you've got problems.

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-24-2016 06:16 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would say that the intersection of 5-screen channel theatres and those that have only 8-channels worth of inputs in their audio processor are very small, if not zero.

Now the HI/VI versus the 7.1 audio channels, that is where things will go wrong. With the industry going to RJ45 connectors and CAT cable, it makes things difficult to rewire the system without a hardware solution (e.g. Odyssey). Mind you, I think needing a PCB to make a simple wiring change is an unnce expense.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-24-2016 08:13 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
Intended behavior with unintended consequences.
I was referring to SMPTE metadata overriding static channel assignment. That is one of the intended features of SMPTE dynamic channel mapping. Although one would say that while SMPTE DCP is not fully stablished, it would be wise to allow this feature to be disabled until it is working reliably with all SMPTE DCPs.

The 8ch routing problem is a different issue and would qualify as a bug in my opinion. With all the time it took Dolby to produce an updated software for the Doremis, and also with the wild mixture of serious bugs in DSS 4.8.xx, I'm wondering what goes on in their software department.

They are basically sabotaging 'their own' 7.1 Format when used with 'their own' processors.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag

- posted 12-24-2016 10:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
4.8.9.12 has been a very stable version for me.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-24-2016 10:34 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought 4.8.x was cursed with the DISCONNECTED, media block disconnections and "timecode not moving" bugs? There's a whole thread elsewhere. It's stable when it works.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: