Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Alt Power Supply on a Barco Series 1

Author Topic: Alt Power Supply on a Barco Series 1
Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-30-2016 05:01 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An acquaintance is selling a Barco Ser 1 projector w/o power supply. I have seen similar projectors with either a high-reactance PS (Irem) or a switcher (Strong) wired in and running. I cannot, however, seem to find out how they overcame the issue of communication between the analog PS and the digital projector (since these weren't made to communicate but, rather, just to pump out the wattage). Is there a switch to block or override? Something to uncheck in the program? Thanks for any tips. [Eek!]

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-30-2016 05:46 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess there is as Series 1 Kinoton don't really know much about the ballast if not mistaken. But a Barco as-is will look for their ballasts, I am not sure that you can easily disable that communication. I believe when the system is configured to be a Kinoton, then it stops looking for them.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-01-2016 03:42 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Series 1 - what model? Is there a series 0? I've seen a few DP50/100 projectors but don't know if they have different electronics from a DP1500/2000/3000.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 12-01-2016 06:39 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Kinoton S1 as having only relay-start for the lamp power supply, no communication. So any lamp ballast can be used.

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-01-2016 10:53 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, somehow one has to fool the projector computer into thinking there IS an active power supply. I have saved a pile of Wrong switchers just for this purpose but never had the time to get into it.

Mark

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-2016 02:17 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marco, Carsten, I believe the Kinotons are Barcos and so are Cinemeccanicas...other than maybe some proprietary modifications (like the lamphouse on the Cinemeccanica version, e.g.). It's Cinemeccanica series 1 that I and a fellow op have seen with an old Irem rectifier as well as one with a Strong switcher. This could certainly be a savings for an operator facing a repair/replacement of the original PS if one could use an old rectifier in storage.

Dave, the DP50 was a 1.3k res projector, right? It's not useable for cinema today so I don't believe it counts. The DP90 and DP100 would be considered Series 0 and the DP1500-2000-3000 etc would be considered Series 1 [uhoh]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 12-01-2016 02:34 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Series 1 is a very broad brush. If you are referring to the DP100 (used an IREM power supply at first and later units used a Barco designed one)...you are going to have communication issues. Even the boards in the ELCA box had to be right for the power supply used. There is an RS232 connection to the LPS. So it isn't as simple as a contact closure.

The DP1200-DP2000 use an entirely different supply and require a suitable controller (same supply as used on all of the current xenon based S2 projector though they now have them as individual 2.4KW units that are paralleled as needed to achieve the necessary wattage of the projector.

The DP3000 shares a great many things with the DP100 so there may be solutions there (never had my hands on a DP3000).

So, depending on what it is you are receiving is how you may have to react to getting it going. Odds are though, you won't be able to easily kludge something in without the projector yelling at you. Now, the igniters are all DC so if you get voltage to them, it will likely strike the lamp when it sees the No Load voltage go high.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-01-2016 05:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You would need some sort of serial based signal unit that replicates what the rectifier is telling the projector. I just don't see it working any other way.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-01-2016 05:37 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carsten Kurz
I remember Kinoton S1 as having only relay-start for the lamp power supply, no communication. So any lamp ballast can be used.
A Barco decides what to look for depending on its identity. A 1200 does not have coolant - so no pump and some extra fans are expected. The backplane with all the connections is common between all the models, then the software configures itself depending on what model that is.

Hence, a Kinoton will probably have something in the software that tells the software not to look for a ballast communication device. Nothing that can be switched off via the regular software unfortunately.

Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2016 07:54 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I think I get the gist of what you are saying, Steve, adding to what Carsten and Marco described about Kinotons, it sounds like these Cinemeccanicas were designed/programmed not to communicate as they were built with a high reactance Irem or a Strong Switcher...but those that started out with an actual Barco-made power supply probably were programmed or set up to demand communication from the rectifier? Hence you cannot easily replace a Barco supply with a non-communicating rectifier. OK...so my question is: has anyone actually successfully done this, no matter how difficult...that is, replaced a Barco digital supply with an older analog rectifier? Thanks! [eyes]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: