Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie Solaria 1 Green DMD Overheating

Author Topic: Christie Solaria 1 Green DMD Overheating
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-25-2016 12:59 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A customer has a couple Solaria's and one started throwing a Green DMD overheating error last week. They swapped in another spare Solaria and are up and running but he wants the bad one repaired. All else seems normal and the red and blue dmd's temperature are fine, the fans are fine... no other errors. Have any of you ever seen a Solaria do this? Possible bad sensor or other board issue? The boards that can be have been re-seated. One tech I talked to thinks it might be the sensor on the green DMD and this would necessitate sending the light engine back to Christie for repair...

Thanks!

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Leslie Hartmier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-28-2016 07:34 PM      Profile for Leslie Hartmier   Email Leslie Hartmier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the location of the green DMD, it is unlikely that it, rather than the red DMD (the red DMD is "wisely" crammed on the 'bottom' of the light engine, so it's not as open to the air flow) would suffer as much from a heat issue, so I would think it either a fan issue or a sensor issue.

If the exhaust was being retarded (dirty exhaust panel filters?), it might be that the heat build up in the area triggered the sensor.

If you had the log file, someone could use the Interrogator software to examine it (including Christie themselves, of course.) The logs are sometimes kinda vague (like, when you don't know why you're getting an ICP Startup Failure, and it can be tracked to LVPS, ICP, internal ethernet switch or the PIB), but sometimes, they are very precise, and will let you exclude everything else.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-29-2016 02:18 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the suggestions Leslie. I won't be seeing this unit till tomorrow. But I do know it's not a fan or dirty filters.

Mark

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-29-2016 04:14 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had a faulty sensor on one before now.

Not sure on a Christie if you could swap it with another channel to test it. I don't really see a lot of Solaria One.

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2016 03:20 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leslie Hartmier
If you had the log file, someone could use the Interrogator software to examine it (including Christie themselves, of course.)
I kind of lost it there.
Is there some kind of Interrogator files examiner software available outside Christie, similar to the diagnostics package reader of Barco?
I am asking because if it is, I 've been waisting too many hours using notepad++ and the similar.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-10-2016 09:31 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes there is Christie log reader software. Unfortunately I dont know how to make it work. I can download it or get it from a tech who uses it, but on startup it just says " unauthorized" and shuts down.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-10-2016 12:15 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mine works and does not require any authorisation. If I recall correctly you need the latest version under Windows 10.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2016 12:40 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Version 3.0 which is the latest on the Christie website runs under XP. You do need netframe 2.0 installed. It is easy to use drag the interrogator file to it or use the open function in the file menu. You can filter by error and/or warnings and such so you can not have to look through all the normal stuff to find the problem.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 12-10-2016 02:42 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope.

This is what I get when I try to open the Christie Interrogator Viewer (v3, but the older one is the same):

-

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2016 03:04 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there multiple logins on that computer? It looks like it was installed by another users and the right to it are only for that user and not all users. If your user name is an administrator you can change those right or install a second time with you login.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-10-2016 03:44 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you are right, same here. I run the troubleshooter and it fixed for me - setting it to Windows 8 compatibility mode.

Leslie Hartmier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 12-10-2016 05:10 PM      Profile for Leslie Hartmier   Email Leslie Hartmier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Interrogator software is a massive pain in the patootie to run.

It must ALWAYS be installed and run using 'Run As Administrator', whether you are in an administrator account or not.

Otherwise, it gives the 'unauthorized' error and the 'This Application...' dialog boxes.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 12-10-2016 05:23 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right! Just select "run as administrator" in the compatibility tab!

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-26-2017 12:46 PM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thank you Dave for your answer. Actually, every post here was useful.
I did contact Christie about the Interrogator Viewer but, after a while, I 've been kindly refused a link to it. :-/
That means a lot more time spent over notepad++, but that goes with the territory.

On the bright side, I don't need to have the projector's output decrypted...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: