Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Playback Content Processing Error

Author Topic: Playback Content Processing Error
Bradley J Sime
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2016 10:24 AM      Profile for Bradley J Sime   Author's Homepage   Email Bradley J Sime       Edit/Delete Post 
During my testing of The Handmaiden (new Korean movie) after the distributor credits at the beginning of the film, there was high pitched "popping" sound, at which point I received a "playback content processing error" message. The sound cut out entirely at this point, and would return sporadically at various points in the picture. Tested it out again and again, with the same results. Nothing like this with any of our other content. Is it a problem with the DCP? The "playback content" as it were?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-25-2016 10:49 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does the problem go away or remain when you play other dcp's?

That will answer your question.

Bradley J Sime
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2016 10:55 AM      Profile for Bradley J Sime   Author's Homepage   Email Bradley J Sime       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it does.

Bradley J Sime
Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2016 01:57 PM      Profile for Bradley J Sime   Author's Homepage   Email Bradley J Sime       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an update. I deleted the DCP, ingested it again, and now it works fine. I'm still a little suspect about this thing, so I have a backup DCP on the way. Does this sound like the right thing to do? Any ideas as to why the first ingest resulted in the above problem?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-25-2016 03:31 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the world of the DCinema and the computer world.

Sometimes, the first ingest is fine where all the packets were ingested fine, but you'll get this little bug where the packets were ingested fine, but processing the packets might get a glitch.

Thus, you did fine by re-ingesting the content. I've seen ingested content go corrupt where one has to do a re-ingest.

It's like having to reinstalling Windows sometimes, for it gets buggy where a full reinstall gets all the blocks in order.

Film never had these problems. Either it ran fine or it didn't.

-Monte

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-25-2016 03:48 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would help that these threads state which equipment was used.

It looks like an error on ingest to the server and most probably the assets weren't copied correctly/entirely. It surprises me that some servers still cannot verify the validity of all assets of a picture after it has 'ingested'.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-25-2016 04:09 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What server was that? Content is hash-checked when ingested, in theory a 'bad copy' should not be possible.

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2016 11:14 AM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's what i wonder also.

Otoh it might be RAID or HDD failure, and the physical relocation of files helped now, but the problem will occur on some other DCP that will be ingested now.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2016 07:41 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had two Handmaiden screenings the week of Nov 13th.
I seem to recall that "the other guy" working that week who did the ingest
and first screening had some trouble also solved by a delete & re-ingest.

I'm out of town till December 3rd, so I can't go pull the logs to check.

The equipment was an NEC 2000C, and Dolby DSS 200. I don't recall the
software versions involved.

I don't remember having any trouble during my screening on the 15th.
But I DO remember that:
1) It was a pretty long movie. The last one of a long day of press
& preview screenings. (which also included "SING"- - which comes out
just B4 Christmas and was a lot of fun!)

2) It had a lot of credits. 99.9% of them in Korean. I just wanted to shut
everything down & go home, but 3 or 4 people sat through the entire
credit scroll, and, I could be dead wrong on this, but I knew who they were
and I'm pretty darn sure none of them can read Korean any better than I can.
(which I can't) So I couldn't figure out why they were hanging around, unless
they were waiting to see if there was a "bonus scene" at the end.
. . . . Or just doing it to annoy me.... [Razz]

Bradley J Sime
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2016 07:53 PM      Profile for Bradley J Sime   Author's Homepage   Email Bradley J Sime       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, thanks for all the input. Sorry, btw, for not stating the equipment. Obviously that`s useful Christie 2210 proj with a Christie IMB.
Yeah, I used the backup I received just in case. Everything`s cool.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-26-2016 09:57 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is why when studios do a tech check for a high profile screening, the studio's technical representative and the Dolby tuning tech will sit and watch the entire movie in real time, from the opening logo to the end of the credit crawl. It's the only way you can be even close to 99.99% sure that the playback which matters will be glitch-free.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-26-2016 10:03 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Humph.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: