Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » HDMI to Barco via Blu-Ray Player or Macbook

Author Topic: HDMI to Barco via Blu-Ray Player or Macbook
Kyleen Kochevar
Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2016 08:07 PM      Profile for Kyleen Kochevar   Email Kyleen Kochevar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

I feel like I've tried everything. I'm trying to connect our Barco DP4K-32B to either a blu-ray player or my Macbook via HDMI. When connected to the Blu-Ray player with a disk in it, I have sound, but no picture. When connected to my Macbook's HDMI port, I get nothing (I've tried detecting the display but my Macbook simply will not detect the Barco as a display.) How have some of you been able to play external content that didn't come from a hard drive using a DVD player or laptop? Can someone give me a how-to on this for a beginner digital projectionist? Boy do I miss film sometimes.. haha

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-23-2016 12:49 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What brand/model of IMB do you have in the projector? Doremi? GDC? Dolby?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-23-2016 05:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are connecting to the projector's DVI ports, than remember, it "WANTS" 1080p materials. The colorspace should be RGB as well. The projector, while it can handle interlaced, is not the desired goal. Unlike consumer equipment, a DCinema projector will not keep up with the changes in Blu-ray. That is, it will not automatically switch colorspaces nor will it deal with interlaced automatically.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-25-2016 08:03 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know you need to have presets configured for HDMI/DVI input? Are you able to view/set them up on your own, or do you depend on an installer for this?

- Carsten

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-25-2016 10:13 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had issues with the Doremi IMB and HDMI: it does not support too many display resolutions. It should be fine with 1080p, will not display 1024x768 but may pass sound with that.
If it is a Doremi, connect a monitor and make sure it's 1080p output. HDCP should not be a problem with the IMB.
No idea why a mac would have trouble... because of the uncountable mystery rules that apple enforces on all their stuff, I won't have anything to do with them. Is it native HDMI or do you use an adapter (like lightning or DP to HDMI)? I have had lots of problems with using adapters other than HDMI-DVI... which is a super simple adapter, it just changes connectors and loses the digital audio signal.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-25-2016 06:16 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have GDC SX3000 IMB units in our Barcos and we have to create a program for the GDC to turn on the HDMI port and accept the feed.

Barco has a user programmed preset tab filled with macros to tell the content going into the HDMI port to playback content in the right color space. Otherwise, the colors are off and the image is more larger than the DCP presentations.

Sorry, it's not Plug and Play as with those table top units.

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2016 02:41 PM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a MacBook Air and routinely use it with a NEC 3240S/Doremi IMB setup through a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, and also connect directly to various NEC 2K Series 1 and Series 2 projectors through a MiniDP to DVI adapter. Since our first D-Cinema install in 2007, we have always used Mac laptops and iMacs for our presentation needs.

They work flawlessly every time. You don't even have to set the correct output resolution because MacOS always gets TI's or Doremi's EDID right and even upscales and downscales if you want, which I don't think even Windows 10 does. When it's set to mirroring, it doesn't matter if you have an iMac (2560x1440) or a MB Air (1440x900): your output resolution will always be 2048x1080.

I'll go out on a limb and say that if you're using a Mac, your issue is definitely on the projector/IMB side. Probably you don't have the right macro/preset for external devices.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-26-2016 04:16 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We still don't know what the projector's HDMI input is on. All that's certain is that it isn't the actual projector.
If it's a Dolby (Doremi)/NEC IMS then the software version is very important, early releases were ... not so good for HDMI.
For Barco ICMP, same thing goes. The current software is pretty good with HDMI and DisplayPort (I still haven't managed to get audio over DP though) but early versions didn't support it all all. Note that the ICMP disables the DVI inputs on a B or C projector.
So: what is it?

Bradley J Sime
Film Handler

- posted 11-26-2016 08:02 PM      Profile for Bradley J Sime   Author's Homepage   Email Bradley J Sime       Edit/Delete Post 
Does your projector know it`s supposed to be receiving HDMI? Our projector is a Christie, but you have to change the input settings on it so it knows what's coming down the pipe (pike?)

Ben Schulz
Film Handler

- posted 02-05-2017 11:49 PM      Profile for Ben Schulz   Email Ben Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Kramer and Gefen cinema Scalers and they work beautifully. They handle all the annoying color space issues that pop up and also especially with the Kramer gear wide range of frame rates and resolutions work fine. They also give easy Audio out options that can go into the sound processor. Gefen wins in the audio field in my opinion just because it can do 5.1, but the Kramer gear is some of the best gear I have ever used.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: