Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » New Closed Captioning and Audio Description Rules (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: New Closed Captioning and Audio Description Rules
Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2016 11:34 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to Esther Baruh at NATO for letting me know. New rules at : https://www.ada.gov/regs2016/movie_captioning_rule_page.html

Harold

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-22-2016 02:34 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Canada so this doesn't apply to me, but this stuff does have a habit of sneaking across the border so I won't be surprised to see similar regulations here before too long.

I was curious as to whether the regulations are intended to apply only to chains and such or if it also applies to mom-and-pop operations.

From Questions and Answers

quote:

2) Are all movie theaters required to comply with the specific requirements of this rule?

No. This rule applies only to certain movie theaters as defined by the rule. The rule defines a movie theater as a “facility, other than a drive-in theater, that is owned, leased by, leased to, or operated by a public accommodation and that contains one or more auditoriums that are used primarily for the purpose of showing movies to the public for a fee.” The specific requirements of this rule, however, do not apply to any movie theater that shows only analog movies in all of its auditoriums. Additionally, drive-in theaters are excluded in the definition of movie theater because the technology to provide closed movie captioning and audio description in such venues does not yet exist.

I still don't know. What does "owned or leased by a public accommodation" even mean? How can a public accommodation own or lease anything?

I get the impression that any theatre covered by these regulations (all theatres in the US?) must have the equipment ready to go upon demand so it looks like there's going to be a short-term boom in sales of these gadgets.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-22-2016 04:03 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, my impression is it applies to ALL digitally equipped movie theatres - and digitally equipped auditoriums.

One of the immediate impacts is the need to advertise the availability in newspapers, web sites and apps, all ticketing locations, and phone recordings. Sounds like we need to ensure third party ticketing sites are providing this information, in addition to our own web sites.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-22-2016 04:44 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know... it says that theatres are required to "notify the public" but I don't see where it say how that must be done. Perhaps you could just put up a sign in the lobby and be compliant?

Of course, "notice" is a tiny consideration compared to the cost of obtaining, installing and maintaining the equipment. How much does that stuff actually get used, anyway? I have two wheelchair parking spots in my auditorium and one of them might get used maybe two or three times a year, both of them at the same time maybe once in five years. Assuming that this gadget needs to be charged, what are the chances that it will actually work after sitting on the charger for the past 36 months without being moved.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-22-2016 05:07 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

Are Canadian laws different regarding this, or do you use the same ADA laws on this stuff up there?

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-22-2016 05:32 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The laws are different here, but it seems that after stuff like that is passed in the US it tends to leak across the border, as I said earlier. Some Canadian politician thinks, "Hey, there's a good idea" and the next thing you know a similar regulation is being put into place here.

Most of the disabled access stuff like wheelchair parking and ramps and the like is part of the building regulations, as far as I know.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-22-2016 08:42 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
I get the impression that any theatre covered by these regulations (all theatres in the US?) must have the equipment ready to go upon demand so it looks like there's going to be a short-term boom in sales of these gadgets.
Well a lot of places already have them -- we got a used system many years ago which crapped out a couple of years ago. It was probably requested about four or five times, max, in the 20 or so years we had it. I knew the gov't was working on new "regs" so I've held out in replacing it. So I'm in the market, but certainly not everyone is.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-23-2016 05:27 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank, I get the impression your community's population is not representative of the population at large.

This is my general experience with ADA issues.
1. Our handicap parking spaces are usually different frequently for. For any given show,even slow weekdays, at least 2-3 of our handicap parking spots are used.

2.Assisted listening devices we have 10 headsets, 4 of which we keep ready to use. We probably check out 5-10 times per week for amplified sound. We have had 4 units out at one time just once or twice, but we have had 3 out at once.

3. We have 3 closed captioning boxes, and we usually get 2-3 checkouts per week. Generally our CC users are the same 4-5 people. We have had We have had 2 checked out at once, but this was 2 ladies who frequently come together and both use CC. I don't believe we have ever had more than 2 out at a time.

4.The visually impaired narration normally only gets used 1-2 times per week, and most of the time it's for the same woman. Over the years we have only had maybe 2-3 other people use the system.

5. Each of our auditoriums has 4 designated wheelchair spots with corresponding companion seats. We probably average 10 wheelchairs per week. Although not common, we have had to move people to free up the handicap seating.

As far as the equipment goes, we have the USL system. The headsets handle ALD and narration, and the CC boxes use the same transmitter. When checking out the headsets, our cashier's actually turn then on to ensure they are functioning, as well as explaining how they are used. All employees are trained for this, and I would assume my staff does it right 90-95% of the time.

When the units are returned, we actually remove the batteries and test them to see if they need to be changed. When the devices are put away, they are ready for the next checkout.

Since our system was installed we have logged every checkout, and the data generated was sent to the Justice Department to use in determining the number of units required for each theatre. The initial proposal was enough units for 5-10% of seats, which would have been about 50-100 for my theatre. Our data proved these numbers were roughly 10 times more than what was actually needed.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-23-2016 06:55 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As one who is not familiar with the current state of closed-captioned and audio-described movies: how many movies actually have the tracks for this encoded on the DCP? Do all major releases have it now? Or is it rare? Or somewhere in between?

Does every auditorium in a multiplex need these systems, or is it sufficient to have enough equipped auditoria to support movies that have the data encoded? (Obviously, this is a moot point for a mainstream cinema if every major release has the tracks.)

Chris Daigle
Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2016 10:13 AM      Profile for Chris Daigle   Email Chris Daigle   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand that with the USL unit you can use either the cup holder display or the glasses for viewing the closed captions.. any feedback from someone currently using the system on which is the better option from a durability standpoint? Is the cup holder unit annoying to those sitting close by?

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-23-2016 10:40 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know why we didn't get more usage on our old system than we did... we do get quite a few senior citizens to the movies. I have always assumed it's because we have pretty good sound, or the ones who can't hear well just don't come. But we've never really promoted the hearing-impaired feature either. I'll probably promote it more when we get a new / better system than the one we had.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2016 11:05 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done a quick read of the new rules. I have to do a more detailed read. As I recall, you will need to include the availability of HI, VI, and CC in schedules and ads. There are standard symbols for each (VI is called AD for Audio Description).

On the USL glasses and cup holder receiver, I believe the cup holder is more durable but have not seen many returns on the glasses. Returns on the cup holder receivers are mostly due to people trying to recharge non-rechargeable batteries. The batteries can leak all over the inside of the unit pretty much destroying it. The CCR-100 includes an internal charger for NiCd and NiMH batteries, but the system ships with alkaline batteries. A "charger kit" is available as an option. That includes the rechargeable batteries, a USB power supply, and USB cable. A while back, we started putting a "do not charge" label over the USB connector on the CCR-100 to discourage people from buying their own USB power supply and charging the alkalines.

The CCR-100 is more sensitive than the CCH-100 (glasses). I'm trying to improve the sensitivity of the CCH-100.

I like the idea of logging actual usage of the system. In addition, on a movie change, it'd be nice to walk the auditoriums and make sure everything is working before your customers find out differently.

Harold

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 11-23-2016 12:56 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't the advertising requirement kind of pointless if everyone is required to have the systems installed? Or is the idea to advertise which titles, specifically, have the tracks available for use?

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-23-2016 01:02 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes - out of closed captions, HI audio descriptions, and/or VI audio descriptions, some DCPs have some of these tracks, some all and some none. So anyone needing this facility will need to know if the movie they are going to see has the supplementary track on it. So there are essentially two parts to the regulation: 1 - you have to have the equipment up and running for your patrons to use these tracks if they want to, and 2 - you have to tell them which movies have the tracks and which ones don't.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-23-2016 01:03 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It appears to be a notice as to which movies have which feature (HI, VI, CC). It SEEMS that HI would be required whether the movie has an HI track or not (using an LCR mix), but I can't say for sure. The notice requirement is worded as below:

Notice. On or after [INSERT DATE 45 DAYS AFTER DATE OF PUBLICATION IN THE FEDERAL REGISTER], whenever a public accommodation provides captioning and audio description in a movie theater auditorium exhibiting digital movies, it shall ensure that all notices of movie showings and times at the box office and other ticketing locations, on Web sites and mobile apps, in newspapers, and over the telephone, inform potential patrons of the movies or showings that are available with captioning and audio description. This paragraph does not impose any obligation on third parties that provide information about movie theater showings and times, so long as the third party is not part of or subject to the control of the public accommodation.

Harold

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: