Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Samsung buys out Harmon Industries (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Samsung buys out Harmon Industries
Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 11-15-2016 03:59 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harmon the parent company of JBL,Crown and other pro audio brands is being bought out by Korean Samsung for $ 8 billion dollars. The purchase premium was well above their stock price. Harmon auto products division is highly profitable and this is what Samsung is making the purchase for.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-16-2016 10:09 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good! We might actually see some improvement in JBL and Crown for a change.

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-16-2016 11:29 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope this doesn't mean that Harmon products are about to start blowing up and bursting into flames, too.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-16-2016 11:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! Leo, come on....they have always been doing that.

Leslie Hartmier
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2016 03:57 PM      Profile for Leslie Hartmier   Email Leslie Hartmier   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not that I necessarily contest your statements, but I've never had a Samsung I didn't like.

Maybe it's just US devices.

Then again, it's not like 'someone you know' hasn't held forth on the wonder of Crown amplifiers, so it might be a good fit.

What did you say about them, again, Gordon? "Only improved by immersion into a dumpster!" seems to be what I recall being said...

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-16-2016 04:21 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
failure mode is usually flames and they didn't earn there nameing as DC75 dc150 or dc300 as that was often the dc on the speaker terminals [Smile]

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 11-16-2016 05:11 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! Yes, I've seen several speakers completely burnt by failed Crown amps!

(I believe it's 'Harman' BTW!)

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-16-2016 05:45 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, do something with those $6k Crown DriveCore amps!

Martin Brooks
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-16-2016 09:59 PM      Profile for Martin Brooks   Author's Homepage   Email Martin Brooks   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Good! We might actually see some improvement in JBL and Crown for a change.

Really? You think Samsung, of all companies, is going to improve JBL and Crown? I don't think so. Besides, they claim they're gong to let Harman run independently. Of course we know that's not true, but usually it's the backroom operations of HR and Finance that get merged first. And it's still got to get through government approvals. I can't see Trump liking this deal - it will make him look bad letting a Korean company buy this American company, even if most of the products are already made in China.

All I know is that I've still got a Crown D75 power amp in my apartment that's been working perfectly since 1978. I realize that's anecdotal, but still.....

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-17-2016 08:51 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
they didn't earn there nameing as DC75 dc150 or dc300 as that was often the dc on the speaker terminals [Smile]
When I first moved here to Utah I worked for a dealer that sold lots of Com Tech 400 and up power amps. Now we have hundreds of them around here and not a one has ever thrown DC across a speaker but when they fail the ODEP light for the failed channel always comes on and the issue is always a shorted output device or two. Over the years I've only had one of those amps actually have more than just a blown output device and that one had a nice chain reaction. So as far as Crown goes those CT series have been pretty reliable but no where near as reliable as QSC has been. The later crown XLS series has pretty much been a disaster for those that have bought them and they have the most bizarre circuit design.

Mark

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 11-17-2016 09:16 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a lot of original DC300 amps that just kept going without many issues, the PS caps go bad after a decade or three as should be expected.
And a 24 screen install with CE1000/2000 amps where many of them immediately failed spectacularly - smoke, sparks, and some flames. Crown sent a tech to modify all (around 150) of them, they have worked reasonably OK for the 20 years since then but are now having problems (as are pretty much any brand of 20 year old amp).

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-17-2016 10:11 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to service a bit of Crown amps and got to see where they would cut corners on designs. Even the D series, particularly the series II stuff always seemed to be failure prone. Furthermore, I got to see enough common failures that I had my own "upgrades". The same with the PS series as well as the Micro and Macro Tech stuff. That said, some of the Macro-Tech series were pretty good but if they fail, they can essentially make the amp not worth repairing. I've had it where when the output devices die, they cascade down and burn up the motherboard too!

I'm definitely off of Crown amps and am quite happy with QSC, at this point. Lab Gruppnn has a very sterling reputation but I think the bang for the buck in cinema can't justify them.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-17-2016 11:33 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On top of all these problems some of the semiconductors in the Com tech and Micro Tech series have gone obsolete. Electronics parts distributors have what ever is left of the production of those devices in stock. You may be able to get em from Crown if your distributor doesn't have them. I think replacing them with QSC is a far better idea because you will also get a huge upgrade in the quality of sound reproduced.

I have many Series 1 QSC that are going on 30 years old that still function perfectly. When they go bad I often rebuild them, although it's almost at a point where rebuilding them is getting to be too expensive since the rebuild kits disappeared. But just recapping them is all it normally takes. and thats not terribly expsnsive.

Mark

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 11-18-2016 09:28 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You want reliability? We've had 3 Norelco dual push-pull 70w TUBE amps, rack mounted, that were installed in one of our studios back in 1978; they were NEVER powered off until the building was torn down in 2013.

You talk about we are all 6° of separation way from someone whose been flamed by a Crown -- happened to me while I was mixing Jay and the Americans live concert. Let me tell you, all you need is to have a Crown amp belch smoke and shoot sparks and flames at you once and ever since then, I have never turned on a Crown amp without just bit of trepidation and stress. And always with my fingers crossed.

Thing is, in college we had an entire recording facility in the basement of their conference center that had nothing but Crown amps and a bank of Crown tape decks, I mean like 30 of them -- two for each conference room so they could record sessions. They were spectacularly reliable. There was never a thought that any thing would fail on you. But then again, I was young and naive and thought all electronic equipment was my friend. The university bought everything Crown because back then, Crown was located in Elkart IN, just a few miles away. I guess they wanted to support local businesses and you can't beat repairs being just a 30 min drive.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-18-2016 05:36 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crown 800 Tape decks is of another story - things are bulletproof.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: