Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » GDC SX2000 wont turn on when connected to IMB.

Author Topic: GDC SX2000 wont turn on when connected to IMB.
Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2016 05:53 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a GDC SX2000A with IMB and an NC2000C projector both installed in early 2012.

The server will not turn on if the PCIe cable is hooked up to the IMB. If you remove the cable from the IMB the server will start up, but no content can be run.

The server will not even get to the BIOS or startup screens when the PCIe cable is plugged in. The power light will stay lit, and the hard drive light will come on for about 1 second then go out.

Any help would be appreciated. I am awaiting a call back from our tech but tonight's show is already cancelled.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 11-04-2016 06:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had to reseat the boards and RAM inside the server as well as reseat the IMB several times when they do funny things

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 11-04-2016 06:28 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not familiar with this hardware, but would suspect an IMB fault. If the problem is in the server, then that problem should be there whether it's hooked to the IMB or not. If it only fails to initialize when a given PCIe device is connected to one of the slots, that suggests that the device is not answering queries from the BIOS on startup, and/or doing something that prevents the BIOS from getting past the initializing and starting to load the operating system.

Agreed with Gordon that reseating the IMB is the obvious first step, as long as this won't break the marriage (assuming that you don't have the necessary passwords to re-marry the IMB to the projector). I wonder if a flat IMB battery and lost certificate could be the problem, too.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-04-2016 07:11 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Done that a few times with re-seating IMB cards to clear up crazy no-start issues.

I use a PSD-300 storage drive with SATA cabling heading to the IMB, and I've had to re-seat the cable also.

Good luck - Monte

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2016 07:57 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our tech is going to come out tomorrow, GDC seems to think the IMB is bad so they are going to try to overnight one out preemptively. Will also check the things mentioned here in the morning.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: