Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Doremi DCP2000 Flash Drive permissions

Author Topic: Doremi DCP2000 Flash Drive permissions
Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-29-2016 11:11 AM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wondered if anyone had come across this before?

We have 9 DCP2000 servers across our sites, but one of them has different drive permissions to the other ones.

This was discovered when we were disabling the screensaver setting, for which you need to modify a file on the operating system flash drive.

We noticed that one server doesn’t appear to be read-only but all the others are. My understanding is that the root filesystem on a Doremi should always be mounted read-only? We were able to modify the file that contains the screensaver configuration without needing to remount in rw or use the rwdo command. A reboot does not set it back to read only on this one server, where as the others do.

Has anyone else come across this; is it likely to make it less secure or the server to overwrite some files it shouldn't have?

I guess we could use terminal command line to set the drive to read only, but them I am concerned if the server does need to modify any files that I would stop it from doing so.

Any comments would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-29-2016 12:05 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like you, I've always found the boot drive mounted RO.
Usually after I've entered a command and it fails with "filesystem is read-only".
Presumably the OS remounts it as RW when it needs to. I have tried "mount -o remount,ro /" after changing something and had it come back "busy" and not doing the remount, possible that's happened internally?
I would call Dolby and ask one of the Doremi techs on call.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-29-2016 05:41 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Doremi field installer manual gives the following sequence:

mount -o rw,remount /
<do what you're after>
sync
mount -o ro,remount /

However, if the system always comes up in rw, I guess there is something wrong in the startup sequence/scripts. It's probably not critical, but I would call Dolby/Doremi support to have it fixed. As a matter of fact, I would try to create a detailed report and feed it to the Dolby Log Analyzer webservice. Maybe the problem is even indicated in the report.

- Carsten

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2016 12:55 PM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Extraordinary, indeed.
I would check what the /etc/fstab file would read on the / mount part of it.
If you give the
quote:
less /etc/fstab
command, it should return something like
quote:
# /dev/sdg6
UUID=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXX / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro,ro 0 1

If this is not the case, here you are.
Someone or something did the job and forgot to undo.
For instance, did you ever had issues with recurring messages on boot with this server?

Steve Moore
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-30-2016 08:13 PM      Profile for Steve Moore   Email Steve Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks to all for your responses.
I will take a look upon my return; I've just had a weekend off (for once)

Actually this is a replacement boot flash disc, only a week old, due to a motherboard upgrade from the original intel to the new super micro MB kit.

We have had other servers with either new boot flash discs or new MB and boot disc combinations fitted too, but they are read only as expected.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-31-2016 05:13 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In that case, there is also some sort of warranty on that flash drive, so, call Dolby, and they'll fix it.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: