Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NC900c NAS server

Author Topic: NC900c NAS server
Gunnar Asgeirsson
Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2016 08:50 AM      Profile for Gunnar Asgeirsson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Asgeirsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have had the NC900c for 3 years and what have always bothering me is the limited space on this IMS. (2TB)

I was google-ing this and found a solution that looks like to be amazing.
This IMS can actully play content directly from a NAS server.

Have anyone here try this and is it stable?
I have two NC900c projectors, would it be to much bandwitch if both of them as playing content from the same NAS server at the same time?

And one thing, this build in servers are not actully IMS2000, it is NP-90MS01.
Now when Dolby owns DoReMi this servers are almost the same right?

Here is vimeo video i found about this:
https://vimeo.com/124993004

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-20-2016 06:17 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is the equivalent of the IMS1000 (not the 2000). Note, NEC is responsible for support of it, not Dolby/Doremi since it is an OEM product. I'd direct my question to either NEC or Dolby (but ask as if it was an IMS1000).

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-20-2016 06:54 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Steve says. The NP-90MS01 is a IMS1000 OEM and can not play directly from a NAS (or other local storage other than it's RAID). In theory, the IMS1000 should be able to use 2GB notebook drives, which should give you around 4GB storage. Don't know if anyone tried this yet.

- Carsten

Gunnar Asgeirsson
Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2016 07:25 PM      Profile for Gunnar Asgeirsson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Asgeirsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsten Kurz is right.
The NP-90MS01 is IMS1000 oem. Doremi server with nec branding.

I did contact dolby today and they say in email that IMS1000 can play from nas server i just need to make a software update on the server.
(they are now sending me the current version)

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-20-2016 08:02 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doremis have a feature called 'PlayWhileIngest'. It's not the same as direct play. It may help in an emergency situation, but I doubt it is helpful in general for the problem you describe. A NAS, however, will help you with your storage problem even if the IMS can not play directly from it.

- Carsten

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-25-2019 09:32 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1038 days since the last post.

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2019 09:32 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can already imagine the system generating that well known "It's been 1040 (or something) days since last post", yet I can't find any better post to ask for feedback and starting a new thread wouldn't help.

I've recently seen on the NEC site that there is a number (that Natural Number that is bigger than two, but smaller than 4) of NASes that works as intended with NP-90MS01 and one of them should be still available for ordering.
I don't see any upgrades on the Dolby side, regarding IMS1000 recommended HDDs, as far as capacity is concerned, so I am bound to repeat Steve Guttag's question under the thread “High Capacity and Compatibility server in 2016”:

quote:
Has anyone done NAS storage with it? Can one confidently play content from the NAS to it? Thus far, my only experience (limited) with NAS storage has been with Christie and that hasn't been a pleasant experience.
I do have more questions on the subject, but unless I have some feedback on the critical question, no need to bother.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-25-2019 11:02 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a very high end NAS storage. Those things can get ugly as hell as they do in the Christie IMS.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-25-2019 11:27 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone out there playing from a NAS on the IMS1000? The only Doremi/Dolby server that I know can play from a NAS is the IMS3000 and it is an either/or sort of thing. You either use a NAS or you use internal storage.

Now a NAS can provide a storage tank for content but it still need to get to the local drives for playback on the older servers. As others have noted, P-INGEST merely is a means to allow content to play while it is ingesting by giving it a head start...it is still playing from the local drives.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: