Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Barco 2.1.12: watch out

Author Topic: Barco 2.1.12: watch out
Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-18-2016 03:38 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To all: I discourage the installation of Barco 2.1.12 software, at this time. It can have issues on the update that could render your projector inoperative. This is not an absolute nor even a preponderance of the time. It has good stuff in it but the danger on the update, for me, outweighs its potential benefits. Note, I'm speaking for Xenon based projectors, I have not tried it in the Laser based ones.

1.13.190 has been stable for me for some time now (1.13.191 can have lens anomalies).

|  IP: Logged

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2016 04:02 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just think.....does they have team and projector to test it ALL before they go public with new version of firmware? Or, at least they could send it to some beta testers like smaller cinemas or so (it sound weird, but yes...it is less problem to f** aomething in smaller villafe cinema, than in 18 plex or so).....

Did not try it yet, i was afraid to do so and wait for the comments like this from Steve.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-18-2016 04:18 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Version 2? No release notes, and file is 22MB vs 4MB that it used to be.

What's the improvement?

And thanks BTW!

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-18-2016 04:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have select sites where things get tested before they get pushed wide. New things have to prove themselves for about a month before they are even considered for wide distribution.

Normally, I do wait about 2-weeks before putting a toe in the water (Christie is notorious for releasing and removing) however, at this site, I still had 1.3.191 and was about to roll back to 1.13.190 because of a lens anomaly. However 2.1.12 had the fix for that in it.

However, this brings about another discussion on why some software fixes can take time. One has to consider all of the ramifications based on all of the permutations of a product and, in the case of DCinema, the interaction of products not under your control. Does anyone remember when series 2 first came out and nobody's stuff talked well with everyone else's? For all I know, the software will not have an issue updating with all but the right combination to make it have a hard time. You have running production changes due to obsolescence of parts and things work well until a later update that works well with all current stuff may have an issue with not the first but the second generation of something...it can be quite tricky.

If the projector and server companies really wanted to ensure compatibility, they'd have to have one of everything so see if there is a bad interaction. I watched one server software variation fill up an Enigma in just 15 minutes time but for only one projector model. That kind of crap CAN happen and it is very hard to guard against.

I don't generally post anything negative (there are exceptions) and I don't consider my post as negative but informative to avoid any issues by unsuspecting people since this is a RELEASE version of the software.

Marco, the "Release Notes" are there...look under documentation for the various projectors. 2.1.12 and beyond is to be the harmonizing of the C and CLP versions and the software will work with either (when it doesn't have issues). It will decide which Cinema Controller you have and load accordingly.

I will say this...a LOT changes. There are now 6 potential stages to the update instead of 5. The fan controller, Cinema Controller, Light Module, Router all get updated on this one. The xenon lamps get incorporated into a major update as well as the new short and HC lenses are now in there. As I said, it seems to touch a lot of the projector...more than the release notes allude to.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-18-2016 04:45 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No release notes on my site. Must be different than the one you use. But again thanks for the heads up.

Out of curiosity, what is the lens issue you experienced with 191?

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-18-2016 05:06 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the problems is that you'll have garbage characters in place of the actual lens. I've heard others tell of not getting the home and return to work properly too.

BTW..."my Barco" issued a link to the release notes today. Again, the release notes seemed to not tell the whole story of what was going on as many items are "touched" by this release.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-18-2016 05:12 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sure, I noticed that too. I was going to report that back to Barco. Glad it is not just me. The lens worked fine though.

I'll keep an eye on my barco for the release notes then.

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-18-2016 05:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW...if you are hard pressed for release notes. Load the new file into DC Update companion as if you are going to do the update to a projector but click on the release notes button and you can read them there. And if desired, highlight them all and right-click and you'll be offered a "copy" box so you can paste them into a document/file (same is true if you are looking at logs via the diagnostics reader).

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-18-2016 06:01 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barco engineering is now saying do not install 2.1.12, and are getting it removed from the website.
Some issues can be resolved with reinstalling the package but some projector boards have been unrecoverable.
I can live with scrambled lens types vs a bricked projector!

Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2016 06:14 PM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One problem I guess is that it is leaving CLO sensors inoperable

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-18-2016 06:57 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
YES...the CLO can be affected. Me personally, 1.13.190 is where I'm sticking until a stable version of beyond is out there. Note, they say that if 2.1.12 did update successfully, there is no reason to roll back...either it works or it doesn't.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-18-2016 08:34 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marin Zorica
(it sound weird, but yes...it is less problem to f** aomething in smaller villafe cinema, than in 18 plex or so).
I disagree. If one projector is down in an 18-plex then you can juggle the other 17 screens and still maintain something close to a regular schedule. If my projector quits, I'm closed until further notice.

"But I drove 90 miles to see this movie!..."

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-19-2016 05:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And this version has been pulled now.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: