Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk - tech specs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk - tech specs
Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-17-2016 07:38 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to ISDCF, Sony is planning to release Billy Lynn on November 11, 2016 in three preferred formats - all in SMPTE-DCP (Type A):
3D60-2K (250Mb/s)
2D60-2K (250Mb/s)
2D120-2K (250Mb/s)

This seems to be the world's first HFR-only and 2D-HFR release.

I'm quite excited to watch the 120fps version on our Barco, but I am still prepared for the usual 'soapiness'...

- Carsten

|  IP: Logged

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2016 08:45 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How exciting! Let us know! I'd love to see that

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-18-2016 07:25 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure on that? I believe those are just the "premium" formats and that there will be a 2D 24FPS version available. I know I've told my customers that are planning on running it that they should request a 24fps copy as a backup.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-18-2016 12:35 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's 'according to ISDCF'. There is no explicit mentioning of these framerates to be exclusive, though. While mathematically easy, it could be perceptually complicated to issue a 24fps DCP from a 120fps master due to motion blur/strobing issues.

- Carsten

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-18-2016 01:42 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ISDCF only mentions the premium formats. I didn't see anywhere that the ONLY versions will be the HFR.

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-18-2016 03:12 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got a USB with test clips for Billy Lynn. Barco/GDC will play 60 but not 120fps. Apparently GDC is the holdup.

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-18-2016 03:29 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only 120fps servers for Billy Lynn, that I'm aware are the IMS1000 and IMS2000 (and probably the Alchemy, it has the highest bandwidth of them all). Even the CAT745, which boasted 120fps in its release notes isn't "certified" for running Billy Lynn beyond 60fps (2D or 3D).

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-18-2016 04:31 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did my own 120FPS Test-DCP with DCP-o-matic and it played fine on our Alchemy.

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-19-2016 03:05 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Even the CAT745, which boasted 120fps in its release notes isn't "certified" for running Billy Lynn beyond 60fps
Yep, I did notice the small asterisk added on the latest release notes asking to check with Dolby first!

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-19-2016 04:54 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby has a special Field Bulletin (260) document on Billy Lynn as to which servers support which of the HFR framerates.

- Carsten

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-19-2016 06:02 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't it seem like the HFR information about this movie has only recently become available. It's been a while since I've looked into HFR comment, but the Avatar sequels are the only things I'm aware of as upcoming.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-23-2016 07:47 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was announced very early that Ang Lee would shoot Billy Lynn in 120fps/4k, but it took a long time until they settled on the final formats the cinema industry would receive to show it.

And...again...: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/movies/2016/10/billy_lynn_s_long_halftime_walk_looks_fantastic_it_s_also_unwatchable.html

- Carsten

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-23-2016 02:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So why aren't any of the marketing materials for this in HFR? TV ads and Youtube videos can easily be 60fps. Do they have something to hide? Are they afraid of turning people off due to the look?

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-23-2016 05:33 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Joe! [Roll Eyes] [Wink]

I really wish Sony was forthcoming with more than just a motion test pattern. I have sites that are going to run this and while I can verify that we are passing the 60fps part, I have not verified that the color will be right. When running 60fps on those HDSDI systems that can handle the frame rate, one is backing down to a 4:2:2 10-bit color (essentially using the 3D colorspace of the system but not doing any frame duplication). I'd be nice if they had some color image (even a still) on top of the motion test (a clever enough motion test).

While one can make (and I have) their own 60fps target..I'd feel MUCH more comfortable if the same people that are making the feature send out say the trailer in 60fps (sort of like DTS did for Jurassic Park, way back when) so we have a proof-positive that things are ready AHEAD of time. But maybe Joe has something there...people might pre-judge the movie based on seeing the soap opera look in the preview.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-23-2016 09:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like this is going to have the same problem the Hobbit movies had. It looks so realistic, that it feels unrealistic.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: