Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Christie Projectionist Needs to Learn Barco!

Author Topic: Christie Projectionist Needs to Learn Barco!
Jack Bean
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2016 03:10 PM      Profile for Jack Bean   Email Jack Bean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

First-time poster here. I'm the sole projectionist at a luxury movie theater in San Diego, CA. Not sure how common this is in the theater industry, but most of our day-to-day projection systems are so automated, there's no need for more than one projectionist. I have an assistant who doubles as a supervisor who helps me with the semi-monthly breaking down and deep-cleaning of the equipment and the occasional issues that come up while I'm not around. But it's mostly a one-man show. I can get the bulk of my weekly duties done in a couple hours, so most of my job is maintenance and upkeep.

Anyway, we are currently an eight-plex, closed for renovations. We're adding four screens within the next month or so, and at least three of these new screens will have Barco projectors, seemingly to cut costs. The problem lies in the fact my assistant and myself have only been trained in the use and repair of Christie projectors. I think maybe three people in the company even know how to use Barcos, and they're transplants from the corporate office in Mexico, which means their grasp on the English language is tenuous, at best. Normally, this in and of itself wouldn't bother me, but I feel it's an issue when you're trying to train someone in the use and maintenance of sensitive electronic equipment and software. But, I digress.

Training has yet to begin, so I wanted to take this opportunity to sort of get a public consensus from Barco users on this board (or, better yet, projectionists who have used both Barcos AND Christies) of what I can expect from this fiasco. How difficult is it to learn Barco? How different are they from Christie? Will Screenwriter (our theater management software) be able to control both types of projectors?

Tl;dr I know Christie, need to learn Barco. How screwed am I? How much of a pain in the ass is this going to be? What are their differences and similarities? Any and all info or anecdotes would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

|  IP: Logged

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2016 04:04 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine you'll find it much easier to handle than you seem to expect. If you have a good handle on any brand of digital projector, knowledge will transfer over well.

As for what the normal staffing situation is in a digital booth, count yourself lucky. Most chains did away with projectionists entirely, leaving managers to do the simple maintenance and the rest to the techs.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-16-2016 05:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, it is like learning to drive a Chevy versus a BMW...they all have the same stuff just it may be in a different place.

Barco is into washable filters, Christie and NEC are into disposable so your cleaning duties will be different there. Barco is far FAR easier to work on though many will find that lamp changes are easier on the Christie (no extra lamphouse...just put the lamp in like you would on a film projector). But this brings up the question:

What Christie projectors do you have and what Barco projectors are you getting?

Odds are, you'll have more of a time adjusting to the different servers (if they are different) than the projectors.

Your TMS should be good with either projector (or whatever servers you are using). Arts Alliance is server/projector agnostic.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-16-2016 08:24 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Steve said, but I prefer the Barco lamphouse since I can sit at a table and work on it.
The Barco touchpanel (optional so you might not get them?) is just a fancy remote control: not like Christie where the TCP is the half the brains of the projector and a big deal if it craps out (and it runs Windows XP...).
The TI stuff is exactly the same, so if you use the TI control programs not much changes. The non-TI test pattern files are different. Board operational security logins are different - ie you can't use a Christie ICP or Enigma in a Barco. Service logins are the same.
Barco projectors all have slick motorized lenses, but a self aligning motorized lamphouse is a (rarely seen) option (and a bit crudely done). Christie gives you a slick motorized lamphouse but on many models the motorized lens is an expensive (although common) and Rube Goldberg-ish option.
Backup and diagnostic log extraction is different but that won't take long to learn.
Barco's "macro" structure is different from the Christie channel structure but they get the same result. It's not hard to work with either way.
Most LMS/TMS systems are OK with any server, but will need some work to load up or specify the control schemes for a new server type.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-16-2016 09:13 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm transitioning from NEC to Barco in one of our three houses. Like Steve and the others say, the principles are all the same, and the functions in the communicator front end are also the same - the front end just looks a little different.

I like the removable lamphouse cartridge on the Barco: being able to swap out bulbs on the bench and with decent light, rather than crouched over the back of the machine in semi-darkness, is a welcome improvement.

I don't like not being able to have a cat745 IMB and DCI-encrypted dual SDI connected simultaneously, though. It's a reassuring failsafe on the NEC to know that if the cat745 fails (which it has once in the 2.5 years I've been working here), we can be up and running with the cat862 through the Enigma board within 10 minutes, albeit in 2K only.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-17-2016 06:36 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note, on most Christies, the HDSDI is built into the PIB board so they are always there (but the Enigma is now an optional extra) so regardless of IMB, you always have SDI available.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-19-2016 03:17 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I started with NECs with another company, then when I went to a 14 plex that had film and one NEC to begin the digital.

Year later, in came Barco DP2K-20C units. Had to learn how to change a bulb in a module (which was rather interesting being the hardest).

Barco and the NEC were attached to Doremi 2-4K units

Finally, in came the Sony 320 units..and they have their own servers.

With this setup, in came the SONY TMS which could talk to the Doremi.

The techs that showed my the Barco and the Sony, went through the training in lightening speed form then left.

We were left on our own. I had to do the location training on the Sony TMS. I did the training on the machine maintenance and troubleshooting...from my own experiences.

With a setup of having three units, on really got seasoned in on digital.

Now, I have 15 Barcos, one with the ICMB Alchemy installed to work with the Barco Escape Presentation format.

It's fun being left on your own and you have to figure a lot of stuff out on your own. Thank goodness I can use a pair of pliers and a screwdriver with no problems.

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-19-2016 04:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Thank goodness I can use a pair of pliers and a screwdriver with no problems.

Monte, Heather told me to never let you near those tools!!! [Wink]

Mark

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-19-2016 06:39 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She Says "Hello" -- she was here this wknd visiting fam.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2016 07:06 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be overkill but Barco does have tech classes at the Sacramento area location. A bit expensive but good.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: