Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby DSS200 software version 4.8.6 trouble (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Dolby DSS200 software version 4.8.6 trouble
Matthew Heuer
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2016 02:03 PM      Profile for Matthew Heuer   Email Matthew Heuer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been having issues with our dss200s running version 4.8.6. Randomly they will experience the "timeline issue" where the show will indicate running but the timeline will not advance and the show will not play. Rebooting is the only thing that works in most cases, however twice now the issue has been unrecoverable, and the cat 862 had to be sent back to dolby. prior to sending the cat 862 back i tried clean installs of cat862 and the os. then tried re-installs to earlier versions....either the timeline issue remained or the whitescreen issue arose if i went back far enough. Dolby support has been telling me they know about this bug and have been working on it, but it has been some time and no one there knows when a fix might come. My question would be would it be safe to downgrade to 4.8.4 or some other version safely. Perhaps if i downgrade before the issue arises it may work and be more stable or does anyone know how to recover these units another way as software re-installs do not seem to do it.
We use Christie Solaria series projectors with the dss200s.
thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2016 02:15 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can downgrade to 4.8.4. Have done it. Have a similar problem as well. 4.8.9 just came out. Was told way back when that this is suppose to address that issue but I could not find anything in the release notes to indicate it. I have an email to Dolby support about it. Will update when I get a response.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-15-2016 05:41 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the next version is always going to fix all the issues! [Big Grin]

Nice to hear about 4.9 - it would be nice to hear from Dolby too. It would help.

Matthew Heuer
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2016 07:36 PM      Profile for Matthew Heuer   Email Matthew Heuer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephan, when you downgraded to 4.8.4 were you still having problems on those servers after the downgrade or were they okay and you are having problems with other servers.
thanks

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2016 08:00 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually downgraded from 4.8.6 to 4.8.2. No more issues with freezing when going into play but the freezing on security log download came back and just recently issues with playback freezing and then starting up. Might have to due with audit log issue.

Still waiting to hear about 4.8.9. The site I am talking about is a bit unusual in that it is a miniplex configuration but setup for the Christie NOC. One issue might be that control is normally on the theatre network but in this case it is on the auditorium network. The auditorium switches are then tied together with a management switch which is then connected to Christie's proxy server and router.

Matthew Heuer
Film Handler

- posted 10-15-2016 10:15 PM      Profile for Matthew Heuer   Email Matthew Heuer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes the freezing on security download issue, been there too, was trying to get away from that by upgrading to 4.8.6. Rats..maybe I'll just tough it out a little longer and see if that fix comes along. We are on the christie NOC setup too, and I've often wondered if that created any subtle conflicts as it differs from dolby's normal network scheme. Seems like things are better if the complex is cleaned out often like once a week all old clips are deleted along with built shows, purge orphan files and reboot all machines including the dsl100. Seems like things are worse after a lot of content is transferred through the network. So maybe there is something to it. I can deal with a few reboots here and there but after 2 bricked cat862s recently I feel like I have 21 ticking time bombs on my hand.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-16-2016 05:32 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
with "freezing" you mean the picture freezes while downloading? That happens on the 745 too but usually there is no picture at the end of the show so I guess it's not a priority for Dolby. You can also close the dowser before the end of the show.

I am not aware of a great deal of issues with 4.8.8-4, why not trying the latest (till yesterday) version? It's not perfect, don't get me wrong, but what is stopping you from upgrading?

Anyway when downgrading you should clear up the showmanager database (it will also wipe something else I cannot remember now (GPIO's and/or serial cues and/or shows) but then it should work.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-16-2016 10:22 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While I have not personally experienced the show freeze on 4.8 on the CAT862, I've heard enough about it to know it definitely exists. I'd say that if you are susceptible to it, to roll back to 4.8.4 as that is a "safe" version of 4.8.

I have exactly two CAT862s that have fallen victim to the "white screen" issue. That fix (and worked) came in 4.8.5. So, if you have that issue, the only way is up.

I'd suggest giving 4.8.9.12 a try. If you have a CAT745 or are using a 3rd party TMS system, definitely move to 4.8.9.12. There were two issues I've come across when 3rd Party TMSes are involved...the audit logs can fill up on the CAT862 and the 3rd party TMS may not properly remove old shows. For instance, if you have the Cinedigm/Hollywood software's TCC, I can definitely say you have a LOT of partially deleted shows in there. 4.8.9 will purge anything older than 6-months of either the Audit logs from the CAT862 or the partially deleted shows (either problem could cause erratic behavior)

4.8.9 has been reasonably stable (as stable as any 4.8 version) for me. It still doesn't have the "Disconnected" fix in it, or not a complete fix but it does bring about other improvements including a faster boot up and better handling of SMPTE packages (included encrypted subtitles).

Note, you only need a CAT862 KDM if you are upgrading from 4.8.5 or earlier. 4.8.6 - 4.8.9 use the same CAT862 software so no additional KDMs are needed to upgrade between those versions.

As to what Marco said, if you "unconfig" and select option 2, you will lose your serial cues and GPIO. Generally, I only unconfig option 2 if Show Manager has become corrupt (stuck on the splash screen, for instance). Once 4.9 hits the streets, one will be able to save their serial and GPIO cues in an editable XML file so this won't be such a big deal but it sure is a pain now.

Matthew Heuer
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2016 01:26 PM      Profile for Matthew Heuer   Email Matthew Heuer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the input. Considering the CAT862 version is the same in 4.8.9 (and that jives with my last conversation with dolby last week that the "timeline" issue has not been fixed yet) I think my best option for now is to try and roll back to 4.8.4 assuming the cat862 is at fault. I'll double check with dolby on Monday.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-16-2016 04:42 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One day I will make some time and count all the software versions that Dolby have released over the years! [Smile]

Mattias Mattsson
Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2016 05:46 PM      Profile for Mattias Mattsson   Email Mattias Mattsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Once 4.9 hits the streets, one will be able to save their serial and GPIO cues in an editable XML file so this won't be such a big deal but it sure is a pain now.
Sure it is a bit painful but you actually can extract the GPIO xml also in earlier versions by running the getAllParameters.sh script:

showstore-1:~/scripts$ ./getAllParameters.sh localhost | grep -A30 gpio
showstore.settings.automation.gpioConfigurationTwo - <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<GPIOConfiguration>
<OutputPin pin="2" polarity="HIGH">
<LatchOutput enableName="GPO2ON" disableName="GPO2OFF"/>
</OutputPin>
<OutputPin pin="3" polarity="HIGH">
<LatchOutput enableName="GPO3ON" disableName="GPO3OFF"/>
</OutputPin>
<OutputPin pin="4" polarity="HIGH">
<LatchOutput enableName="GPO4ON" disableName="GPO4OFF"/>
</OutputPin>
<OutputPin pin="5" polarity="HIGH">
<LatchOutput enableName="GPO5ON" disableName="GPO5OFF"/>
</OutputPin>
<OutputPin pin="6" polarity="HIGH">
<LatchOutput enableName="GPO6ON" disableName="GPO6OFF"/>
</OutputPin>
<OutputPin pin="7" polarity="HIGH">
<PulseOutput name="GPO7" width="1000"/>
</OutputPin>
<OutputPin pin="8" polarity="HIGH">
<PulseOutput name="GPO8" width="1000"/>
</OutputPin>
<OutputPin pin="9" polarity="HIGH">
<PulseOutput name="GPO9" width="1000"/>
</OutputPin>
<OutputPin pin="10" polarity="HIGH">
<PulseOutput name="GPO10" width="1000"/>
</OutputPin>
</GPIOConfiguration>

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-16-2016 05:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No need to count...just look at the release notes...they list the GA (first release) and the Patch releases for each major version.

I have heard that if you roll back to 4.8.4 and clear the problem of the show freeze that you can then go back to a higher version and be without incident but use your own best judgement.

Mattias. Yeah...the only reason to have to do that is if YOU didn't set up the GPIO that is in there. If it is factory, then cut/paste from any release note...modify as needed and just load it back in (it will over-right whatever is there). I have a "No GPIO" one that I load on so all of the GPIO stuff doesn't show up on the "cues".

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-16-2016 05:54 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One day I will make some time and count all the software versions that Dolby have released over the years!
[Roll Eyes] [Eek!] [Big Grin] [Razz]

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-17-2016 06:39 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
No need to count...just look at the release notes...they list the GA (first release) and the Patch releases for each major version.
Still, it will take some time to process all the release notes!

I have installed 4.8.9 today, so far so good.
I've never had issues with Dolby 3D and light balancing though, what is 4.8.9 supposed to fix?

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-17-2016 10:45 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had not had the light balancing issue either (that I'm aware of).

If you have 3rd party TMSes then you likely have a lot of partially deleted shows and potentially a CAT862 whose audit logs are filling up. Both are addressed by flushing anything over 6-months old.

The server boots up notably faster (shaved over 30-seconds from the boot-up time). It now can decrypt SMPTE subtitles (you'll see affected content when it is selected, if you are looking at it).

It is all in the release notes.

And Mark, what is your point? How about GDC that on version 8 alone took over a 180 tries to get it stable [Eek!]

The fact that Dolby or GDC or whomever keep working on their product isn't necessarily a bad thing (it can be when they add bugs). At the moment, there are probably more GDC software releases per server than Dolby but that makes them neither better or worse.

Remember too, the playing field keeps changing as new standards and formats come out. When there is a moving target, you are going to have to keep playing with it or do what Dolby did with the DSS100/DSP100...draw a line and say, that is it we are not developing it anymore and it is stuck in the era in which it was made. The DSS100/DSP100 top out at System 4.7 and even THEN there have been a few patch releases after they drew the line to ensure compatibility.

Take the Doremi line of product...no new software in a long time...and it is FAR from perfect. You get stability there but you also have to live with the shortcomings too.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: