Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » QSC Q-Sys Core 500i in multiple auditoriums?

Author Topic: QSC Q-Sys Core 500i in multiple auditoriums?
Ariel Vocal
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2016 11:00 PM      Profile for Ariel Vocal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
anyone has experience using a single QSC Q-Sys Core 500i processor in multiples auditoriums with 7.1 sound systems? What are the pros and cons of this system?

Thank you!

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-15-2016 03:34 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there has been a post with some pictures.
Quite interesting, my only concern is reliability and serviceability - would you feel confident working with one auditorium knowing that other 5 screens are currently on screen using the same processor?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-15-2016 08:00 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It can and has been done, but to expand on Marco's comment, would you feel comfortable if (or possibly "when") one auditorium's sound processor fails that you lose FIVE auditoriums???

I think not. That concept ranks right up there with the idea of a 5-plex running content off of one "streaming central TMS server".

Now the Q-SYS Cores can be setup to run in a failsafe mode, so there is a redundant Core ready to hop online in a split second, but again it is my strong opinion that redundancy should be reserved to protect important/large auditoriums and not merely as a cost-cutting measure.

The Core 110f is a low cost Q-SYS Core of which I've installed a dozen of and they are very nice indeed and ideally suited for conventional 5.1/7.1 auditoriums as a cinema processor. I would recommend you look into that model.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-15-2016 01:13 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And now QSC has the digital front end for it with the DAX602 and DAX802.

Me personally, I could definitely see running multiple auditoriums with a redundant system...particularly for any move-over houses. Though for "premium" houses are the big theatre(s)...no, I'd keep them as islands.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-15-2016 07:33 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No AES inputs?

- Carsten

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-15-2016 07:41 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 110f is analog in/out. No dataports either.

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 10-27-2016 07:16 AM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are doing this with as much as 4 screens (7.1) on one core, with redundancy on both core and network, it has been working flawlessly (only a case of a dead switch has made the system swap to the redundant network)

We are planning to use 110f at the next installs running 6 screens on one core (since 110f has 256 channel vs 128 on a i500). 110f has no space for AES input carts, instead using a I/O frame pr screen will do. This will also spare the need to do CAT7 cabeling from servers to core). But since 110f's are cheaper that i500 the cost will compairable to the other setup, and no need to split the AES input to 2 cores. So all in all an easier install...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-27-2016 12:48 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me know how that cost-saving tactic goes for you on that day when there is some sort of hiccup in the network and you lose 6 screens all at once while you reboot a managed switch.

The 110f Cores are inexpensive. I just don't get the logic.

-

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-27-2016 03:37 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Brad here.
It's a nice exercise but it's a ticking bomb. The system will fail one day and you'll lose all 6 screens in one go.
Not worth.

Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2016 05:47 AM      Profile for Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Author's Homepage   Email Anders Nordentoft-Madsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You did get the part about redundant cores AND network/switches, right? Oldest install has been running 1½ years without any problems...

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 11-08-2016 07:10 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does that actually work with redundant cores? Two Core devices in a failover configuration?

And does it really pay out over multiple conventional CPs per auditorium pricewise?

I guess with distributed I/O, it is a bit easier to place equipment, although some may say the best place for auditorium equipment is still the central booth rack.

- Carsten

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 11-08-2016 12:44 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Anders Nordentoft-Madsen
You did get the part about redundant cores AND network/switches, right? Oldest install has been running 1½ years without any problems...
Why yes I certainly did get that part about redundant Cores. Have you ever had a raid fail even though only one drive was failing? Raids are supposed to protect the data with redundancy, but it happens. Likewise have you ever completely lost a raid5 because a drive failed and even though everyone knew the drive failed another drive failed before the first drive could be replaced and the raid rebuilt?

Shit happens. The older the system gets the higher the probability of you watching a chunk of your building all failing at once.

I have two questions for you:
*How much money did your theater spend on the entire building complex?

*Do your customers patronize your concession stand even if you can't run the movie?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: