Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NC900c schedule editor slow (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: NC900c schedule editor slow
Gunnar Asgeirsson
Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2016 10:08 AM      Profile for Gunnar Asgeirsson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Asgeirsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
We have three screen cinema. NC2000c with dolby server and then we have two NC900c.

We have had this for 3 years.
We do not have any TMS.

But i have always find the schedule editor in the built in NC900c DoReMi server so slow.
I just use the browser (Chrome)
When i open the schedule editor it takes a lot of time to start showing me the current schedule, when i click new and add a new show it take a lot of time for the show to appears, and if i click to quickly to something else everything freeze and i have to restart the projector.
And sometimes when i open the schedule editor the show does not appears at all and the schedule do not appear.

It takes so much time to add in the schedule.
Meanwhile i can make the entire schedule for whole week in Dolby since it is just drag and drop and no waiting time.

Is possible to deal with this schedule in NC900c/DoReMi in some software rather than using this slow browser feature.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-14-2016 11:43 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope...that is the "joy" of the IMS1000 (or the NEC equivalent). Its web interface is what it is. I think I found that Firefox did as well as any with it.

I'm surprised that you didn't go with DSS200/220s all of the way around. It would have gotten you the GUI you liked AND they would have all networked together so you could schedule all three at once. The Dolby Show Manager will handle up to three system designating one screen as the "TMS" for a mini-plex.

Gunnar Asgeirsson
Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2016 10:45 AM      Profile for Gunnar Asgeirsson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Asgeirsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is sad to hear.
I was hoping to find some solution since this interface it pretty bad as it is.

Hopefully we can get the Dolby TMS here soon.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-17-2016 05:30 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
look at the french cine digital
http://www.cinedigitalmanager.com/cdm/en/

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-18-2016 08:28 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gunnar Asgeirsson
I was hoping to find some solution since this interface it pretty bad as it is.
Replacement is the best option. Not sure an external TMS will help offset all of it's drawbacks....

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-18-2016 08:34 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The man is complaining about scheduling, not about reliability so how is your advise of any value there? Gordon was showing a TMS that would be brand agnostic (he has different servers) such that having a unifying TMS would possibly negate the scheduling issue and actually unify his equipment.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-18-2016 12:04 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doremi TMS is the "old" Doremi TMS and it works with multiple server brands, definitely Dolby & Doremi.

There's a webGUI update (1.1.26) for the IMS that seems a bit faster and fixes some oddball bugs like the local vs UTC KDM confusion.

Agreed that the GUI is not the IMS's best feature.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-18-2016 01:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
The man is complaining about scheduling, not about reliability
He's only complaining that its slow, apparently you missed that. I doubt a TMS is gonna help the slow situation, it will only allow for a hands off mode. It's slow because it's web server based. If there is a way around that then fine, but I doubt it... Web is always slower, so unless you have a real live GUI you're pretty much stuck in slow mode. It's on board processing power is also quite disgusting.

The couple of these I have to deal with have had the GUI update and it really did not help very much... Both theater owners regret ever having bought them...

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-18-2016 01:45 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did catch it. However, if the TMS is good, then the UI of the individual server is irrelevant. The user only interacts with the TMS and if it is fast, then their experience will be as well. You don't really think there is an API for the IMS1000? How do you think a TMS interacts with screen servers? Through the web GUI?

Do you discount the SX3000 because it is notably slower than the SX2000AR and SX2001 servers? If you use the GDC TMS, how often does one actually have to go the individual screen to interact with the UI?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-18-2016 01:53 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, considering what the SX3000 is running on it's doing pretty dam good. The only time it's noticeable slower is when you go to save a setting, then, yes.. it takes a few seconds.

Of course the IMS web gui isn't interfacing directly to the tms, but the slow action of the web gui is no other fault than that of the main (very slow) processor. If you ran that web gui on the processor the SX-3000 has it would be ten times faster. So I'm not so sure you'll see any better performance of the IMS through a TMS. If there was any real advantage then places that have lots of them would all be TMS only. But they are not, and I suspect there is a good reason why.

Sorry, there is no defending this piece of crap. It is what it is and way too many theater owners unknowingly got stuck with them.

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 10-18-2016 03:27 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost all of our multis have a TMS of some sort, regardless of server brand. We have one 4 plex that has a mix of Doremi (2K4, IMS1000 and IMS2000). Check this out, they use the web interface on the 2K4! At this time, they do not have a proper TMS so using the web GUI provided a degree of uniformity between three models.

The SX3000 is slower in just about all interaction, not just saves. The IMS stuff feels as fast.

Gunnar Asgeirsson
Film Handler

- posted 10-20-2016 10:37 AM      Profile for Gunnar Asgeirsson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Asgeirsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found a video from Dolby where they show exactly this schedule editor.
In this demonstation video from dolby this schedule editor is much faster, everything happen after the mousclick.
That have never been the chase on this 3 years we have had this projectors (and servers)

Here is the video from dolby:
https://vimeo.com/162302504

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 10-20-2016 04:49 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the video shows an IMS2000 though.

Ian Freer
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2016 04:43 PM      Profile for Ian Freer   Email Ian Freer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gunnar, which software versions are the servers running?

If they're three years old and haven't been updated during that time there could be a number of improvements to be gained from upgrading.

As everyone has already pointed out, the IMS interface is not fast, but a year or two back I had a couple of sites reporting these servers getting slower and slower to respond, and eventually being almost impossible to access for a time.

After having software upgrades to the most current versions at the time, the response improved enough to actually work relatively reliably.

It will probably never be as fast as the Dolby GUI, but it should at least be useable without constant crashes and hours of waiting to enter a schedule...

Ian

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 11-02-2016 02:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A three pound hammer aids in getting the correct upgrade done in a shortest amount of time.

Mark

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: