Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » QSC, LLC Acquires Ultra-Stereo Labs, Inc. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: QSC, LLC Acquires Ultra-Stereo Labs, Inc.
Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2016 11:34 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two of the most powerful brands in the cinema equipment industry join forces

http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/pr.aspx?newsID=4547

|  IP: Logged

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-03-2016 11:45 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
USL will be missed. Great service, fast response to industry needs, and always a great competitor that kept other brands sharp.

I'm proud of my association with USL.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-03-2016 11:52 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was afraid for a while this could happen... after the digital rollout is over, times must have become harder for USL. I just hope QSC keeps most of USLs lineup (and employees...).

- Carsten

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-03-2016 01:43 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As the press release states, Jack Cashin will have a continuing role so USL will live on in a new way.

Things keep changing, that's the only constant in life.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2016 03:40 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam,

Is BACP still in business?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-03-2016 04:08 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it is Sean!

Really sorry to see this happen to USL, but at least they continue.

Mark

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-03-2016 06:20 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BACP is indeed still in business. I was always independent of USL although in close partnership on some products. I'm mostly a dealer of a full line of products from all the best vendors.

I have quite a stock of analog readers as well parts for same. Also parts and used digital readers to take care of BACP digital readers.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-04-2016 11:50 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Harold,

Whats going to happen to you? Were you absorbed with USL over to QSC?

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-04-2016 01:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
Really sorry to see this happen to USL, but at least they continue.
I think that is it though. It had to be a bit of a Ray Dolby moment but on a much smaller scale. You have Jack and the desire to have what you have worked on to live on, in some fashion.

I don't think there was the option of going public (or it would be a very small option) and everyone has seen how that has changed Dolby quite a bit.

Jack was/is such a major part of everything USL, I do wonder, as time passes, how QSC will run with the USL type equipment if he isn't directly at the heart of the products.

One thing nice about dealing with a small company, such as USL...they really seem interested in customer input and are reasonably fast at responding to same. Bigger companies seem to have difficulty there. It isn't that they don't listen but they move like they are covered in molasses and they don't listen to the "little guys" as loudly. With USL, you always felt like you had a voice that got heard and you saw it on the actual products.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-04-2016 09:15 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think that things are going to change that much really. USL has always had outstanding customer service and great products, and have helped me out on many jobs....and QSC, even though they are a much larger operation, has, in my experience anyways, been the same. More than once QSC has gone out of their way to help me out with any issues with their products, and have often repaired or replaced amplifiers (even out of warranty) at very little or no cost to me or my clients.

I think the merger is gonna work out great for both companies.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2016 04:48 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad to hear that Sam. I knew you are separate from USL the thread just brought up an opportunity to inquire.

Samuel Hynds
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2016 04:04 PM      Profile for Samuel Hynds   Email Samuel Hynds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
QSC would like to clear up some questions about our recent acquisition of USL, Inc.

Our press release can be found at this link:

http://www.qsc.com/news/news/detail/qsc-llc-announces-the-acquisition-of-ultra-stereo-labs-inc-usl/

We have also created a list of Frequently Asked Questions and answers:

How will you integrate the companies?
We are in the process of forming an integration team responsible for developing a smooth and seamless integration plan building on the strengths of both companies, including personnel, technologies, business relationships, customers, expertise, and products. As this process could be very lengthy, USL will continue to operate as usual under the management and guidance of QSC.

What does this acquisition mean for QSC Dealers?
In the short term, there will be no immediate changes to either company’s product line or distribution channel. There is significant overlap in our Dealer networks; many QSC dealers are already USL dealers, and vice versa. Over time, and on a case-by-case basis, we may unify pricing and discount structures. QSC Dealers who are not already USL Dealers must apply separately for USL Dealership status.

Will you retain the USL name and brand?
Yes. We recognize that USL (and Ultra Stereo) is a well-respected brand in the global cinema market. USL has acquired significant “brand equity” over the years, which is one of the reasons why QSC was interested in the acquisition and is now delighted USL is now part of QSC. The USL name should now be considered a QSC brand.

What does this acquisition mean for USL Dealers?
No immediate changes are foreseen. But it does not mean that USL Dealers will automatically become QSC Dealers. USL Dealers who are not already QSC Dealers, but wish to become a QSC Dealer must apply for Dealership status and be approved before they gain access to the QSC Cinema Products line.

How will the USL and QSC cinema product catalog change?
Since the USL and QSC cinema product catalogs are highly complementary no immediate changes or product discontinuations to the USL or QSC cinema catalog are expected or planned. Over the next 12 to 18 months, our combined sales, product management, research and development teams will be working to evaluate areas for technology innovation and platform enhancement, as well as product line optimization and extension.

What about warranty and service policies?
No changes for the immediate future. Over time, we may adjust policies to be consistent among brands.

Will Jack Cashin stay with the company?
Yes. While USL Vice President Felicia Cashin will step away from operations, Jack Cashin will remain an integral and part of the product development team for USL branded products.

I’m already a USL Dealer - how do I order products now?
For now, same as you always have. Beside Felicia Cashin, none of your usual USL contacts have changed.

What can QSC and USL customers expect from this acquisition?
Both QSC and USL have an established reputation for providing outstanding service and support to dealers and end-customers, as evidenced by the fact that there are a total of nine ICTA “Manufacturer of the Year” Awards between them. We expect this commitment to continue and grow even stronger. Customers can expect more visionary products that contribute to the overall goal of improving the movie going experience. And most importantly, customers can expect “one amazing future” from QSC Cinema.

Please stop by and see us at ShowEast if you have any further questions. Both QSC and USL will have a booth on the tradeshow floor.

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2016 08:49 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Sam! I'd still like to know if Harold will stay on board. I hope so!

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-12-2016 10:56 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
QSC bought USL for the engineering team as they have expertise QSC does not have in certain areas. There are no immediate changes and no one is going anywhere for some time.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 10-13-2016 06:13 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly, QSC just launched two new cinema audio processors:

http://www.dcinematoday.com/dc/pr.aspx?newsID=4556

One with HDMI I/O and Dolby Digital Plus™, Dolby® Surround 7.1, and DTS-HD® decoding - this would be a/the only competitor for Datasats AP20.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: