Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Rear projection with DCP

Author Topic: Rear projection with DCP
Andres Kauts
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2016 06:00 AM      Profile for Andres Kauts   Email Andres Kauts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In relation to a special event we have been asked if it is possible to use rear projection for DCP film.

I didn't find this option with our projector (Barco DP2K-20C with Alchemy) nor did I find any info on the google.

Am I correct to assume that this option is not available in dcp projectors?

|  IP: Logged

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-28-2016 06:43 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did a screening for a festival with a Barco with n0 problems

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-28-2016 08:14 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you say it is an Alchemy, I cannot say for certain. For normal Barcos (or any DLP based projector with an ICP module), it is certainly doable. On the Barco, in Communicator, go to the Advanced>Misc Settings and you will have the option for reverse screen projection. And via the ICP/Enigma program you can even specify Ceiling mounted.

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2016 02:26 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not all communicator software revisions have the above-mentioned misc. setting, at least not for default / service tech modes.

should be doable from the ICP software tho.

post which communicator ver. you are running.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-28-2016 03:44 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you name one that doesn't?

Andres Kauts
Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2016 08:04 AM      Profile for Andres Kauts   Email Andres Kauts   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. Steve instructions worked perfectly. Exactly what I needed.

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2016 08:11 AM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
probably every version before 5.x.x ?

we have a 4.9.9 and 4.4.11 running without those features. so 2014 and before versions.

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2016 09:27 AM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess would be that 4.9.9 would have this feature.
I 've just read in a January 2014 revision of the communicator manual (R59770483/09) about the feature, giving both rear and upside-down projection capabilities, and I remember them also.
January of 2014 wouldn't be after a 4.8.13 version of communicator for PC.
I've seen one DP2000 that was originally installed upside-down, but I don't know if the settings were via the communicator or the ICP and Enigma Program.
A tough one to change the cooling liquid, that one...

It goes without saying that the ICP software gives that setting too.
Alchemy gives only the rear projection alternative via the communicator 5.3.0. An ICP software might give more options.

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2016 09:18 AM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as said
 -

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 10-02-2016 10:42 AM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What does the ceiling mount setting do?

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-02-2016 10:48 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ceiling mounts allow the unit to run upside down.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 10-02-2016 11:02 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can't run a liquid cooled Barco series 2 upside down, so with their ceiling mounts - projector upright but the top un-openable - makes convergence adjustment "challenging". Less challenging than on a DP2000 though... regardless of access ease.
Changing DP2000 coolant is no problem with it upside down, if you can find a place to sit two bottles.

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2016 01:02 PM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
Changing DP2000 coolant is no problem with it upside down, if you can find a place to sit two bottles.
Well, maybe it was me, but I had to put there an extra effort, not to leave any air bubbles there.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: