Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Lost the center sound channel (and got it back)

Author Topic: Lost the center sound channel (and got it back)
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-27-2016 09:34 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is something I've never seen before.

I started tonight's movie and the center sound channel was missing. Everything else was working fine. No center sound in the auditorium or on the booth monitor.

I powered down the GDC server and the sound rack (JSD 100 sound processor), then booted everything up and started the show again and it worked perfectly.

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-27-2016 11:21 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that did not disrupt your show too much! It would be nice to know which piece of equipment had the problem, but I suspect there was not much time to experiment.

Harold

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-28-2016 12:09 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In hindsight, I could have power cycled the JSD 100 first to see if the sound came back; it boots up a lot faster than the server does. Never thought of it at the time, though. My idea at the time was that one or the other of those two gadgets were at fault and I'll just reboot them both and hope it clears itself up. Which it did.

My show ended up being about ten minutes late starting, but there was nobody here that was under about 70 years old tonight and they were actually singing songs while they were waiting for me to get it going. So I guess they kept themselves entertained. [Smile]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 09-28-2016 01:37 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a similar thing happen a couple of weeks ago -- started the movie like normal, everything looked and acted normally but we had NO sound at all. I first was suspecting the Dolby CP650, so I rebooted that, since it only takes a minute...still nothing. Rebooted the projector and SX3000, and it worked fine and has worked fine since. We didn't have a late start because I discovered the problem during our ad package, so I was able to leave off the last half of the package (which is just a repeat of the first half) and start the main program.

I hate those kind of problems where you don't know WHAT the hell happened, or why.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-28-2016 08:08 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Channel oddities on GDC servers is not an unheard of thing. What firmware are you running?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-28-2016 09:55 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, fairly common anomaly on GDC and it has something to do with the built in audio routing. 7.8 never did this, ever since 8.xx arrived they do this every once in a blue moon. So before starting your show up you might want to go out and check the moon first.

Mark

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 09-28-2016 11:15 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fortunately, there isn't a Blue Moon until May 18, 2019.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-28-2016 11:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok... then I will plan on getting at least one call from a customer that day asking why he is getting the hearing impaired track in his left screen speaker. That seems to be the most common mode it goes into when it does it. A quick reboot always fixes it.

Mark

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 09-28-2016 10:26 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
What firmware are you running?
8.01 build 244

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2016 07:17 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a service call on a GDC running 8.01 build 258 and found no L,C,R but left surround was coming out of left front and right surround out of right front.A reboot of the server and IMB corrected the situation.Sent GDC a copy of the logs and they are looking into it or so they say.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-12-2016 08:52 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL... They have been looking into it since 8.01 Build 108! The SX-3000 will also do it when the moon is blue and the wearwolves are out. Not sure about the AR series servers. I only have two of those in the field.

My customers know to reboot if this happens.

Mark

Jason Raftery
Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2016 09:44 PM      Profile for Jason Raftery   Email Jason Raftery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It happens on the ARs from time to time (at least through software version 9.0-build389), too. Typically the first show after a server/projector power cycle is where I've encountered it. Power cycling only the projector (IMB) and leaving the server running always resolves the problem--although in one memorable case, the audio misrouting reoccurred and required a 2nd IMB reset. GDC has claimed they've never been able to duplicate the issue and that the malfunction leaves no trace in the logs. [Confused]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: