Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » 4K and 2K DCP have similar bitrates (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: 4K and 2K DCP have similar bitrates
Edward Summerhays
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2016 01:08 AM      Profile for Edward Summerhays   Email Edward Summerhays   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

First post! I am not in the industry, but love movies and have taken a real interest in the technical side of cinema in recent years.

My question is regarding the bitrate standards of DCP etc.

I noticed the other day that Sully, a film with a 4K Scope DCP, has a file size of only 88GB, for a 90min feature.
http://digitalcinema.bydeluxe.com/site/dlxportal/docs/Sully_US_RLS.pdf

I compared this to another Warner Bros title, War Dogs, which is a film with a 2K scope DCP, and it's file size is 142GB for a 124min feature.
http://digitalcinema.bydeluxe.com/site/dlxportal/docs/War_Dogs_US_RLS.pdf

Considering has Sully would have 4 times the amount of data per frame, why is it's bitrate 125mb/s, vs War Dog's 156mb/s?

I am surprised that the 4K DCP has a lower bitrate than the 2K DCP. I would have thought DCP standards would allocate a higher minimum bitrate for 4K content compared to 2K.

I have noticed the same for lots of other 4K DCPs. the file sizes are roughly the same as 2K DCPs of the same length. Why is this so? are 4K DCP's compressed more efficiently?

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-06-2016 03:45 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No it's not. The same JPEG2000 compression is being used.
Both 2K and 4K (and any other formats including HFR to be honest) share the same maximum bitrate limitation of 250Mbit/s. If you compress two features - one 2K and one 4K - at maximum bitrate, then you will end up with the same file size - assuming the length of the movies is the same.

That said it seems that because of satellite/internet delivery, many distributions are prioritising the ease of transport of the media than the final quality. So you'll end up with very high compression on both 2K and 4K and also 4K smaller than 2K in some cases.

However, JPEG2000 is not MPEG2. It's very efficient and many people are questioning whether you really need all 250Mbit/s to achieve a perfectly acceptable picture on your screen.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-06-2016 04:21 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note, HFR3D, thus far has used 450Mbs with a potential 500Mbs since most, if not all of the HFR players can handle 500Mbs...I'm not sure on the Showvault/IMB since they only onte 48fps capability and not 60fps.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-06-2016 04:31 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed the same different filesize per content of the approximate time duration where one file can be less than a 100g and the next file be almost 130g within a 5 min runtime frame.

Could be the encoding files for: CCAP, HI, VI, and dBox.

Plus, we have IOP and SMPTE involved with this also-how the file is produced along with extra PKL folders within the DCP that could increase the filesize.

Jonathan Jensen
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2016 06:21 AM      Profile for Jonathan Jensen   Email Jonathan Jensen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Steve: I have successfully played back 60fps 2K 3D DCP's on the Doremi IMB/Showvault (single flash on MasterImage 2100R).
The DCP was 250mbit though.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-06-2016 11:50 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's useless to compare effective sizes of DCPs to judge on data rate vs. quality. There are different J2K encoders with VERY different data rate control capabilities.

E.g. the (outphased) Dolby Mastering System (SCC2000) is able to create extremely small DCPs while maintaining very high quality, while the common OpenJPEG J2K wastes comparably much space (it is only a reference implementation, but in no way optimized).

Also note that Flat DCPs contain a lot more pixels to encode. Even common 3D (twice the framerate of 2D DCPs) have the same J2K/DCP bandwidth limit.

However, a bandwidth limit does not mean it has to be maxed out for every DCP. Most DCPs stay way below that limit for various reasons. One reason is that the compression rate is content related. If you have a lot of soft focus, or dark scenes, or very clean animation footage, these will usually compress a lot better than very crisp or noisy footage.

- Carsten

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-06-2016 12:41 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a lot of differences in how DCPs are encoded and philosophies on the process tend to change from one studio to the next. I've seen normal 2 hour 2D 2K DCP movie files from studios like Paramount that weigh over 200GB while a feature of the same resolution and run time from Warner Bros. would be less than 60GB in size.

I personally would prefer studios to use the ample hard disc capacity and bandwidth available to them rather than squeeze the damned movie file down to near consumer levels of quality. The image is only being shown on a screen a hell of a lot bigger than any living room TV set. Any obvious signs of compression artifacts will be plainly visible on a d-cinema projection system that is properly set up and correctly focused.

The encoding process should not be dumbed down to fit the lesser quality levels of many theaters that feature soft, slightly out of focus projection quality. I wonder if that's part of what is happening. "Good enough" standards of practice infect a lot of aspects of this "DIGITAL!" thing. I can watch "good enough digital" quality at home far easier for a whole lot less money.

quote: Marco Giustini
However, JPEG2000 is not MPEG2. It's very efficient and many people are questioning whether you really need all 250Mbit/s to achieve a perfectly acceptable picture on your screen.
JPEG2000 may be efficient in some ways, but it's very inefficient compared to true video codecs in other ways. Inter-frame compression is supposedly not allowed for DCP use. Every movie frame in a DCP is supposed to be a separate, discrete image. Video codecs like MPEG-2 and more advanced versions (AVC, HEVC, etc.) often encode partial images from one frame to the next to save a great deal of bandwidth and disc capacity. Each frame in a DCP is supposed to use no more than 3 transform blocks per frame; consumer video can use as many blocks as needed.

When a 2K DCP gets down to around the 60GB level or even less its imagery may not compare so favorably to an AVC encoded Blu-ray disc or HEVC encoded Ultra-HD Blu-ray.

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2016 05:10 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else notice they put a 7.1 file for War Dogs on the Sully sheet? [Eek!]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-06-2016 05:16 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sully is also in ATMOS which 7.1 content will work for this Dolby format.

Edward Summerhays
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2016 08:07 PM      Profile for Edward Summerhays   Email Edward Summerhays   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your replies. Some good info on the way DCPs are compiled.

It is interesting that the distributor wouldn't utilize the disc space, especially at 4K. The way I see it is a 4K film at 1.5 hours would have the same amount of video information stored as a 2K movie with a running length of 6 hours! Dividing Sully's bitrate by four, to compare to a 2K bitrate, brings it's bitrate to barely higher than blu-ray.

Of course, a higher pixel density would mean the viewer would have to half their viewing distance to see the same pixel density as a 2K feature, thus, compression less evident from their regular viewing distance.

As Bobby said, it there is a lot of temptation at the 'good enough' attitude with digital. I have noticed a lot recently films which have a 4K workflow, received a 2K DCP, because the viewer doesn't demand higher quality.
It baffles me more than some films have a 2K DCP created from a 4K master, as the additional resolution "isn't necessary" for cinema, but UHD blu-ray receives the true 4K master. The higher resolution would be far more beneficial at the cinema rather than on a 65" TV, and if the cinema has a 4K projector ready to go, then why not? I guess that's another topic all together though!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-06-2016 08:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Examples of recent releases in minutes and filesize:

Mechanic: 98m 81g
Morgan: 91m 126g
Pets: 90m 103g
Wild Life: 93m 94g
Breathe: 88m 109g

All 2k content

Probably how all was processed.

We have two, 4k DLP houses with the rest at 2K

Only file that really ate up disc space was the HFR releases of the Hobbit series, with the 3D versions larger than the 2D versions.

-Monte
-Monte

Edward Summerhays
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2016 09:31 PM      Profile for Edward Summerhays   Email Edward Summerhays   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mechanic is 4K, according to this http://digitalcinema.bydeluxe.com/site/dlxportal/docs/Mechanic_Ressurrection_-_US_Release_-_DTDC.pdf

Rest are 2K

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 09-06-2016 09:54 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Edward Summerhays
I have noticed a lot recently films which have a 4K workflow, received a 2K DCP, because the viewer doesn't demand higher quality. It baffles me more than some films have a 2K DCP created from a 4K master, as the additional resolution "isn't necessary" for cinema, but UHD blu-ray receives the true 4K master. The higher resolution would be far more beneficial at the cinema rather than on a 65" TV, and if the cinema has a 4K projector ready to go, then why not? I guess that's another topic all together though!
Actually the new Ultra HD Blu-ray format is dealing with a good amount of controversy due to what I call "Fake 4K" on many of the discs. The HEVC encoded video on those discs came from a 2K source. Not 4K. The video quality might be marginally better than a regular 1080p Blu-ray due to higher video bit rates and a more efficient video codec. But it's not the big leap in quality you would see with native 4K resolution content being shown rathern than 2K source material.

I think every single movie on Ultra-HD Blu-ray that had a 3D DCP version in theaters is fake 4K. The stuff is rendered in 2K and blown up to 4K.

Basically it's "buyer beware." Read a lot of reviews and find out the fine print on any movie you buy on Ultra-HD Blu-ray.

Paul H. Rayton
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2016 10:00 PM      Profile for Paul H. Rayton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many members on here have actual mastering experience (creating DCPs), using DCP-O-Matic. That includes me. We have the option, in the program, for setting the master bitrate, from as low as we want to as high as 250mB/sec. for 2K DCPs. The same would apply to any studio mastering their commercial title. Why some of them choose to go at low bitrates bothers the crap out of me because, for crying out loud, you get the damn hard drive back when the shows are done, and you can erase it and use it for some other other show. So why "gyp" the audiences with low bitrates for a movie? I don't get it! You're saving a few electrons, but you get them back!

Edward Summerhays
Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2016 11:49 PM      Profile for Edward Summerhays   Email Edward Summerhays   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote Bobby Henderson
Actually the new Ultra HD Blu-ray format is dealing with a good amount of controversy due to what I call "Fake 4K" on many of the discs.

Yes, this is the main reason I am in no rush for 4K at home.

I will eventually come on board with 4K at home, but only once the price of 4K home projectors drop, and more true 4K titles are released.

I won't buy any UHD title that came from a 2K DI. And seeing as most of the titles released are modern titles sourced from a 2K, there is really no point!

Christopher Nolan's (ano other film makers) concerns on the limitations of digital are being validated now, with these fake 4K titles.

A movie from 50 years ago can be transferred to 4K, but a film from last year is stuck in 2K forever.

To find out if a film is truly 4K before going to the movies, I generally try to see the DCP title sheet so verify. I'll sit closer to the screen if it's a 4K DCP. This will come in handy for purchasing UHD blu-ray discs. If it's a 2K DI, might as well stick to standard blu-ray.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: