Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Need advice for building my own Digital Cinema theater. folks

Author Topic: Need advice for building my own Digital Cinema theater. folks
Osama Yazn
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2016 02:38 AM      Profile for Osama Yazn   Email Osama Yazn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello for all Film-Tech community

I am building my first DC theater and i need advice form the heroes here

i need to buy a system that support 2k neither 4k nor 3D i will need for this theater, but working like any other DC theater and can play encrypted and unencrypted DCP's.
i have been thinking about Qube XP-D or GDC SX2000IMB as they are the cheapest with the required specifications. what do you think about them guys.
also, for about how much can i get Qube XP-D or GDC SX2000IMB?
and how much may this theater cost in your opinion?

Thanks alot for caring

Osama

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-05-2016 04:04 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How big will your screen be?

- Carsten

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-05-2016 04:13 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GDC SX2000IMB is a stable system being a full size server and the IMB card is practically bulletproof.
Works with all makes of digital projectors.
Stay away from Qube - it's on the way out, for a lot of cinemas are removing Cube and replacing them with either GDC or Dolby.

True though, what size of screen you planning on putting up and this will determine a good close cost of what is needed.

Good luck - Monte

Osama Yazn
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2016 05:39 AM      Profile for Osama Yazn   Email Osama Yazn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My screen is around 10-12m it's a small theater
btw i have seen people using non DC projector in their theaters is that even working with server? like NEC 6000 lumens home use projector how about that can i even work with servers?

Why Mr Monte is Qube server bad ?

thanks
Osama

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-05-2016 05:46 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A software player or non-DCI compliant server will not be able to play encrypted content from the major studios. I don't know about the distribution reality in the arab emirates, but if you want to operate a commercial cinema for paying customers, you probably need a full DCI compliant system. No software player solution is DCI compliant, even if they claim to be able to play encrypted content - you will not receive Keys for current cinema content if you use a software player.

- Carsten

Osama Yazn
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2016 06:01 AM      Profile for Osama Yazn   Email Osama Yazn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Carsten

i think u misunderstood me i am talking about non DCI projector not server i think GDC SX2000IMB or qube XP-D are DCI server aren't they?

Osama

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-05-2016 06:09 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can mix DCI compliant servers and projectors and home cinema gear. But both projector AND server will have to be DCI compliant in order to play commercial encrypted content. Also, you won't be able to get enough light on a 10-12 meter screen from a home cinema projector. Don't know about pricing in your area, but the cheapest entry into DCI currently would be a Barco DP2K-6E or NEC NC900, both with an integrated server. Around 25.000US$.
Even these are a bit underpowered for a 10-12m screen. Especially if you also want 3D.

- Carsten

Osama Yazn
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2016 08:05 AM      Profile for Osama Yazn   Email Osama Yazn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Carsten,

If the server is DCI but the projector is not i think i can play the content if i am distributing my own DCP without adding the projector to the trusted devices list right?
there's also NEC home projectors that are 8000 lumens NP PX800X2 will that work with DCI server you think?
and no i will never need 3D neither 4k in that theater

Best Osama

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-05-2016 10:58 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stay away from Qube what ever you do!! GDC has the best Tech support of the server companies and they offer reasonable full warranty extension after the initial three year warranty period is up. NEC projectors have been the most reliable around the Mountain States for me and our climate is very dry like yours is. You might consider spending a bit more and going with one of their laser light projectors.

Mark

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-05-2016 11:11 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Osama Yazn
If the server is DCI but the projector is not i think i can play the content if i am distributing my own DCP without adding the projector to the trusted devices list right?
there's also NEC home projectors that are 8000 lumens NP PX800X2 will that work with DCI server you think?

I guess I don't understand your business model. If you want to play your own content, you don't need any DCI stuff, any projector and MP4 media player will do.

The PX800X2 is an 8000 lumen XGA presentation device. It does not have the resolution to call it 'cinema'.

If you don't need/want to play commercial encrypted DCP content, no need to buy DCI equipment.

- Carsten

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-05-2016 11:40 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carsetn,

He said he wants to be able to play both encrypted and non encrypted material. So he is going to need DCI approved gear for this.

Mark

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2016 03:45 PM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Osama Yazn
If I'm getting your question right: no, you can't. DCI servers only work with DCI projectors even when showing unencrypted content.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-05-2016 05:10 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you can still disable the encryption on a Dolby Server and play unencrypted content. DCI software has limited the encryption to Cinelink-II but I believe the 'OFF' parameter is still available.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 09-05-2016 07:53 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The simple answer is NO. You can not play encrypted cinema content on any home/office projector. They must be secure projectors. Only digital cinema projectors have the security enclosure and tamper switches.
You can buy equivalent "large venue" A/V projectors with the same light engine and electronics as the cinema model: they do not have the security enclosure around the light engine and electronics and can't marry cinema input cards with link decryptors, IMBs, or IMS/ICMP servers.
Some servers can do non-encrypted playback to an A/V projector, but it's just a ridiculously expensive media player if you don't have a cinema projector.

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-06-2016 04:17 AM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Dave Macaulay
but it's just a ridiculously expensive media player if you don't have a cinema projector
And even then, a professional rental/staging projector with full working SMPTE372M inputs (I don't think HD-SDI to HDMI converters support 4:4:4 signals, but I could be wrong), somehow capable of approximating P3 and 14ftL on a 12m screen could very well turn out to be more expensive than the equivalent DCI machine.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: