Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Unable to Upload Content to Sony Project (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Unable to Upload Content to Sony Project
Emma O'Leary
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2016 07:10 PM      Profile for Emma O'Leary   Email Emma O'Leary   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi! I work at a small art house and for at least a year the projectionists have been unable to upload content directly from the computer to the just ONE of the projectors. On all of the other projectors there is no problem sending information to them from the computer. However, on this one projector we can only ingest hard drives locally, although we are able to upload keys and delete content from the computer.
Despite asking upper management on multiple occasions to send someone with better knowledge to help fix what we've been told is a hard wiring issue, we've received no help. We've also tried contacting Sony, but with no avail. Is there anyone here that has encountered this problem and knows where the disconnect is and how it can be fixed?

Other information:
The projector model is a Sony SRX-R320

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 09-05-2016 04:32 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Emma,

I guess there is little chance we can help from here. The LMT300 in the Sony 320 is a bit more complex to set up for network operations.

You probably need to find an integrator with some knowledge to fix this. Or have a local IT guy make himself familiar with it. Do you have all the manuals for the Sony? Who installed this system initially?

- Carsten

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-06-2016 05:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why Sony is bailing out of the cinema business. That LMT300 system is so proprietary..

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2016 01:24 PM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The LMT-300 does not have an FTP server.
That means that no FTP ingest can be achieved remotely, in the fashion it can be done with dolby, doremi, alchemy, XDC, the Sony 500 series and so on.

What can be done, since version 1.7 of the LMT, is to create a shared folder and register it with the server (Settings>Folders via the SMS Controller), so it can ingest, as much as export, content from and to it.

On the server side, one would need user permissions to alternate the folders settings and the SMS Controller.

Is it possible?
If yes, I think that is your solution.

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-10-2016 04:19 PM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, you should really stop to talk bulls**t like that. Or you name your sources. Thanks.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-11-2016 05:17 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Read that Sony is dropping the SRXR320 unit for the more compact SRX-R515P, and the smaller SRX-R510P that uses the SXRD display and uses the high pressure mercury lamp modules.

Looks like the change is happening in Europe for the time being.

www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/digital-cinema.../srx-r320/overview

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-11-2016 05:21 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,
That does not mean 'bailing out' to me. They are simply going on with the technology. Have you seen the 51x series and what a dual stack can do?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-11-2016 09:16 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony should bail out of the projector line completely. They are nothing but piles of shit.

Mark

Sascha F. Roll
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2016 09:52 AM      Profile for Sascha F. Roll   Email Sascha F. Roll   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you should tell my costumers with R51x projectors (>60 that i personally take care of, there are a lot more installed by other companies), which are in general very happy with the quality and reliability of the machines.

Plus with the XCT-S10 server I never had ONE software update thst introduced serious bugs. It's just working.

And FYI: A super low-contrast NEC NC900 with the ''uber-reliable" Lens Shift / Focus is about 27.000-29.000 € in germany. You can get a SRX-R510 for 33.000 €. 4k, higher contrast, better lens, 'real server' with CRU/USB3, reliable. It's just a huge machine.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-11-2016 09:55 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As compared to what? A Christie Duo system or any of the RGB laser systems using DLP?

Oddly enough, I'd think Sony would have wanted to jump on lasers first since that technology really helps LCoS but no, Sony has gone back to using multiple A/V projector lamps and wow...6 of them!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-11-2016 09:56 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sony's are still awful systems no matter what angle you look at them from. Wait till your customers have to have the imaging chips replaced and then tell me how much they actually like them. The imaging chips all eventually turn to toast starting with the green chip. And absolute black in a theater is completely meaningless since there is so much stray light from aisle lighting and exit signs that are required for safety that you can never achieve absolute black anyway. Oh... and don't forget the light scatter factor caused by the screen itself. Keep on dreaming though... I have no doubt your intentions are good.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-11-2016 12:11 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
And absolute black in a theater is completely meaningless since there is so much stray light from aisle lighting and exit signs that are required for safety that you can never achieve absolute black anyway.
8000:1 is not absolute black. Is blacker than 1600:1.

You have clearly never seen a 51x in action in a cinema.

You may like them or not but you cannot dispute the facts. What Sascha says is spot on. They are reliable, provide excellent picture and they simply do what they say. The engine requires a little more maintenance but nothing terrible.

Never heard of issues with the green chip - or with any chips to be honest.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-11-2016 01:32 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marco, It's nothing to do with what the projector can do. In this case stray light in the theater determines the actual black level capability of the system. And you have to factor in light scatter from the screen itself. So Sony's ability to do absolute black is actually pretty pointless when you take in the big picture, because there is never going to be absolute black on the screen. Also, have seen enough brownish colored images out of Sony projectors due to fried lcos imagers around here to never want go back to those sites again. In fact when AMC took on Sony they got extra imagers for each projector that was installed included as part of the deal. Not like AMC is actually giving all their locations any top notch service...

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-11-2016 02:22 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see your point but you keep saying "absolute black". We are not talking about absolute black here. And 8000:1 is very noticeable in a theatre.

As I said, you never seen them in action - or if you have, you were distracted!

Ioannis Syrogiannis
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2016 02:25 PM      Profile for Ioannis Syrogiannis   Email Ioannis Syrogiannis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
O.K. I couldn't keep being on topic, I had to write about irrelevant issues too.
Without wanting to be a Sony's defender here, I don't want to propose Sony as having better image than other vendors out there, especialy due to better lens:

There is a merrit of truth on what Mark is writing about, regarding high tempratures on the light engine on Sony 320s.
Yet, in the 500 series' LPD unit, the blue colour went up and got a UV cut filter.
That issue is not noted to be as serious as it was on the 320 series.

Recently, a new kind of air filters were introduced.
I realy hope that they will reduce the problem of filter contamination with dust, that is more frequent, yet less serious in terms of cost of maintenance.

Regardless of which company we think wears the crown of the best screening, we can safely assume that Sony is not bailing out the cinema business.

Emma, if you 'd like, let us know if and how you solved the problem.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: