Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC NC800c touch screen controller.

Author Topic: NEC NC800c touch screen controller.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-01-2016 05:46 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some time we have been having a problem with our our TSC. The problem is that the display is too large, and shifted to the right by about 27 mm, so some of the content is lost from the bottom and right side of the display. This used to happen occasionally, but could usually be cleared by powering it down and on again. Eventually it became just about permanent, so when it did power up correctly one day I just started leaving it powered up all the time. This worked for several months, as once it is working correctly it continues to do so until switched off.

A couple of weeks ago it crashed, so I had to re-start it, and haven't been able to get it to work properly since. This isn't a major problem; the main thing it is used for is to strike the lamp, and just check that the projector switches to a different format when it should. I can still adjust the lamp current when necessary, and can monitor the lamp hours used on the display on the side of the projector, but cannot see the estimated hours remaining, which I want to do as we are coming towards the end of the lamp; should see us through to the end of the year as we only operate part time. Is there another way to see this?

All of our projectionists know of seven other ways to strike the lamp:

Control panel on side of projector
Remote control
Tap on screen in position where button should be!
Connect mouse and click where button actually is. (This only works if the button has not disappeared off the screen of course, but the 'On' button is visible).
Macro execution tool on server.
Button on Control tab in Cinelister (Probably the easiest)

The chances of none of those working is just about nil, so this is never going to stop us running a show, but I would be nice to have it working again.

I spoke to our AAM engineer about this at the last service call. He says that the problem is known about, but cannot be fixed. The two options he suggested were to either replace the TSC (expensive) or to replace it with a small laptop running the normal Windows version of the software which runs on the TSC. This is his recommended option, but we already have a lot of 'junk' on and around the projector, all of it necessary, so I don't really want to add anything else.

Does anybody else have this problem, and have managed to fix it somehow? If it sometimes works then it surely cannot be anything major, a dry joint or failing capacitor maybe?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-01-2016 07:50 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
get a small windows tablet and mount it on the machine

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2016 08:17 AM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I can't help you, the TSC on my NC2500S stopped working as well (powers up but screen stays dark) and everybody including NEC suggested we just get a wireless Windows controller. Could be something relatively simple like a faulty LVDS connection to the LCD, but we never really tried to fix it.

I ended up getting a HP Stream 7 tablet for around 90 Euros, but we rarely use it: at this point our daily operations happen mainly via Cinelister. It's very useful to fine-tune focus/shift/zoom and screen files while standing directly in front of the screen, though.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: