Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » DCP-o-Matic and "part time" subtitles

Author Topic: DCP-o-Matic and "part time" subtitles
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-28-2016 01:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to convert a movie from Blu-Ray that has subtitles in only a few scenes where the characters don't speak English - but the subtitles don't show up on the resulting DCP. If I click the "Use subtitles" box in DCP-o-Matic, of course I get subtitles all the time.

I assume this is because the part-time subtitles are on the blu-ray in various languages...how can I get those part-time English subtitles to show up in the DCP?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-28-2016 01:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
You would have to select the correct caption track. Assuming you are ripping with MakeMKV, there are options to only select "forced English" subtitles. You may end up with a few different subtitle tracks, but you would just have to preview it within DOM before making the DCP and see which track gave you what you wanted.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-28-2016 02:32 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Brad says, there is probably a different English hard-of-hearing subtitle track and a "translate the foreign dialogue only" subtitle track: the trick is to rip the BD such that you only take the subtitle track you want into the file that you then import into DCP-o-Matic.

I have the full version of DVDFab, which makes doing this very easy and straightforward, but couldn't advise on any free options - sorry.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-28-2016 04:55 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MakeMKV allows to choose between subs and forced subs - try the forced subs, or select a different subtile track.

- carsten

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-28-2016 09:20 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the list that comes up in MakeMKV -- I have not changed any of the settings from when I created the first DCP (which rendered without the subtitles). It looks like all the "forced" options are checked...so apparently I need to uncheck something? Or is there something else I'm missing? A setting on DOM maybe?

-

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-28-2016 09:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
DOM has a drop down menu to select which subtitle stream you need. Start it playing during a dialogue scene and keep going down the list one by one until you find one that DOESN'T have regular dialogue subtitles displaying on the preview window.

Then you have to find out if it is just a subtitle stream of occasional dumb "director/cast/crew commentary" subtitles or actual subtitles that would've been burned into a film print, so be prepared to skip around the movie for quite a bit in the preview window.

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-28-2016 11:56 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I think the subtitle box you should check is the PGS English (Forced Only) and uncheck the other english ones.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-30-2016 02:29 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, I got it figured out.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: