Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Dolby Cinema at AMC Installs Accelerated (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dolby Cinema at AMC Installs Accelerated
Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-19-2016 03:05 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby and AMC are dramatically speeding up the pace of Dolby Cinema installations at AMC locations. The original 100 screen order was supposed to take 10 years to install. Now it will be finished by the end of 2017. As many of 50 systems may be operational before the end of this year. AMC may install another 100 systems after completing this order.

Press Release at DCinemaToday

quote: Dolby Press Release at DCinemaToday
In response to impressive guest reaction and the overwhelming success of Dolby Cinema at AMC in its first full year, Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE: DLB) and AMC Theatres (NYSE: AMC) today announced plans to accelerate Dolby Cinema™ at AMC installations to 100 operational sites by the end of 2017, seven years ahead of the originally announced schedule. The original agreement, reached in 2015, was for 100 auditoriums over a 10-year deployment.

In addition, AMC and Dolby are collaborating on expansion plans to increase the amount of Dolby Cinema at AMC locations beyond the initial 100.

To date, 22 Dolby Cinema at AMC locations are open around the country, earning rave reviews from guests. Eight more locations are currently under construction and approximately 50 are expected to be open by the end of this year.

“The popularity and success of Dolby Cinema at AMC led to its expansion at an accelerated rate, with 22 locations already open and a few dozen more planned for 2016,” said John McDonald, Executive Vice President, U.S. Operations, AMC. “It’s clear that our guests enjoy the premium audio, vibrant contrast and color, and the incredible comfort of the plush, power recliners at Dolby Cinema at AMC, and with this announcement, we’re thrilled that more guests than ever will have access to this incredible experience.”

“Dolby Cinema has clearly become a preferred cinema experience of consumers, and we look forward to offering the best films to more AMC guests with the most spectacular image, immersive sound technologies and inspired design at Dolby Cinema at AMC,” said Doug Darrow, Senior Vice President, Cinema Business Group, Dolby Laboratories. “Today’s announcement of the expedited expansion of Dolby Cinema at AMC theatres is a direct result of the incredibly enthusiastic responses we have received from consumers nationwide.”

Since its launch in spring of 2015, more than one million Dolby Cinema at AMC moviegoers have experienced Hollywood movies from a variety of genres, including action, drama, science-fiction and fantasy. With support from all major Hollywood studios, 50 Dolby Cinema titles have been released or announced. Recent and upcoming titles this year include Warner Bros. Pictures’ Suicide Squad, Disney's Pete's Dragon, LAIKA and Focus Features’ Kubo and the Two Strings, Paramount Pictures’ Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, Marvel's Doctor Strange, Sony Pictures’ Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, Warner Bros. Pictures’ Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Disney's Moana, Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Warner Bros. Pictures’ Wonder Woman and Disney•Pixar's Cars 3.

Dolby Cinema at AMC includes award-winning technologies Dolby Vision™ and Dolby Atmos®. The Dolby Vision laser projection system delivers high dynamic range with enhanced color technology that produces incredible blacks and a contrast ratio that far exceeds any other image technology on the market today. The result is a richer, more detailed viewing experience that delivers strikingly vivid and realistic images that make audiences feel like they are in the movie’s world. Dolby Atmos moves audio around the theatre, even overhead, with amazing richness and depth. The lifelike sounds of music, people and things flow all around the theatre in sync with the action to create a more immersive and moving experience.

The inspiration for design elements came out of the desire to achieve technically superior sight and sound capabilities for all Dolby Cinema at AMC locations. The design of the cinema itself has been created to set a mood and draw audiences deeper into the story. Through the Dolby technology, combined with the ultimate comfort and experience of the AMC power, reserved recliners with seat transducers, guests will feel closer than ever to the action on screen.

Current Dolby Cinema at AMC Locations

Arizona
AMC Desert Ridge 18 (Phoenix)
AMC Mesa Grand 24 (Mesa)

California
AMC Burbank 16 (Burbank)
AMC Century City 15 (Los Angeles)
AMC Del Amo 18 (Torrance)
AMC New Park 12 (Newark)
AMC Norwalk 20 (Norwalk)

Colorado
AMC Flatiron Crossing 14 (Broomfield)

Georgia
AMC North Point Mall 12 (Alpharetta)

Illinois
AMC Hawthorn 12 (Vernon Hills)

Kansas
AMC Town Center 20 (Leawood)

Missouri
AMC BarryWoods 24 (Kansas City)

Nevada
AMC Town Square 18 (Las Vegas)

New Jersey
AMC Garden State 16 (Paramus)

New York
AMC Empire 25 ( New York)

Texas
AMC Deerbrook 24 (Humble)
AMC NorthPark 15 (Dallas)
AMC Village on the Parkway 9 (Addison)
AMC Willowbrook 24 (Houston)

Virginia
AMC Hampton Towne Centre 24 (Hampton)
AMC Tysons Corner 16 (McLean)

Washington
AMC River Park Square 20 (Spokane)

AMC's Dolby Cinema web page lists 23 screens operational and another 11 locations with Dolby Cinema "coming soon."

I think this news is interesting from a couple of angles. I'm still wondering if other North American theater chains will start installing Dolby Cinema systems. Or does AMC have an exclusive deal with Dolby on this thing? And what about IMAX? It's pretty clear their "IMAX with Laser" system is progressing on a far slower, glacial pace. They have no mention of laser at their web site; or it's just hidden from view.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 08-19-2016 03:52 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah... the slow pace is puzzling. 100 screens in 10 years? That's ten per year. How many of us have installed ten theaters, single handedly, in a week?

You can't claim that it's an expense issue. That kind of money should be pocket change to a company like AMC.
(Okay, that's hyperbole but I think you understand what I mean. AMC can afford to invest capital over a shorter time than ten years.)

So, what is it? Dolby's inability to supply product/equipment? A lack of capable installers? (Why haven't they called me? I'm looking for work!) Lack of public awareness? Poor marketing?

It just seems odd when a company drags its feet on something like this, for so long, then, suddenly, trumpets its "new" strategy as if it was a big, breakthrough innovation.

You'd think that, if they just went forward with the plan at a reasonable pace, from the start, they'd already be well on the way to having Dolby Cinema in theaters already... AND making money from it.

The only thing that I can think of is that they didn't think Dolby Cinema would fly and that they wouldn't recoup their investment with a like amount of increased sales/revenue.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-19-2016 05:27 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, AMC originally low-balled their installation pace to 100 Dolby Cinema screens out over 10 years. Dolby and AMC are already far ahead of that pace. The press release said they are moving to complete installation of the first 100 Dolby Cinema screens by the end of next year and then add more Dolby Cinema screens after that.

I don't know the price tag of the dual 4K laser projection system and Dolby Atmos sound system Dolby and AMC are putting in these theaters (among the other ammenities). I imagine it has to cost quite a lot more than what goes into the average fake large format digital premium screen theater.

One thing I wonder about is how many technicians and construction people are working on these installations. There's only so many of these systems they can install at once. AMC has already coverered the "easy" installation, converting previous Prime and ETX houses over to this AMC-flavored version of Dolby Cinema. Meanwhile the Wanda Group is ramping up Dolby Cinema installs over in China.

The real puzzling thing to me is what's going on at IMAX. They were hyping their dual 4K laser system pretty strongly last year. Now they're almost silent about it. 16 months after launch there's only 7 systems installed in North America, mainly retrofits of previously film-based IMAX theaters.

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 08-23-2016 06:46 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only hope that AMC isn't skimping out on the quality of the sound equipment or the tuning of said equipment. Anyone have any reports from either the Empire or Paramus locations?

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2016 07:22 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in the AMC Paramus Dolby Vision auditorium (screen #3, former Atmos screen) twice, and I don't see myself going back. It's comfortable and has a big screen and all, but there are two issues here that make me crazy, besides that the recliners make me want to take a nap: there is a great deal of structural vibration going on with this house during the louder low frequency passages in the soundtrack. I couldn't quite tell what was rattling, but it seemed to be coming from the right rear along the wall. It's been a few months since I've been, and possibly whatever it is has been located and damped. I haven't been back to check because of the second issue, which to me is unforgivable: there is noticeable ambient red light hitting about the lower third of the screen, from somewhere beneath it. There is no masking at all on the screen, which makes it really stick out. It's not bright, mind you, but I see it, and once I notice it it's pretty much ALL I see, taking me right out of the movie. I've heard, but can't personally confirm, that the AMC Tysons Corners DV screen has this same issue.

A lot of folks used to bust chops about THX certification for screens, but as I recall the specifications, both acoustic rumble and stray light on the screen were right out.

Aron Toplitsky
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-23-2016 10:58 PM      Profile for Aron Toplitsky   Email Aron Toplitsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was only three weeks ago when noticed AMC’s site posted that my local theater AMC Del Amo 18, would be getting Dolby Cinema. I figured it would take months and next thing I know it has its debut with Suicide Squad. I was quite surprised by how quick this installation was. I thought the presentation was pretty darn good except for the common width screen. Oh well you can’t have it all I guess.

Mark,

I’ve experienced the same structural vibration during low frequency moments at the AMC Century City 15 in Los Angeles. It’s usually during the louder more powerful passages. I contacted Dolby twice about this, left them my email and of course, never heard back. I figured after the first email they would take action, but noticed after seeing another film there several months later, the problem wasn’t addressed. This was not an issue when it was an ETX Dolby Atmos. Something happened after the change over to Dolby Cinema. I’ve explained to them how distracting it can be. Personally I feel there is no excuse for any of these distractions!

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2016 12:35 AM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same 3 major issues at both Kansas City Dolby Cinema screens. (Leawood 20, Barrywoods 24)

It sounds like the entire drop ceiling grid and screen rigging shifts and rattles every time the bass hits. Extraordinarily distracting. It's all you hear in the heavy bass moments; everything in the room rattling. No pure bass. Just obscene rattling. You have to judge the amount of bass by the intensity of the rattling rather than the thump in your chest.

Both locations have bright red floor aisle lighting right under the corners of the screen that shines up on both sides of the screen, and as has been mentioned, once you notice it(notably in the Dolby Cinema snipe before the movie where they are trying to show off a true black screen and all you see is red), you can't get away from it. Every dark scene is now red.

Common width, maskingless screens just look awful. It helps that it's a near true black and you can't see the letter-boxed edge all the time, but in every other scene it's just that much more glaring that it's trying to be a premium experience that someone cheaped out on, which is truly unacceptable considering tickets are just under $20 a pop now.

It's still a better experience than the "base model" auditoriums, but indeed lacks the full punch to make it truly spectacular.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2016 07:58 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you have to consider the multiplex as a whole when deciding if you are getting a better experience with the whole Dolby Vision thing. The AMC Garden State is a very well maintained theatre in a high rolling, high traffic upscale shopping mall. They are pretty meticulous about things there, in fact, when Christie was putting in the DV, I talked for a few minutes with one of their techs, he told me that they were hanging around a few more days to rip out the Sony machines on the other screens and put in their own, the reason being that nobody was happy with the Sonys, especially with some issues about 3D.

So when I went to see Star Trek Beyond, knowing what I know about screen #3, I opted to NOT pay the $25.00 for the whole 3D Dolby Vision thing and instead saw it in 2D in a smaller house. And honestly, it was about as perfect a technical presentation as you could have hoped for, a bright, razor sharp, perfectly masked show with excellent sound. It didn't quite have the bigger screen or the audio bombast that the DV show would have had, but it didn't have the rattle and stray light either, and frankly, at this point in my movie-going life all of that other stuff doesn't matter too much to me anyway. So I saw a perfect presentation for only $8.00, and I think I came out ahead.

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2016 02:49 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't notice any red glow on the screen at the AMC Hawthorn 12 in Vernon Hills, IL when I saw The Force Awakens there in December, but most of the image was slightly out of focus. The sound was very impressive; probably the best I've heard in a theater in quite some time.

While not part of the presentation, another aspect of this theater was very disappointing and it detracted from the experience. The lobby area was filthy with popcorn, napkins, straw wrappers, etc. laying all over the floor.

See photos from my visit

One could excuse this to them being busy and not having a chance to clean up after a sudden rush of people, but three hours later, the messes still were not cleaned up. This shows a lack of showmanship and care by the employees, and it tarnishes the AMC brand. Even the auditorium was messy, so it would appear the staff is consistent in their lack of cleaning skills.

$18.50 for that? No thanks!

Would you guys be willing to post your experiences on our Reader Comments pages for the theaters you went to? If AMC/Dolby aren't going to respond, at least the issues can be put out in the open for others to see. Perhaps that will apply some extra pressure on them to improve their presentations and other aspects.

Here are my comments that I left after my visit:
Reader Comments page for AMC Hawthorn 12

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-24-2016 03:25 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does installing this Dolby system entail replacing the subs or are these tuning issues? Does anyone know if AMC is using a larger third party contractor like Strong Technical Services (NCS) or is Dolby or AMC using its own techs?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-25-2016 12:51 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the extremely high ticket prices AMC is charging I really don't see any excuse for these Dolby Cinema auditoriums having issues like structural vibration and light contamination from red LEDs affecting the screen. That's a bunch of bullshit. Are the Dolby guys or whoever is installing this Dolby Cinema gear doing a proper quality control check on the setup once the install is complete?

For a ticket costing upwards of $20 or even more the image quality and sound quality both should be absolutely outstanding. Nothing less than that. The same goes for cleanliness of auditoriums, control of lighting from various decorative features, etc. All of that stuff contributes to showmanship. I guess the "deciders" paying for this stuff and looking at their quarterly spreadsheets don't quite comprehend those concepts. Or they just think the general public is a bunch of idiots who will fork over money for anything, like all these unmasked common width screens.
[Roll Eyes]

I've heard more than a few complaints just here in Lawton regarding the IMAX-branded screen at the new Carmike theater. Some people are willing to drop $18.50 on an evening ticket to see a 2K movie in 3D. Most find the ticket price outrageous. I think it emboldens more people to watch at home.

quote: Buck Wilson
It sounds like the entire drop ceiling grid and screen rigging shifts and rattles every time the bass hits. Extraordinarily distracting. It's all you hear in the heavy bass moments; everything in the room rattling. No pure bass. Just obscene rattling. You have to judge the amount of bass by the intensity of the rattling rather than the thump in your chest.
I haven't been in one of these Dolby Cinema-branded AMC auditoriums yet. But from images I've seen of them and their "Prime" counterparts that preceeded them it looks like AMC has the sub-bass surround speakers mounted directly to the ceiling. That could be what is vibrating the hell out of the drop ceiling grid.

One other thing that can cause loud rattling is improperly adjusted surround speakers. When our old Carmike theater first opened the DTS systems in the two THX houses were not properly setup. Sub-bass audio was left in the surrounds rather than directed to the sub-bass channel. The result: the speaker drivers were over-driving badly and rattling against the speaker grilles.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-25-2016 07:55 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This makes no sense, and reflects very badly on Dolby Cinema branding. They make a VERY big deal about their system's extended dynamic range. Having ambient light on screen destroys that. The Vine cinema demo room is almost totally dark with a black image projected, huge difference from standard xenon DMD projectors. They have no ambient light onscreen.
Where is Dolby quality control? The "Dolby Cinema" brand is pretty much worthless unless the standards are enforced.
You can abuse Imax at will on many fronts... but their standards are pretty well enforced.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-25-2016 11:03 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes - the Tyson's location DOES have ambient red light bouncing back onto the screen at the lower left / right hand corners of the bottom of the screen. Dolby drops the screen to nearly floor level, adds red lighting all along the steps and walls and what happens it just goes straight back onto the screen - they can't undo it, or reduce it because it's Virginia safety code to have lights illuminating the steps. This completely ruined 'Batman vs Superman' with it's many dark scenes.

Sound also seems mucked up. During 'Captain America: Civil War' and 'Finding Dory' - voices sound very sibilant, and in some very odd audio instances voices bled into the surrounds for no apparent reason. In my opinion, Arclight Bethesda's 'widescreen' screen's Dolby Atmos system is better balanced and acoustically superior calibrated sound.

I'm not a fan of the rumble seats, but during 'Kubo and the Two Strings' the seats didn't work at all - seems that the cleaning crew somehow extracted the power cord from the electrical outlet. For an improved screen, and it's barely half a year old, it's beginning to fall apart. the wall's foaming is scraping off. The console aren't well maintained - there was a sticky residue that wasn't wiped off ("ewwww").

Add to the fact that Dolby Cinema doesn't do 3D, I'm trekking more out to the Airbus Chantilly Air & Space IMAX-laser system to see movies (it's laser, it's 12-channel sound, it doesn't have 'rumble' seats, it's cheaper).

I don't have my hopes up for the Georgetown Dolby screen - I spoke to the manager over there on my thoughts on the Tyson's screen and mentioned the red light issue, and he was mortified and would look into how this could be prevented. Apparently a Facebook talk with another filmgoer noted: "Jonathan, I have been to 2 different ones, one in Texas and one in Arizona. Both had the red light washing out the screen".

For over twenty dollars a ticket, I don't see how Dolby can tout state of the art presentation when there are very apparent flaws.

question - are the DCP's that the projectors are ingesting specifically created by Dolby themselves - at 4K resolution, is this why most Dolby Cinema systems do not playback 3D content?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-26-2016 07:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolby Cinema should be able to play back 3D. They use a 6P laser system (3 primaries on each projector) with extra large glasses.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 08-26-2016 09:00 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought Dolby Cinema was able to show movies in 3D. Not just in 2K, but also able to show 4K 3D whenever the movie studios got around to doing 3D in better than HDTV resolution.

With movie studios still putting so much emphasis on 3D it would seem like a very backward move to push an expensive premium theater concept boasting laser projection and Atmos, but not be able to handle 3D.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: