Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Series 1 Christie Image Shift

Author Topic: Series 1 Christie Image Shift
Greg Routenburg
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2016 06:29 PM      Profile for Greg Routenburg   Email Greg Routenburg   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to temporarily install a Christie CP2000-ZX in an auditorium with Top Movable masking. The projector does not have a motorized lens mount. When I try and shift the image down on the panel for the scope setting, it won't allow the unused image area to drop off the bottom of the imager. It insists on scaling the picture. When I've done this on a Series 1 Barco, I can select both corners in the scaling section where you define the screen file and shift the whole image down, discarding the bottom of the picture. Is there an equivalent function in the Christie configuration that anyone is aware of? If not, how would one go about configuring the projector without the need for a manager to come up to the booth and manually move the lens for format changes?

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Morez
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2016 01:51 AM      Profile for Daniel Morez   Email Daniel Morez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is your SOURCE resolution set to?
What is your SCREEN resolution set to?

(As I recall for Christie Menu=> Advanced=> SOURCE and SCREEN File Setup)

Make sure your SOURCE resolution matches your input video's actively used resolution. For example 2K SCOPE would be 2048x858. If the SOURCE is set to Auto or its just set to full native resolution it wont allow you to shift any of the SOURCE pixels off of your defined SCREEN file resolution. I think as you found it just starts to scale down video on screen when it hits that "dont throw away pixels" threshold.

So if you define the SOURCE as 2048x858 and your SCREEN resolution to 2048x1080. You should be able to shift the on screen video down by about 111 pixels which would put it at the bottom of a 2K chip.

Also, whether or not your SCREEN file "Letter Boxing" mode is enabled or not you may need to also define your video area Aspect in your SCREEN file settings.

Hope this helps. Its been a while since Ive needed set a custom config like this. Plus I more accustom to the direct TI ICP software controls so pardon if menu names are off or if maybe Christie omits or locks out some of these controls.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-10-2016 06:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a Christie, they call it "Presentation" but it is the same as Barco's "Resizing". Christie used TI's naming, in fact.

So, in order to do what you desire (lower the entire image), you need to lower both "corners". It isn't as graphical as Barco's but it is the exact same thing (they are controlling the exact same TI boards). In fact, you can use a Barco PCF/Screen in a Christie (or NEC) and vice-versa. Christie or NEC even have a predefined scope screen file where the shift is already in there (I'm 99% certain that screen files are swappable between series 1 and series 2). So, if you are inclined to do this sort of thing (shift the image down on the imager rather than lens shift, and there is good reason to do so since a lens that doesn't move tends to stay in position better than one that does move), then it would be advisable to have a screen file with you that already has the resize/position as well as the scope masking already at the full scope dimensions so all you have to do is drop it in, tweak the masking portion and give it a new name.

Note too, the PCF or input file HAS to be for 2048x858 so the imager knows that it can do this shift. Also note, if the projector is off center laterally, you can center the image on scope laterally and tweak the FLAT image laterally also using the Resize/Presentation controls.

Daniel Morez
Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2016 01:26 PM      Profile for Daniel Morez   Email Daniel Morez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve for describing this much better.

As you clarified, it is the Screen file "Presentation" position controls where you justify the SOURCE Resolution position on screen. Not the SOURCE file xy offsets that I mentioned in my post. I've used those in the past I think for custom proxied input images. Something that would never or very rarely come from a cinema server.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2016 09:00 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can be done. I do it with a pair of ZXs for scope. The pair is for 2 projector 3D.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: