Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Distributors for 3D on DCP ?

Author Topic: Distributors for 3D on DCP ?
Dave Barber
Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2016 01:40 PM      Profile for Dave Barber   Email Dave Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a central information source in the US for distributors for older, classic, and independent films available on 3D in DCP ?
In other words, I am looking for unique titles...Not Commercial Hollywood films but more independent titles.

Can anyone steer me to a website or distributor (s) ? address ? phone ?
Much Thanks

Dave Barber

|  IP: Logged

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2016 09:49 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, if they weren't commercial Hollywood titles, they've probably never been scanned and converted to DCP. [Frown]

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2016 08:34 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know you can get Dial M for Murder in 3D from Warner's. I suspect House of Wax as well. I also suspect Creature from the Black Lagoon should be available.

Dave Barber
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2016 04:49 PM      Profile for Dave Barber   Email Dave Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Stephan

Derek Martin
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2016 07:40 AM      Profile for Derek Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Derek Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
TIFF has done a restoration of The Mask (aka Eyes of Hell).

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/10/19/canadas-first-3d-horror-gets-ready-to-scare-a-whole-new-generation

quote:
Canada's first 3D horror gets ready to scare a whole new generation

The Mask, an early Canadian horror movie released in the U.S. as Eyes of Hell, has been restored and reconstructed for public viewing. That makes it a minor miracle of film preservation as it opens at the TIFF Bell Lightbox on Friday for a limited release (with other cities to follow).

“I’m pretty thrilled — because it was out of mind and out of sight and maybe even lost,” says Jesse Wente, the programmer at the Toronto International Film Festival who supervised the two-year restoration. He presented the startlingly good results at TIFF in September. “This was not a movie that was on anyone’s radar!”

When Wente says “lost” he means that there were no complete prints of The Mask, which was made in Toronto in 1961 by Canadian director Julian Roffman, who died in 2000, aged 84. TIFF did have an incomplete archived print that was missing the movie’s critical prologue; the movie’s 3D sequences were also in rough condition. That version was shown once in 2011, but the overall print was so badly deteriorated it could never be run through a projector again.

But the 2011 screening, part of an audio-visual heritage day, was still a revelation. “We didn’t really know if anyone knew that this movie even existed,” Wente recalls. “Lo and behold, the show sold out and there was a whole crew of people who had brought their original 3D masks (from the 1960s). So there was definitely a cult following. That sparked the idea of a restoration, because TIFF is very much engaged in preserving and conserving motion picture history, especially when it comes to Canadian movies.”

The 3D gimmick is significant. The Mask contains three separate, surreal 3D sequences that begin whenever someone puts on the powerful tribal mask that gives the movie its title. Viewers simultaneously hold up their own 3D masks for the brief minutes each lurid colour-tinted sequence lasts. The rest of the movie is in 2D black-and-white.

The 3D effects make The Mask historically significant: It was the first time any filmmaker used 3D in a Canadian feature, albeit a decade after it became popular in Hollywood. The Mask is equally significant as Canada’s first horror feature, coming 16 years before David Cronenberg emerged with Rabid.

“It was made, of course, when there really wasn’t a commercial industry in English Canada,” Wente says. “Yet it is such a commercial product. And it jumbles the accepted timeline of Canadian movie history because it is such an outlier. We really just didn’t make movies like that at that time.”

The remarkable thing about The Mask — now that TIFF worked in partnership with Bob Furmanek’s 3D Film Archive in New Jersey to assemble the most complete version possible — is how entertaining the movie is today. It does not just look beautiful in its restoration. It is also genuinely scary, weird and engaging as it tells it story of how two men — one a scientist (Martin Lavut) and the other a psychiatrist (future soap star Paul Stevens) — are transformed into psycho-killers by the satanic properties of the mask.

Twitter: @Bruce_Kirkland

bruce.kirkland@sunmedia.ca

Dave Barber
Film Handler

- posted 08-15-2016 09:25 AM      Profile for Dave Barber   Email Dave Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Derek

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: