Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Cinelister for Doremi Server (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Cinelister for Doremi Server
Ananda Ayu
Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2016 05:31 AM      Profile for Ananda Ayu   Email Ananda Ayu   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Anyone,I would ask to all of u.
I want to make an apk cinelister for my tablet. Can I link Doremi Server's Cinrlister to my tablet??How about the connection?

Thank you [Smile] [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2016 07:38 AM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a WLAN access point, you can install a generic VNC app on your tablet (I suggest Screens if you are on iOS) and connect via Wi-Fi. It's password protected, but you can find the default one by googling it.

If your Doremi's software version is up-to-date, there is also a web interface that you can access via a standard mobile browser - still need a Wi-Fi connection, obviously. I personally cannot stand it and it's even less usable on a touch screen, but you could try it.

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 08-05-2016 05:55 AM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen the web interface included in the base software package (is it now?), and the optional package for v1.1.17 has been pulled from distribution. That version is now obsolete and has a few annoying bugs. I don't know if they will ever release updated versions, the webGUI is for the IMS servers and may not be easy to port to chassis servers?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-05-2016 06:42 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, the Web UI is still available from the US download site...it is carefully stored in the /IMS/Software/2.6.x (intuitive, isn't it? But that is sort of like the whole UI...if you can't master this the UI will likely defeat the average user anyway).

But yes, the WebGUI for the DCP/Showvault line is only "mostly functional" For instance, I created a new library file for the eCNA automation to add in functions that don't exist on the factory provided file (Macro, RDI and SENDFx triggers). They show up fine on the normal UI and they work fine on IMS WebUI...but the DCP WebUI...bzzzt...it sees the file but can't display it.

I have a site with four Doremi servers that were put in at different times so there is a DCP2K4, IMS1000s and an IMS2000. Having the WebUI on the DCP2K4, at least, provides a uniform user experience. It also would make interfacing on the phone as usable as the VNC...which is VERY weak on Doremi. Control panel icons, for instance, don't show up properly until one manually refreshes the screen. I've tried Ultra, Tight and Real VNCs all with the same shoddy VNC experience.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-05-2016 07:40 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am very disappointed with what Dolby is doing for the Doremi software. Really wondering what their strategy is...

- Carsten

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-05-2016 12:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really have no inside information on this one. I'm hoping that they are working on the UI and trying to port it over to a more Dolby like UI yet retain the configuration aspects of the Doremi product.

I know that there are those that really like the Doremi UI but honestly, I don't see why. It feels like a collection of disparate items forced to live under one roof. There is not a unified user experience, like with the Dolby DSS line. The Web UI, as ghastly as it is, at least has a bit of a unified experience.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-06-2016 06:32 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Carsten said.

I do not really understand. They've been developing the DSS series (according to Steve with even new functions which are not going to be used as ALL the systems have already been installed) and forsaking the DCP series completely.

I mean, the two servers (Doremi and DSS) still cannot talk to each other!!! I thought that would be priority ONE for Dolby - since an exhibitor cannot replace a DSS with a DSS - but apparently they have different priorities.

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2016 08:41 AM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly? I don't think they bought Doremi technology, for the simple reason that there wasn't anything that interesting to get. They actually bought *us*, Doremi's customer base.

In a couple of years they will EOL all legacy Doremi products - and parts, especially parts - and force us to "upgrade" to a new all-in-one overpriced IMS/audio processor with Atmos if we want to keep working.

I cannot imagine a different endgame, and I'm frankly wondering what they're waiting for.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-06-2016 11:11 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting theory, but their most foolish move was not including an analog 6 channel input on the CP850. I think that has hurt them more than they will ever admit, as I know of a number of theaters that were going to start doing Atmos until that little restriction popped up, then the plan went into the trash! Dolby simply is discounting the importance of alternative content.

Besides, in terms of a conventional sound processor, now you can get a QSC Core 110f audio processor for the same price as a CP750 that blows it out of the water, and not by a small margin either! The Core processors are fantastically phenomenal. Plus if you want to talk support, QSC has really got this down. No other company of that size can touch their attention to customer's needs that I've come across. They are quickly becoming a one-stop-shop for audio. Their Core processors have the best sound processing, I don't think any other speaker manufacturer outperforms the QSC line and we all know how solid their amplifiers are.

You've also got Barco's Alchemy server gaining momentum (what will kill this is not making it compatible with only Barco projectors though), USL is working hard on their server and even GDC has made changes in their design realizing the importance of things like hardware raid and not putting the drives inside the projector. Dolby will quickly find themselves dying in the cinema market if they don't start making some changes based on tech input from the field. Nothing is worse for a product than corporate personnel or programmers that are not out in the field working daily with these products in different types of scenarios making decisions on how something should operate or being able to turn "features" on and off. Case in point the silly Doremi maintenance program. Really? Why can I not turn this stupid thing off? Why is there not a place for me to tick a checkbox in the control panel to disable the stupid screensaver? (Things like this force me to root into the unit at command line level just to turn off the screensaver.)

Speaking of changes, to get back to the earlier discussion, they promised us at Cinemacon a couple of years ago that the Doremi server would have a Dolby GUI. I am with Steve here, I know some people are used to the Doremi GUI (I am one of those who am comfortable with it but prefer Dolby's GUI), but I am not a fan of a simple VNC and want a jupiter client to leave the local server in a "locked" state. Seemingly little things like the always-frustrating "must put a pause command at the start of every playlist" coupled with "must make sure the server starts playing so it can self-pause before time for the automation to initiate the show" is maddening. Dolby owns both companies now. Make an option in the control panel to activate the Dolby version of the GUI or simply create a jupiter client that if used provides that interface. The Dolby GUI already has a checkbox "check to start shows at the scheduled time". Why has this sort of thing not been implemented into the Doremi yet???

*Important disclaimer. I have no interest in servers with a stupid web GUI. When I say Dolby GUI, I mean the classic interface seen locally on a Dolby server or through the jupiter client. Web GUIs suck. Want a really good example? Go play with a Sony 515 and let's see how quickly frustrated you get when you realize only certain versions of certain browsers will connect. God forbid someone in a building does an "upgrade" to the computer's browser, or it "upgrades" itself automatically. And nevermind the lack of a proper certificate for the secure login. [Roll Eyes]

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-06-2016 12:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Pietro hit the nail on the head. Dolby bought the customer base. There is nothing Doremi was doing that Dolby couldn't do without infringing.

I agree with Brad on the CP850 that the lack of an analog multichannel input (8 channel minimum) was a big blunder. One that they could relatively easily fix. Come up with a DB25 analog to HDMI adapter. Being Dolby it cripples them that they cannot offer DTS decoding when DTS represents the vast majority of Blu-ray releases. That isn't the customer's fault.

It is my impression (and it is just that), that Dolby is putting its coding effort into their TMS to be the "unifying" item between legacy Dolby and Doremi. Of course, it comes with an annual fee. It also presumes one liked the Doremi TMS before. If ftheir servers are any indication of how they design a GUI, then I don't have high hopes. We are primarily Dolby DSS so how this support plays out for the DSS line is of great interest. I'd say most of our customers are also are of the "mini-plex" variety.

As to QSC...they have a lot of positives, for sure. Their support is mixed. The DCP product line, which is quite popular and probably should be replaced with something that is more Q-Sys based rather than Cobranet, they have been incredibly slow on software updates (read years). But yes, the personalities are great, the speakers are very good, amps are tops and I don't have any problem with their more recent DCP (Basis and beyond). Most of our rooms (just about 100%) require proper booth monitoring and a suitable UI so a CP750 with something like a CM-8E or a DCP based processor has advantages since if a Qsys was used, the monitor functions would need to be factored into the design.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 08-06-2016 03:11 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
It also would make interfacing on the phone as usable as the VNC...which is VERY weak on Doremi. Control panel icons, for instance, don't show up properly until one manually refreshes the screen.
Yup, that was my experience with the Doremi VNC server as well. It was always excruciatingly slow to respond, too. If I had an AP20 VNC window open and the Doremi one next to it on the same PC, button pushes on the AP20 window would respond in half a second or so, but on the Doremi window it could take 2-3 seconds. Same network, same router, same switches, etc., so the culprit had to be the Doremi. Along with the hideousness that is Cinelister/Ingest Manager/Content Manager, that was yet another reason why I was relieved to retire our DCP2000 for another DSS200.

quote: Brad Miller
When I say Dolby GUI, I mean the classic interface seen locally on a Dolby server or through the jupiter client.
Amen to that. The ability to run Dolby Show Manager as the front end on Doremi servers really would give them a new lease of life.

Pietro Clarici
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2016 03:47 PM      Profile for Pietro Clarici   Author's Homepage   Email Pietro Clarici   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say I seem to have been lucky with VNC, it's not fast as local but it's close enough. Maybe it's because I only have 3RU Doremi machines with internal LCD screens, and as such I'm limited to that abysmal 640x480 resolution?

What I hate about Cinelister are small things: for example, moving playlists from one server to another ignores missing content, so you have to manually move all relevant CPLs as well. Providing an option to let the SPL move all its content would be incredibly easy. It's almost like they've never been in a booth, or just don't care.

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-06-2016 03:49 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Leo, the VNC thing with the Doremi server is update based. If you click on your button and immediately move your cursor, you'll see it respond with like speed.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-06-2016 04:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Most of our rooms (just about 100%) require proper booth monitoring and a suitable UI so a CP750 with something like a CM-8E or a DCP based processor has advantages since if a Qsys was used, the monitor functions would need to be factored into the design.
But that's the thing about their Q-SYS systems, you can literally DESIGN YOUR OWN monitoring GUI from scratch. You can put any bit of data you want on it, as advanced as you want or as simplified with green/red status. Here are a couple of basic examples, but in the end it's almost limitless.

-

-

Steve Guttag

- posted 08-06-2016 08:26 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was referring to actual user monitoring (audio). Yes, with most drag and drop DSPs, one can monitor singles at most any point on the chain.

Clearly, you've set up a bit of a GUI with that one. So do you provide touchscreens or perhaps a web gui for the end user to access the UI above or is that just for your NOC to monitor the system in case of difficulties?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: