Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » help about Christie Act Automation controller

Author Topic: help about Christie Act Automation controller
Muhammad Shoaib
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2016 11:35 AM      Profile for Muhammad Shoaib   Email Muhammad Shoaib   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Sir/Madam
I want to learn that how to configure roof lights with Christie Act Automation,and what would i need to do so.
Kindly Share your precious knowledge with me.
Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-25-2016 07:32 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First, ask the moderators to move this topic to the Digitial Cinema forum. Have you tried looking at the manuals first?

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2016 11:42 AM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If asking to move this to the DC forum is first, wouldn't reading the manual be second? [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-25-2016 01:36 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moving it here is the third thing I wold do. Having already looked at the manual and then smashed the ACT to bits using an 8 pound sledge hammer. Absolutely AWFUL automation!!

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-25-2016 04:28 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ACT doesn't take pity on the uninitiated. You can use it primitively without too much effort but if you want to use its power, you need to get into its scripting thing

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-25-2016 05:45 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You have to get the scripting manual separately. At least, that was my experience. Christie will email it to you if you ask.
What little there is in the users' manual is pretty useless.
I haven't conquered the programming yet, it is not well explained.
Just raising and lowering the lights should be a pretty easy operation if you are not trying to get the ACT to do the heavy work. Send an on/off signal to the lights and or dimmer.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-25-2016 06:05 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been through the whole scripting thing with those when they were brand new. ITS NOT WORTH IT. There are much better automation options available out there for the same or less money that are miles ahead and offer way more flexibility than the act ever could...

Mark

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-26-2016 05:46 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you underestimate the ACT's flexibility. I has a lot of it BUT you have to know how to use it. Everything is flexible on it. You have serial ports you have an undefined number of Ethernet devices you can control, there are high and low current relays to control, there are front panel buttons that are completely configurable...there are LEDs on the front that can be used for any form of communication desired. BUT you have to get into the scripting thing to make use of it all. And if you DO...then you can clone your design VERY easily since, for the most part, the scripts don't contain any IPs...you merely apply those on installation so that the sound processor and projector...etc are defined to your scripts. It CAN be powerful. However, it isn't what 90% of the people really want/need.

I'm an eCNA guy...it isn't AS powerful but it has that right mix of power, configurability and flexibility for us. Lots of people are into the JNIOR. It packs a pretty good punch for its price range. Note, it too has a learning curve but it seems to satisfy many people. And even further down the food chain are those that just use the GPIO of the various servers to deal with the lights and maybe sound.

Then again, at the upper-end you could use something like AMX or Crestron where again, the sky is the limit on what you want the "automation" to do but it is entirely up to the programmer to make that happen and happen well.

I don't discount the ACT so much as to declare that, at this time, it isn't for me. I've been able to get it to do things and admire its potential but I don't find the application in the installations we've done where it is the best fit.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: