Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » NEC NC2000C Randomly Shutting Down (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: NEC NC2000C Randomly Shutting Down
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-22-2016 10:27 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm researching an issue that happened today at our sister theatre. One of our NEC NC2000Cs just randomly shut down and went into standby. The projector did not throw any errors and there did not appear to be any heat issue.

I have reviewed all the logs and I don't see any kind of errors, and no other events which might be related.

This issue has happened once or twice before, but the timing is so random and spread out that it's difficult to draw any kind of links in terms of time of day, content, format, etc.

I know projector shut downs are usually related to overheating, but there was no apparent heat issue with this projector. I called the Strong NOC and they indicated they are seeing things like this due to overloaded power girds resulting in a dip in amperage enough for the projector not to be able to keep the lamp lit.

Anyone have any other ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2016 12:11 AM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are the electronics on an UPS? If not putting them on one would eliminate voltage fluctuation issues.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-23-2016 01:07 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The projector side is on a UPS, but not the lamphouse side.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2016 01:32 AM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Assuming the UPS is working properly a power dip might cause the lamp to go off but the projector should not go into standby. Or am I misunderstand what the issue is.

One other thing that comes to mind is a white power switch issue on the projector. They are known to have problems and maybe it once in a while looses contact interrupting the power momentarily.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-23-2016 04:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Stephen hit the nail on the head on this one. If there is nothing in the logs a power problem would show up in the logs when the LPSU lost power...simulate it, Kill the LPSU power and see what shows up in the logs. But if that isn't there, look elsewhere.

I'd say it is either the power switch or your UPS (or the connectivity thereof...make sure that the IEC cord is securely in and has that strain relief secure to keep it in.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-23-2016 10:08 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a white power switch cause intermittent shutdown. In fact they have always gone bad stuck in the off position because of a little plastic rod inside that snaps off.

I too would suspect the UPS before anything else, I have had a few UPS failures from allowing the batteries to go beyond their normal life span. You get one that shorts out and its gonna drive the UPS batty and possibly damage it. Tripp Lite recommends replacing batteries ever three to four years which I now do. In some of the Tripp Lites I have replaced batteries in, the batteries were already two years old when the UPS went into service, so they were six years old!! I have not had an LVPS power supply ever fail on an NEC. I have had one ballast failure in an NC-1200 though where it wouldn't reliably light the lamp.

Anyway, I'd bypass the UPS first and eliminate that. There are commercially available Bypass Panels that allow one to safely plug everything in easily. All my locations have at least one of those panels as an immediate back up plan.

Mark

Stefan Vogels
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2016 03:28 PM      Profile for Stefan Vogels   Email Stefan Vogels   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the communicator it is possible to program the projector what to do in case the bulb unexpectedly goes off. It is either cooldown or go to stand-by. It might be set to this last setting and so when the bulb fails the projector goes to standby.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2016 04:08 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me with this projector if the lamp is off but the projector electronics and fans are on is just a lamp off state. Standby is when the power has just been turned on and the button panel is active. One has to push the power button to take it out of standby to full power lamp off. I know you have to be in the above standby state to reset the lamp hours and they call it standby. Are we all talking about the same thing?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-23-2016 07:14 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen, yes, that's the state I'm talking about. Projector has been powered on, but 'keylock' and power button have not been pressed.

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2016 07:21 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would double check the connections on the projector side from the UPS. Try a different UPS or bypass it.

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2016 12:53 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Bob Ezra
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2016 08:34 AM      Profile for Bob Ezra   Email Bob Ezra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark

I just had a Tripp Lite SMX1500LCD Digital UPS System fail. Not a battery issue, it failed to turn on (just under 3 yrs old). Fortunately I had a backup on hand.

I am wondering if you can elaborate on "commercially available Bypass Panels that allow one to safely plug everything in easily."

Thanks

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-17-2016 09:23 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They are commonly called "transfer switches" and are something we build into our automation systems now...if either the city or UPS power is there, the show runs.

A poor man's transfer switch is to plug everything into a suitable power strip (I like the Tripplite UL600CB) and then plug THAT into the UPS...if the UPS fails, plug the power strip into the outlet that the UPS was plugged into and you are back up much faster than having to replug everything back in again.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-17-2016 10:21 AM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Suitable is the key word here. Not some cheap outlet strip with a thermal breaker that will trip under load and leave you off screen.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 08-17-2016 10:57 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We solve that on Doremis by feeding one of the redundant power supplies from the UPS, the other directly from mains. So the dual power supplies add another level of redundancy.

- Carsten

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: