Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Can DCP-o-Matic add subtitles from a .srt file?

Author Topic: Can DCP-o-Matic add subtitles from a .srt file?
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-12-2016 05:36 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And if so, how?

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-12-2016 05:49 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://dcpomatic.com/manual/html/ch06s06.html

- Carsten

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-14-2016 02:49 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That doesn't look like my Subtitle tab. I'm running 1.82.0, do I need a later version?

'Use Subtitles' is there, but is always greyed out. How do I specify the file containing the subtitles? There is nowhere on the subtitles tab to do it, and if I try to add it in the same way as a video file, nothing happens.

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2016 03:44 PM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you need to be on 2.x, I would suggest the latest version 2.9.0.

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-14-2016 05:47 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Carl. I have downloaded version 2.9.0 for Mac OSX; I am running Yosemite 10.10.5. Subtitles work but I am having a problem with audio The test material I am using has simple 2 channel audio. Under the DCP tab I go to Audio, set 2 channels and no processor. Show audio brings up what I would expect to see, with the audio peaking too high. if I then go to the Content tab, and then Audio the audio map shows L and R channels in the DCP, but no channels in the content, and all of the other audio options greyed out. No problems with audio in the old version; am I doing something wrong? I've had a look in the manual, but can't see anything. Thanks for any help you can give.

Carl Hetherington
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2016 05:57 PM      Profile for Carl Hetherington   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Hetherington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you have selected in the content list at this point? You need to select the content file which contains audio to adjust its audio settings. Perhaps you could show a screenshot of DCP-o-matic when you see the problem?

Thanks, Carl

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-14-2016 06:21 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen, you probably left the subtitle file selected when you went to the audio tab. As Carl writes, select the video/audio file in the content list, then you should see the audio matrix populated and audio options enabled. Every content will have it's dedicated options enabled.

You should probably adjust the audio by -8 to -15dB, aiming at around -20dB with the RMS line.

- Carsten

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-15-2016 12:25 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that was the problem. Of course, I added the subtitle file after the video one, so that is what was selected.

I normally have to take the audio down by up to about -5 dB, but this one needed about -7.

It's difficult to judge the subtitles, particularly the size and weight of the font, in the small preview window on the laptop. I've made a DCP of a ten minute section from the film; I'll take that in tomorrow to see how it looks on the screen.

Thanks for the help.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-15-2016 04:24 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A simple tip - you can actually create a subtitle test very quickly by adding a subtitle file to a new, otherwise 'empty' project.
DCP-o-matic will create the subtitles over a black screen and silent audio within a breeze, as practically no picture has to be encoded. Limit this to 1-2min run time, and you are done within a few seconds. Create two or three DCPs with different font sizes (or repeat your subtitle file n times and adjust font size between them). Very easy, very fast. The DCP will be very small and fit on any USB memory stick.
Create one in scope, one in flat, both Interop and SMPTE, and you have some very small Test-DCPs for subtitle and subtitle position/cropping tests.

SRT files can also be very easily set up with any text editor from scratch. The easiest way to play around with DCI subtitles. And you have instant preview in DCP-o-matic.
--- snip ---
00:00:00,000 ---> 00:00:05,000
First title during the first 5 seconds

00:00:06,000 ---> 00:00:12,000
Second title during 6s through 12s

00:00:15,000 ---> 00:00:20,000
This the first line
This is the second line

<...>
--- snip ---

- Carsten

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-15-2016 08:02 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've had to edit the subtitle file to correct spelling mistakes and incorrect timing, or to split long lines which can be difficult to read.

It seems to be almost essential to use a black outline to the text, so it can be read against a light or dark background, but this does not display well in the small dcp-o- matic preview window on a 13" laptop, where the white centre to the characters almost disappears in places. The cinema is not normally open on Saturdays, but is today for a special festival screening, so I'll get there early and put my ten minute test up on screen to see how it looks.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: