Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Local Keypad (button module) not working (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Local Keypad (button module) not working
Roy Paollo San Luis
Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2016 08:28 AM      Profile for Roy Paollo San Luis   Author's Homepage   Email Roy Paollo San Luis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Anyone can help me ive tried accessing the keypad but no response all firmware and software in barco was updated>

|  IP: Logged

Dave Macaulay
Film God

- posted 07-10-2016 12:23 PM      Profile for Dave Macaulay   Email Dave Macaulay   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What model?
Did you reboot it?

Keypad connects to CCB so reseating CCB would be my next plan. Note this will be a security violation and you won't be able to play movies until you can use the keypad to clear the error... so if it's green and working now, be careful - and don't do anything if you have an important show soon.

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2016 12:33 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had to replace 2 on DP2000s. Reseat the cables, you might get lucky.
Are you talking about macros or lamp/douser keys?
If you don't have a laptop or touch screen, can you use your automation to select macros?
One thing to keep in mind is that if at least one of the macro buttons works (turns color when pressed) you can reprogram your Dallas key to use that # 8 times as a code.
Eventually you'll want a new keypad and button module.
Barco has an updated button module for Series 2 machines

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-10-2016 02:21 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My guess too is that it is a series 1 projector. I've found that the DP2000 (and like series) have keypads that go unresponsive. This can be a real pain when trying to use the Dallas key to clear an error to check on the keypad! In fact, just this past week I ran into it on a projector that had a water pump issue. I found that the "2" button was responsive so I changed the "password" so that button was all that was needed to clear it. Needless to say, that keypad is on the list of things to fix now.

On the very latest Barco DPxK projectors (late 2015 and beyond) they've changed the keypad, lens controls entirely and, in my opinion, for the better. They are like the DPxK-S series. Good button feel with easy to see color change (when you press the button the button turns magenta...the old ones did that but your finger is covering the button so it was much harder to see).

John Roddy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2016 03:42 PM      Profile for John Roddy   Author's Homepage   Email John Roddy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will second the Barco series-1 issues. We've got 14 of them left at one of my sites, and I've replaced the button module in every single one of them. In fact, I did one of them twice. And two or three more of them have totally borked lamp power buttons. The problem is just that the membrane design becomes a self-perpetuating failure of sorts. As the button wears out, you need to push it harder to get a response. At the same time, pushing it harder makes it wear out significantly faster. Replacement requires disassembly of the entire ELCA box too, so that's not fun either. It sucks.

The membranes on the series-II projectors actually seem to hold up a little better. Though I'd absolutely prefer the "traditional" button design on the newer units, as Steve mentioned. The only drawback is that it doesn't look as pretty. You know, I'm OK with that.

But back to the older series-II button panels, there are still potential troubles. One of the 32B's at my primary site has a completely unresponsive membrane. The buttons all light up correctly whenever the appropriate macro is active or the lamp/dowser is on/off, but there is absolutely no response when they're pressed. No actions taken, no lighting up magenta, nothing. Barco sent a replacement module and controller for it, which I installed without issue. That fixed it, but it stopped working pretty much the next day. Still haven't found the cause of that. Is this perhaps the issue being referred to?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-10-2016 05:28 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
lens controls entirely
I did notice the new keypad but didn't notice the lens improvement. What did Barco change?

Tim Sherman
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-11-2016 02:48 AM      Profile for Tim Sherman   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Sherman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a service call with one of these new Barco Soft Button keypads not working. Swapped the Keypad and it worked for 2 weeks. Next swapped the cable from the keypad to the backplane, worked for 2 weeks. Next swapped the backplane, been working fine after that and haven't had the problem in months.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-11-2016 08:04 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You now have a circular disc for H/V movement and two bars for Focus and Zoom. So none of the controls are the old "dimple" type membrane switches. They also no longer pre-label the 6 available presets.

Me, personally, wished they had gone back to more hard preset buttons of the Series 1 machines. Much of what we put in now are not mainstream cinemas and 6 presets just scratches the surface.

Gavin Lewarne
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2016 07:52 AM      Profile for Gavin Lewarne   Email Gavin Lewarne   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had the button panel failure on our mid 2012 2k-12c

Barco sent me one of the "new" style soft-touch button panels. been fine ever since

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-14-2016 02:40 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh you mean the lens control on the control panel, I thought you mentioned some improvement in the lens control mechanism! Thanks!

Fred Schoenfeld
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2016 02:05 PM      Profile for Fred Schoenfeld   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Schoenfeld   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HELP! I am in need of the Barco DP4K-23B touch panel! Barco says none will be available in the US until late Sept or early October. Ours was built early 2012 and none of the touch pads (keys) operate. Does anyone know if there is a temporary fix I can do until Barco ships new units to the States? If anyone has a spare I will be glad to pay freight both ways and return theirs as soon as we receive a new unit from Barco. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Stephan Shelley
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2016 02:57 PM      Profile for Stephan Shelley   Email Stephan Shelley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hook a laptop up to it and use the communicator program. You can do all the functions but clear a security tamper event.

If it has a tamper event and the projector is not usable I would check the connections to the button board. I would not do this if the projector does not have a security tamper event because going in to check the connections will cause one.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-03-2016 03:26 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the advantage of getting a new touch panel is that you will likely get one of the new ones - which hopefully will be more reliable.

Fred Schoenfeld
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2016 08:27 PM      Profile for Fred Schoenfeld   Author's Homepage   Email Fred Schoenfeld   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stephan, thanks for the reply. The problem is a 'tamper event'. The key pad is totally non-functioning. Does anyone other than Barco have a spare keypad the I could borrow until Barco has stock? I was hoping someone on Film-Tech has had this problem and has found a work-a-round while waiting for the new style keypads to arrive. I am very unhappy that a company as large as Barco does not stock parts in this country that are critical for the operation of their high end systems!

Jason Raftery
Film Handler

- posted 09-03-2016 09:32 PM      Profile for Jason Raftery   Email Jason Raftery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have an IMB in this machine, you may be able to clear the tamper server-side and get back on screen even without a working keypad on the projector. What server are you using with this projector?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: