Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » I never knew Digital Projection would come to this (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: I never knew Digital Projection would come to this
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-08-2016 03:26 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been only seeing almost all my movies at the Regal Peasrl Highland theatre here in Hawaii near where I live and have noticed the picture quality in all of the auditoriums in that complex 'sucks' real bad! The sound is ok but the quality of the image look like I was watching a faded color film print. A good example is MY BIG FAT GREEK WEDDING 2 I saw there last Mach with the awful projection. Because I love the movie, I got the Blu Ray when it came out recently and the color I saw on my HDTV when I watched the disc at home was AWESOME! I just watched THE LEGEND OF TARZAN and ID4 -2 in two different auditoriumsthere and both had color that look the same. The projection equipment at this theater complex is SONY. When the complex switched to digital with the Sony projectors, the color in all of the movies I saw there were great. I only began to notice the problem with their projection during the past year. Does anyone know why this has happened?

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-08-2016 03:57 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Claude S. Ayakawa
SONY
One word answer.

Prob why the presentation was flat looking that the bulb was close to age and with the SONY units, it really shows up bad.

Another thing is the projector could have been a twin lens unit, which doesn't merit well when projecting 2D content.

Other could be that the LCoS chipset, which isn't the greatest system for projecting digital image, is getting tired out or similar.

Yet, all will be fixed.

Heard through the tech buzz (which, don't take me for gospel) that SONY has bailed out of the cinema industry completely with the discontinue of making the SRX-R220 and 320 units and will concentrate on consumer products of sound and home video.

REG will be replacing all of their SONY units with Christie when the time is appropriate.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-08-2016 05:30 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Locally the 2 biggies here are Regal and Cinematk. Regal of course is Sony 4K, Cinemark is Barco. I don't know if the Barcos are 2K or 4K but they always look better than the Sonys. Could be setup, could be something else. The Barcos win though.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-08-2016 05:37 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Heard through the tech buzz (which, don't take me for gospel) that SONY has bailed out of the cinema industry
If this is true then this is the second time they've stuck it to the cinema industry. The first time it was with SDDS.

Dave Stambaugh, The ONLY real advantage of the Sony Lcos is that it can do pure black. DLP can not. DLP is a far superior projection format and newer Cinemark NextGen Theaters have 4K DLP on all screens.

Mark

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-08-2016 05:51 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
If this is true then this is the second time they've stuck it to the cinema industry. The first time it was with SDDS.
And (again, if true) it's for very similar reasons. SDDS and LCOS were both science experiments that were trying to deliver a level of performance that leapfrogged the competition: in the case of SDDS, higher audio bandwidth than SR-D or DTS, and in the case of LCOS, greater color depth and contrast ratio than DLP.

To a certain extent they succeeded, but they fell so far behind the competition on price, longevity and reliability that they failed to establish a viable market foothold.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-09-2016 12:41 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Prob why the presentation was flat looking that the bulb was close to age and with the SONY units, it really shows up bad.
If I followed your logic, then any Dolby 3D installation is going to be dark and dull by definition.

Sony machines cannot be as bright as a DLP one. It's a fact. But if you properly spec a Sony on a screen as you'd do with a DLP machine, the brightness you'd get over time won't be any lower than the one achieved on a DLP.

Providing both machines are serviced as per Sony/DLP schedule as usual.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-09-2016 12:46 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually don't know of any Dolbly 3-D installation on Sony machines in the USA. Only Real-D.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-09-2016 12:56 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry Marco I respectfully disagree with you.

The Sony Lcos engine ages BADLY compared to the DLP engine. Lcos loses both color and contrast as the heat of the lamp ages it...

DLP on the other hand usually only ends up with stuck mirrors or in badly designed projectors, dirt buildup.

BOTH systems will suffer from badly aged lamps, in 2D or 3D, but again Sony's are far more sensitive to lamp age. DLPs tend to act "film-like" with aged bulbs, with loss of contrast and uneven light.

I am not the least bit surprised that Sony bailed out again...I bid a job some years ago that I spec'd Christie DLP for the quality, lower operating cost and ease of service....the location went with Sony (and I dropped out because they didn't want to even consider options) and from day one had non stop problems with the Sony projector. (This was a university and the room was a lecture hall and cinema dual use, like the UC Irvine one I posted in the Warehouse).

The reason for going Sony? Most of the smaller halls used Sony's non-DLP projectors, and the A/V person bought into Sony's offer of a "free" projector for the new install. That "free" projector had, at the last word I heard, cost them over $150,000 in extra equipment and labor costs and a LOT of downtime.

Now they are going to find out that support for their decision is no longer gonna be available soon.

Hey Sony, I got a message for you: [fu]

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-09-2016 01:17 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
I actually don't know of any Dolbly 3-D installation on Sony machines in the USA. Only Real-D.

Mark,
you've completely missed my point! [Smile]

Tony
Disagreement is good!
The contrast thing is something I heard before I actually saw a Sony machine. Everybody said that Sony's were losing contrast badly and that black would become milky and awful.
Then I saw my first Sony installation and I knew that I was told rubbish. I've never seen a Sony with milky blacks.

I've seen rubbish picture on Sony machines where brightness went down to 5-6fL in 2D. The moment you change the lamp, service the projector and align everything, all goes back to what it's supposed to be.

Sony is very active selling R515 now. Following the same logic, Christie bailed out the Cinema market when they stopped selling CP2210 then. Come on!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-09-2016 01:37 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marco Giustini
I've seen rubbish picture on Sony machines where brightness went down to 5-6fL in 2D. The moment you change the lamp, service the projector and align everything, all goes back to what it's supposed to be.
That's sorta the point: these machines have a reputation for rapidly diminishing picture quality unless they receive more intensive maintenance by trained professionals than their competitors need to maintain an equivalent level of performance.

Last year I changed my 1999 Honda Civic (needs oil changes every 3,000 miles per the maintenance manual) for a 2015 Fit (every 10,000). If the '99 car is maintained per the book, it'll be every bit as reliable as the new one, but it does cost, I would guess, an extra 20-30 hours of maintenance time, plus the replacement parts and fluids, a year.

When a theater is considering a major capital investment such as a a d-cinema projector, the running cost and reliability over its design life is a major factor in the decision. There's no point in making a $20k saving in the purchase price if you're then going to spend more than that maintaining it. Although, admittedly, I've never used or maintained Sony d-cinema projectors, everything I've heard from people who have suggests to me that this is where they fall significantly behind Barco, Christie and NEC.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-09-2016 01:49 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Sony is very active selling R515 now. Following the same logic, Christie bailed out the Cinema market when they stopped selling CP2210 then. Come on!
What drugs are you smoking and why aren't you sharing with the rest of us? [Big Grin]

Christie did NOT bail on anything...the CP2210 got replaced with the CP2208 (same lumens but .68 DLP) and added the CP2215 (which I feel is close enough to the 2210 but has a bit more light)..so how is that "bailing" when they delete one model and ADD TWO?

Plus, Christie's tech support has always been excellent. In every screening room I did, in the rare cases where issues arose I had a tech on the phone in minutes who walked me through the issues, and when I needed a part it was always waiting for me on will call (I was less than an hour from their plant) every time without fail. Even exchanging a wrong lens was hassle free. Try that with Sony and see what happens.

The one room I did where they put in a Sony they went through 5 (!) media blocks in ONE YEAR...the repairs costs were huge (because only Sony techs were allowed to work on it), they are on their third Lcos engine ..the ONLY reason that POS stayed in that room is because the client did like the black levels (which I agree with BTW, they are awesome) and he has the money and doesn't mind spending it to keep it going. He has often lamented getting rid of the Christie that was there before though, he loved how it was essentially maintenance free (annual bulb and filter changes).

He also doesn't run it 10+ hours a day like a cinema, which makes the costs and maintenance issues worse.

I will agree that a fresh Lcos has a great picture quality (just like SDDS with a good track on the film had great sound quality, much cleaner that the others), but the initial expense, ongoing maintenance costs, durability issues AND the repeated history of Sony dropping support (Pro video, Betamax, SDDS, etc.) makes Sony a four-letter "S" word..one I would never sell to any client at any cost.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-09-2016 01:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Marco, That is definitely the point. Sony projectors require noticeably more maintenance than a DLP-based machine of any brand to keep looking good on screen. Here in the US I see chains with Sony receive very little maintenance and they just look absolutely awful. Next time you're in the area let me know and I'll gladly drive you around to various local examples and you will see what the general complaining is all about. With as pro-Sony as you are, it's clear you are very persistent with the maintenance on your Sony machines, but that's just not the reality here in the US. Too many screens and too few technicians, plus a lack of proper PM time.

Also I just love how their T-cores can't make more than 3 years without turning yellow. That's frustrating.

Tony, re-read Marco's quote in your post above. He was making a point and was not serious about Christie dropping out of the cinema market.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-09-2016 02:27 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad,

Next time I'm in Texas I'll definitely join the tour! [Smile]

quote: Brad Miller
Here in the US I see chains with Sony receive very little maintenance and they just look absolutely awful
Every machine require maintenance. I agree that DLP machines won't suffer so much if they are not being maintained but I don't really want to discuss which projector is better based of their ability to survive lack of maintenance!

I don't feel I'm particularly pro-Sony or pro-DLP. I think I am analysing the facts I have, which may be incorrect indeed, that's why we are talking.
Failed media blocks? Possibly. What about failed Christie IMB's - just to stay in Christie realm? Or failed ICP's. Or failed Barco prism switches! (NEC and GDC don't really fail, do they?)
Every brand has its own ups and downs. Don't think I feel that Sony are perfect and DLP are rubbish, just that I think the comments on Sony machines are most of the time unfair.

Thanks Brad for clarifying my ironic comment on Christie going out of business!

And Tony: no, I won't share you my good stuff! [Big Grin]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-09-2016 03:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main point of deterioration in DLP is going to be the heat mirrors, reflector, and the fold mirrors after that. There isn't really any deterioration per say in the light engine itself or the integrator. But any reflective surfaces need to be kept clean (a constant headache with older Barcos) and transmissivity of mirrors needs to be watched. There are meters that can measure transmissivity of those parts. But this is all happens so slowly compared to how fast LCOS heads south that it is very negligible.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-09-2016 09:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I agree that DLP machines won't suffer so much if they are not being maintained but I don't really want to discuss which projector is better based of their ability to survive lack of maintenance!
But therein lies the problem. Your cinema or chain may be an exception, but from what I've seen most theaters do not receive truly great maintenance. As such, therein lies a very important point which must be factored in...which projector can survive best without truly nitpicky maintenance? It's just the way the industry is right now.

If you don't agree, perhaps you should read up on CDS sound. Technically it was supposed to be superior in quality to the later formats...but the level of maintenance was extremely high to keep it running.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: