Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Ghostbusters (2016) Aspect Ratio (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Ghostbusters (2016) Aspect Ratio
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-06-2016 03:28 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I received an email from Sony this morning indicating the aspect ratio of Ghostbusters is Flat for 3D and Scope for 2D. I don't recall any previous movie with different aspect ratios for 2D and 3D.

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-06-2016 03:40 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're probably putting 3D objects on the black bars so the movie is scope but they ask you to run it in flat so to see the black bars. That was the case with another one which I cannot remember right now.
In 2D that's not required so it keeps a proper aspect ratio.

Just my 2p opinion, haven't sent it yet

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-06-2016 04:05 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't they do that with Life of Pi?

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2016 04:10 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does an email like this confuse all those theaters who are running scope features letterboxed on flat 1.85 screens anyways? [Razz]

Matt Russell
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2016 04:11 PM      Profile for Matt Russell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like Disney's "floating window" technique for their 3D films and in the case of a scope movie, may have black bars around the frame. It'll probably turn out as Marco described, which is why they want the 3D shown in flat.

Mike Schulz
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2016 05:21 PM      Profile for Mike Schulz   Email Mike Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Avatar having many different aspect ratios depending on which format it was played in, too.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-06-2016 06:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Marco Giustini
They're probably putting 3D objects on the black bars so the movie is scope but they ask you to run it in flat so to see the black bars
So the movie's gonna look letterboxed no matter what. That's ... awesome.

The closer this gets, the more it seems to have "turd" written all over it. Aside from the trailers completely sucking, even the stars and the studio don't seem all that enthusiastic about it. Even the one-sheets are terrible.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2016 07:28 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film they did this before was G-Force (3d Gini pig movie from 2009)

The 3d version will run in flat, but is letterboxed scope and 3D effects will come out over the letterboxes.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-06-2016 11:36 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 'scope format is a freaking sad, deplorable joke in movie theaters anymore. The biggest, best, most highest resolution format on 35mm is now the smallest and lowest resolution format. But. It's. Still. DIGITAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burp.

I think the odd thing about the Ghostbusters all-female re-make, sequel or whatever the hell movie this is supposed to be is that it acknowledges the reality of how shitty many "modern" multiplex movie theaters have become. It's all about crappy common width screens. Not common height. In digital and common width oriented theater screens, 'scope is really the smaller and cheaper format. Yet us idiot water-brain babies at home think 'scope is always better. Hollywood is basically screwing us customers. And this gambit with Ghostbusters is a way for the global media elites to up the ante to underscore just how stupid us mindless customers really can be. Let us not forget about the lack of freaking MASKING!!!! "Oh but we're going to show some 3D movie stuff going above and below the black bars. It will be so special. You'll cream you jeans over this stuff!" This is essentially why we can be watching a TV style letterboxed movie, un-masked, in a commercial theater for 1st run ticket prices. Showmanship? Fuck you. By the way, thank you, IMAX, for really making this kind of crap standard. You really pioneered something there.

I wonder if the "IMAX" version is going to be treated the same way. Or will it be rendered differently, like a full imager 2048 X 1080 image for 2K and 4096 X 2160 for those 3 or 4 laser installations IMAX has. They don't seem to have any more than 3 or 4 laser systems installed. Otherwise they might actually list the shit specifically on their website instead of implying that all "IMAX" theaters are the same.

Matt Smith
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2016 02:13 AM      Profile for Matt Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got an e-mail asking us to read the projection specifications, without actually attaching the specifications but I figured it would be something like this. You can see from the trailers the effect when they fire the proton streams and they come out of the frame.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-07-2016 03:20 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matt

The specification disappeared like a ghost... Ok, that's bad! [Wink]

So to show a few fancy proton effects they run the whole movie in letterbox. What are those people thinking?

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2016 06:15 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How bout doing a 3D movie in 1.85, but have it be shown in 2.35 with side bars so effects can come out of those? [Razz]

I thought the "stuff in the black bars" on G-Force was done just for the Blu-Ray, at least I know now it wasn't changed from the theatrical version, as more irrelevant as that gets.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-07-2016 06:28 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The black bars allow objects to travel in front of the screen with out the odd being chopped off by the masking it actually has been often mentioned in many old 3d publications as part of the ideal 3d setup
So if one doesn't like it don't go
I am getting a little tired of the same people bemoaning that scope is now inferior to flat
The public has chosen to patronize stadium theatre over sloped floor and the geometry of those rooms vs the cost to build will favor a squarer screen format.
And this is a business not a high art form so some of you get off the high horses Digital Imax even though not as good as 15/70 is here to stay fixed width screens are here to stay and will only change if the customers choose to stay away end of rant

Marcel Birgelen
Film God

- posted 07-08-2016 02:22 AM      Profile for Marcel Birgelen   Email Marcel Birgelen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are sufficient theaters out there that combine stadium seating with "scope sized" screens. Maybe most converted "sloped floor" theaters don't really have the geometry to do it properly, but that's no excuse for new builds.

A few years back, it seemed like scope was dying as an aspect ratio, but I'd say it's the dominant format for big budget Hollywood productions right now. Many of those Digital IMAX and PLF thingies are showing scope movies, which are supposed to be shown BIGGER than flat, in unmasked letterboxed form. Therefore it's major pita scope being treated so poorly.

Matt Smith
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2016 12:24 PM      Profile for Matt Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the letter that comes with the drive explaining the effect for those that are interested.

-

I'm really looking forward to seeing this in IMAX 3D on Monday!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: