Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Two character language code for Hindi.

Author Topic: Two character language code for Hindi.
Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-04-2016 08:46 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen both HI and HN; which should it be? I'm making some DCPs from trailers, and want to get it right.

|  IP: Logged

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2016 10:13 AM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see it as HI for the digital cinema naming convention.

http://isdcf.com/papers/ISDCF-Doc7-DigitalCinemaLanguageCodes.pdf

Harold

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2016 10:29 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to info I have, HI is the correct code for Hindi

(Source "Digital Cinema Naming Conventions" Appx 1a, Pg 5)

HN and HIN are listed as 'obsolete' in Appx 1c "Obsolete Codes"

ALSO
>When used to indicate subtitle language, if the language code is
in UPPER CASE, the subtitles are generated in real time by the
projector. If the language code is lower case, the subtitles are
burned into the image already."<

(same source)

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 07-04-2016 12:28 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jim. I suspected that there was a language code distinction between XML subtitles and burnt-in, but never got around to looking up the ISDCF rules to find out what it was.

Stephen - are your Hindi subtitles transliterated into the Latin alphabet, or do they actually use Devanagari script? If the latter and they are XML (not burnt-in), are there any problems with the projector recognizing and rendering the character set?

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2016 01:25 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because subtitles are required to include a font file, it SEEMS like there should not be a character issue. On closed captioning, devices always use their internal font. The USL CCR-100, CCR-200, and CCH-100 have a pretty extensive character set ( http://ftp.uslinc.com/ftp/Products/CCR-100/Documents/Technical/CharacterSet130614.txt ). It has worked on every left to right language I've tried. They do not yet support right to left text which is WAY COMPLICATD in the Unicode bidirectional algorithm.

Harold

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-04-2016 05:27 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim, thanks for the info re. upper and lower case; I didn't know about that.

Leo, neither. They're burned in English subtitles on Hindi films. The trailers come from various sources, whatever we can get. Sometimes they come from the distributors, sometimes from Internet sites, and sometimes from video extracted from DVDs.

The films themselves are sometimes supplied as DCPs, and sometimes as DVDs which nearly always seem to be either very good - for SD video - quality, or very bad. The DCPs always seem to be encrypted, with the KDM usually expiring at or just before midnight on the day of the screening. The DVDs are nearly always all region NTSC, letterboxed, with the subtitles often partly in the picture area, and partly in the bottom black bar.

These are not our screenings; they are for an Indian arts group, mainly dance, which does occasional film screenings. We just supply a projectionist for them.

Annli Com
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2016 07:00 AM      Profile for Annli Com   Author's Homepage   Email Annli Com   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hindi Naming,
Difrent DCP Creaters Using Difrent Naming Policy !!
XXXXXXXX_TRL-3_HN-XX_IN-UA_51-HN_2K_20160615_PFLDC
But Another Compony Used Naming HI_HN
XXXXXXXXX-T-R_TLR_S_HI-XX_IN-U_51-HN_2K_20160621_SDC_OV

ShibuPaul

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 07-08-2016 05:16 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Annli, Yes, you're seeing the same thing as I am.

Jim, I'd never seen that lower case thing before, and then yesterday something, not an Indian film, turned up with it.

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 07-08-2016 06:34 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The lowercase definition for burnt-in subs is fairly new.

- Carsten

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2016 11:35 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several posts back, I quoted this rule from the DCP naming document:

"When used to indicate subtitle language, if the language code is
in UPPER CASE, the subtitles are generated in real time by the projector.
If the language code is lower case, the subtitles are burned into the
image already."

I'm head-tech for a week-long Japanese Film Festival later this month.
Here's an actual example of the above rule from one of the films I was
ingesting today with 'burned-in' subs. Compare with the CPL above it.
 -

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: