Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Digital Cinema Forum   » Playback possible with RTC lost on Doremi DP2K4

Author Topic: Playback possible with RTC lost on Doremi DP2K4
Michal Matys
Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2016 12:18 PM      Profile for Michal Matys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

So, I have this strange thing that happened.

On Friday, the doremi server logged out, after we logged in, the time and date was something like 12AM On 1st of January 2008. After reboot, the date was okay, but the time was shifted 4 hours back and couldnt be adjusted. I ran the detailed report through the analyzer, and it showed me that the battery on dolphin board is bad (I have replaced the battery 2 months ago or so). Until this point we were able to play feature which requied KDMS since those KDMS were valid for longer period of time than few hours.

I have decided to replace the battery again since that is what the log recommended, and after the replacement I got the message that RTC is lost, in diagnostic tool you can see RTC missing.

Well, I thought that this is game over for the media block, but I tried to play feature with KDM and it works.

I have contacted dolby, and they dont belive me that the playback is possible, they say it shouldnt work at all, but the server is playing movie right now not any issues at all (appart from the RTC error)

Anyone had any simmilar issue?

Michal

|  IP: Logged

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-27-2016 01:09 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What type of Dolphin, which versions of SMS, Firmware, SecurityManager?

There have been a few reports about a waggy RTC battery surviving a change. Then, software displays can always show faulty messages.

After what I heard about Dolphin batteries, I would always try and carefully change the battery on a running server. That, however, is not an option for the IMB/IMS.

- Carsten

Michal Matys
Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2016 04:22 AM      Profile for Michal Matys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Its 1.2 dolphin, fw21.2k, sm 2.0.17.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-28-2016 11:11 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe the non-DCI firmware you're using is less fussy about the RTC?

Michal Matys
Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2016 04:53 AM      Profile for Michal Matys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
how could this be non dci fw when its released by doremi?

Thank you

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-29-2016 05:36 AM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not all Dolphin boards and Doremi software revisions have been DCI/CTP compliant.

Aside from that:

--- from support.doremitechno.org ---
Parent Category: Digital Cinema Player Category: Hardware
RTC lost after battery replacement

Created on Tuesday, 13 May 2014 14:28
If after replacing the RTC battery you get the message RTC lost.

Before creating a ticket for an RMA, please ensure the server has been running (powered) for 30 minutes, power off, removal the Dolphin card, refit the Dolphin card, power up, run the NTP sync command (/doremi/sbin/ntpwrap.sh <enter>), but the ntp services needs to be set up) as in some cases the RTC will recover. If this has been done then a ticket can be created.
-------
Secure clock battery replacement (RTC) warning

Created on Friday, 03 January 2014 21:54
The warning message "Secure clock battery replacement" is only a warning and not considered to be a show stopper.
Please perform the required battery replacement procedure at your next scheduled preventive maintenance visit.

The warning message will not stop playback, unless the battery expires.
If the server is running DCI (CTP) compliant versions, and RTC is lost, the DCI spec states that if there is No RTC (Real Time Clock) there is no playback. The RTC is located on the mediablock (Dolphin/IMB/IMS)
------

- Carsten

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 06-29-2016 12:33 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dolphin 1.2 can have DCI or non-DCI fw installed. If your projector is series 1 and does not support Cinelink 2 then your only choice is non-DCI sw. Same happens with Dolby and other manufacturers.

21.2k is indeed the non-DCI fw for Dolphin 1.2

Michal Matys
Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2016 01:02 PM      Profile for Michal Matys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys thank you for explaining.

I will try the procedure with reseating and then trying to recover the rtc tonight, strange thing is dolby did not recommend to try that.

Thanks again.

Michal

Carsten Kurz
Film God

- posted 06-29-2016 03:55 PM      Profile for Carsten Kurz   Email Carsten Kurz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure you have the server running for at least 30min. Still try to swap the battery carefully WHILE the server is running. PowerDown, unplug and replug the card. CR2032 can be of low quality today, you should at least test the voltage before inserting it.

- Carsten

Michal Matys
Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2016 06:40 PM      Profile for Michal Matys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I tested everything but it seems like that it is dead (well working for now) and will need to be replaced.

Thanks for the ideas anyway!

Michal

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: